Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 24, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #2,117 of 18,990
@Rob Watts

Hi Rob, owner of a TT 2 for the past week and a half and it has been thoroughly enjoyable so far. When listening, instruments sound very real - the attack / transients are incredible; extremely resolving, pristine clean with a background as black as the void, musical with incredible bass reproduction out of the head amp output (only nitpick is the lack of a female 4-pin XLR for convenience - want to use my custom XLR HP cable). Listening via Focal Clear, Sony MDR Z1R and HD650's. I can honestly say the TT2 is punching above its price point.

I'd like to ask a question about the TT 2's D/A stage; looking beyond the FPGA / digital filtering stage, before the output amplification stage. How does the TT2 actually convert the FPGA digital output into an analogue signal? Can you please give an overview? I understand you are using a discreet output stage of your own design but what is the fundamental architecture of it? Is it a delta-sigma D/A? R2R Ladder (doubt it)?

Here's the exam question: If delta-sigma, what makes it better than the cheap D/A delta-sigma chip in my phone of which are worth pennies?

Thanks.
Yes as @Rhamnetin says it's a 10 element pulse array.

Do a search on Head-Fi, I have done lots of posts explaining it in detail.

But in a half dozen short sentences for TT2:

1. It's delta sigma but with 300 dB noise shapers running at 104MHz. That's a billion times more small signal resolution than high end DACs, and this accuracy is needed to preserve micro small details; and this is needed for depth perception.
2. Pulse array is innately jitter insensitive - no measurable jitter at all.
3. Pulse array has no measurable noise floor modulation. All other DACs have easily measured noise floor modulation.
4. Pulse array innately has negligible distortion (it's actually well below -150dB - see Dave measurements).
5. Pulse array has no measurable fundamental non-linearity - it will resolve a +/-32 bit LSB signal (-186.6 dB) accurately.
6. Pulse array needs minimal filtering, and no differential tricks; hence the analogue is very simple (one amp, two resistors, two capacitors) in the direct signal path.

In short it bears no resemblance to any other DAC topology at any price.

Rob

Oct 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,118 of 18,990
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #2,120 of 18,990
just a sec need my specs. LOL

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,123 of 18,990
If i were you Paul i wouldn't accept a measly 2k. At the very least 6 months to 1 year pay don't compromise and don't accept their offer.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,124 of 18,990
I've sent Roger a million emails!Can't bloody wait now won't sleep tonight.Can't remember how to set up Roon with it though

Mine pre-ordered too, though I’m trying to be cool about it! Seems others on this forum have already got theirs, so keeping cool could go out the window! Be interesting to see who gets first.

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #2,125 of 18,990
Mine pre-ordered too, though I’m trying to be cool about it! Seems others on this forum have already got theirs, so keeping cool could go out the window! Be interesting to see who gets first.
Spoke to Roger today, he reckons silver ones coming in next week but he not sure about the black ones, I'm convinced the black demo one he received was mine but hey ho.It's all paid for now so can get excited waiting for it now, I just know I'm gonna be blown away

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2,126 of 18,990
Spoke to Roger today, he reckons silver ones coming in next week but he not sure about the black ones, I'm convinced the black demo one he received was mine but hey ho.It's all paid for now so can get excited waiting for it now, I just know I'm gonna be blown away
Did you get new headphones for the occasion ?

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #2,129 of 18,990
They got slaughtered in the reviews I've read,think they called susvara or something
I prefer headphones with either wood on them or ones that have numbers in the name. Makes upgrading easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back