Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #1,516 of 18,958
Easily +1

Two different worlds.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #1,517 of 18,958
For sure. I sold my WA8 after I had the Hugo 2 for 3 weeks. The WA8 is of course a very different flavour though to the chord dac’s. Once I got addicted to the speed of the H2 I found it hard to fully enjoy the WA8. I expect the TT2 will outclass the H2 handidly. However whilst I was going to get the TT2 I think I will delay that now and get the M scaler and pair it with the Hugo 2. As I don’t need the extra power with my current phones (Utopia and LCDi4). Future purchase path though will likely be the TT2 (after M scaler) and then the abyss Phi CC.

Aug 4, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,518 of 18,958
TT2 is a sure bet. You know Nogi TT2 performs brilliantly with easy to drive cans. You have the noise shaper/98k taps as a start.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,519 of 18,958
Please Mr @Rob Watts,

I am looking at the Hugo 2 specs vs the Hugo TT 2 specs.

Hugo 2:
Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 element Pulse Array design

Hugo TT 2:
Tap length filter: 93,304-tap 16FS WTA 1 – 10 element design

Generally comparing the two, TT 2 more taps, super-caps, and higher output voltage. However I wondered if that was more or less the sum of the differences. I am wondering what the 16FS WTA means.

I remember statements like that about the filters, and just searched them.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-614#post-13894720
You discussed:
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.

and:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-423#post-13622123
That's it exactly. The linear interpolation is either 256FS>2048FS (white/green) or 16Fs>2048FS (orange/red).

Sorry I am not picking you up on anything. Just trying to evaluate the TT 2 better. I remember a list of the filter settings and what WTA, I think applied. However I found it in a more sentence like fashion.

Is the FS WTA date for the Hugo 2 missing off the webpage? Or is it identical between the Hugo 2 and TT 2? Or more advanced on the TT 2? Not that I am exactly clear on FS WTA, but asking anyway.

The WTA 1 is 98,304 taps. 16 FS means it is 16 times the Frequency of Sampling. Convention normally means 1 FS is 44.1 or 48 kHz; so 16 FS is then 16 times faster or 705.6 or 768 kHz. Its a bit confusing, as FS can also mean Full Scale i.e. dBFS, which is the max digital OP in dB...

The WTA 2 filter (16FS to 256 FS) is identical to Hugo 2 and Dave.

The sound of TT2 is certainly more than the sum of its parts; it sounds warmer and fuller than Hugo 2, even when you are listening with easy to drive headphones. The improved noise shaper I can use also gives better detail resolution and transparency.

Hey @Rob Watts apologies for quoting an old post, I'm just wondering if you could give your opinion on converting 192kHz files to 96kHz using something like XLD? Assuming I'm using one of your DACs, is there any downside to this? I'm also having occasional problems playing back 192kHz files.

Is that crackles you can hear with 192? I get that with my Win 10 tablet and JRiver. The only solution I found that seems to work 9it will probably stop working again after the next update) is to set the processor to 100% speed operation as the minimum. This is with a powerful i7. I find it amusing that software guys say it's easy to do 1M taps filtering, which of course requires a huge amount of processing, but I find PC's struggle with dumb simple tasks like just sending bit perfect 192 or re-packaging DoP DSD...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #1,520 of 18,958
The sound of TT2 is certainly more than the sum of its parts; it sounds warmer and fuller than Hugo 2, even when you are listening with easy to drive headphones. The improved noise shaper I can use also gives better detail resolution and transparency.

Hi Rob, certainly how I heard comparison at Canjam and reported here. If MScaler is added to Hugo 2 and TT, would the TT combo still have a warmer fuller sound?

And extra resolution? I would like that, but not necessary the warmth as I love the light airy sound of H2 in a headphone system. Connected to hifi another story, as when I reviewed TT1 and loved the extra fullness .

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #1,521 of 18,958
Is that crackles you can hear with 192? I get that with my Win 10 tablet and JRiver. The only solution I found that seems to work 9it will probably stop working again after the next update) is to set the processor to 100% speed operation as the minimum. This is with a powerful i7. I find it amusing that software guys say it's easy to do 1M taps filtering, which of course requires a huge amount of processing, but I find PC's struggle with dumb simple tasks like just sending bit perfect 192 or re-packaging DoP DSD...
Not crackles, it usually manifests as Audirvana just giving up playing a track and skipping to the next one. This only happens with 192kHz tracks, and only on my old computer. Converting these files to 96kHz using XLD works as a solution for this, but what I really want to know is are there any potential side effects doing this?

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #1,522 of 18,958
Hi Rob, certainly how I heard comparison at Canjam and reported here. If MScaler is added to Hugo 2 and TT, would the TT combo still have a warmer fuller sound?

And extra resolution? I would like that, but not necessary the warmth as I love the light airy sound of H2 in a headphone system. Connected to hifi another story, as when I reviewed TT1 and loved the extra fullness .

Yes TT2 is warmer than Hugo 2 with the M scaler too. Depth and detail resolution is also better.

Not crackles, it usually manifests as Audirvana just giving up playing a track and skipping to the next one. This only happens with 192kHz tracks, and only on my old computer. Converting these files to 96kHz using XLD works as a solution for this, but what I really want to know is are there any potential side effects doing this?

Sure there will be losses involved, and it depends upon the quality of the decimation filter. But keep to integer decimation (192>96) and the loss will be minimal with a decent filter.

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #1,523 of 18,958
Was that depth and resolution is better on TT2 than hugo2/scaler? I would have thought it would be the other way round Rob?

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,524 of 18,958
Was that depth and resolution is better on TT2 than hugo2/scaler? I would have thought it would be the other way round Rob?

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,526 of 18,958
Thankyou. Does the TT2 switch on and off with a power switch/button like on dave. just simple on and off. no internal battery here.

Apart from added detail and resolution what other real world musical qualities would strike a listener for the first time going from H2 to TT2.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #1,528 of 18,958
So does the M-Scaler have an internal battery?? How has Rob used it on a plane with the H2??

No internal battery. RW uses an external battery for mobile use.

Aug 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #1,529 of 18,958

I’m fine with JRiver playing 192 from a very low powered Windows10 netbook. Might be worth fiddling with your buffering settings in J River. I can also play 192 streamed from Qobuz without issues, though Qobuz doesn’t like the Chord ASIO driver for anything above 44.1 - the music slows down dreadfully! - but the WASAPI esclusive mode driver is fine.

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #1,530 of 18,958
I would bet that the TT 2 outclasses the WA8 in every regard.

I am anxiously waiting. It was mentioned that bass may be perceived distortion. The Chord products are "transparent." I'll be still doing a comparison. Right now my Qutest plays through the Elekit so that probably colors image and bass is deeper but not as powerful as WA 8. I'm just at disadvantage of not having even a TT near to audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back