Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #3,617 of 19,009
Not sure if I told anyone but I met Rob watts at hi-fi lounge. . Anyway someone asked what's the best source and Rob watts got his phone out and I'll never forget it, the bloke is a total genius, I agree with him, phone,laptop is the best source, I've saved myself 16 grand straight away, pre amp don't need one that's another 16 grand saved . Ppl say Chord gear is expensive but John Franks and Rob watts have saved me a fortune

P.S :- another sixteen grand saved on an amp!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #3,618 of 19,009
Not sure if I told anyone but I met Rob watts at hi-fi lounge. . Anyway someone asked what's the best source and Rob watts got his phone out and I'll never forget it, the bloke is a total genius, I agree with him, phone,laptop is the best source, I've saved myself 16 grand straight away, pre amp don't need one that's another 16 grand saved . Ppl say Chord gear is expensive but John Franks and Rob watts have saved me a fortune

P.S :- another sixteen grand saved on an amp!

Meh.

Connecting anything with USB directly will degrade the sound.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #3,622 of 19,009
I have some reservations about that.
My two cents: Both the DAVE and the Hugo M Scaler sound identical via both optical and USB. Sometimes I believe to hear a very sublte difference in favor of Toslink (minimally smoother), but a few moments later they sound the same again. In any event it's not worth caring about.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #3,623 of 19,009
My two cents: Both the DAVE and the Hugo M Scaler sound identical via both optical and USB. Sometimes I believe to hear a very sublte difference in favor of Toslink (minimally smoother), but a few moments later they sound the same again. In any event it's not worth caring about.

Thats confirmed at my end. I also did usb and optical tests, they both sound more or less identical but, this could of been placebo but a couple of times when I switched over, it felt like usb sounded fuller. But I could not definitively say one was better than the other.

However I do choose to use optical on my computers and usb for my phone/ipads.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #3,624 of 19,009

I find the Hugo 2 the same. Was disappointed to read that some found USB on the Qutest, not as smooth as optical.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #3,625 of 19,009
I should of said speak to jazz, an other very intelligent bloke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back