Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,321 of 18,907
Hugo 2 is a portable device. TT2 is not. Clarification will come soon. Thankyou.

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,322 of 18,907
Chord should really just make and sell the proper adapter/cables (or include it with the M Scaler).

They should but, I asked my canjam contact to specifically ask that question.

He was told no, the cables for a connection to H2 are not supplied with the Mscaler.

I could be wrong. However, If its true, thats a huge oversight on Chords behalf, as I am sure a £1 or even a £5 cable wouldn’t dissuade buyers, even if it was tacked on to the price. Buyers do not want or should not need to ghetto mod a cable just to get things working.

So @Rob Watts and @Mojo ideas, do we get a cable with the mscaler that will allow a direct connection to Hugo 2 or, do we have to build it ourselves ? If its not included in the mscaler box, does Chord have any plans to build one and sell them as an extra, similar to the Mojo Accessory Kit. ?

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #1,323 of 18,907
Your contact Phuca. Was he operating undercover.:dark_sunglasses:

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,325 of 18,907
No reclockers don't do it. The chord dac will cover that.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,327 of 18,907
Yes for sure. Roy describes the stack as the world's most potent transportable headphone system.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,328 of 18,907
How is it powered though?? ?

Most planes have AC on board. 8 hours in flight... Not to mention even longer London-Las Vegas.

I've been stopped for extra screening carrying a power bank...

I'm TSA pre-Check and had to wait 15 minutes while they looked Woo WA-8 over.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #1,329 of 18,907
How does the dectet perform dawktah?

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,330 of 18,907
With all the frenzy being about the m-scaler I haven’t seen anything on here re the TT 2 from anyone who has heard it at the show. Really keen to hear anyone’s feedback ie does it sound closer to Dave or Hugo 2, what cans did they use with it? I can’t wait to try them myself in October, and decide if I will buy the TT2 or m-scaler first (to combine with H2) and focal Utopia.

Also, for those familiar with the Blu 2. Do you think the m-scaler will help with soundstage size of the Utopia out of the H2? Which is my only gripe with that can.

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,331 of 18,907
The mscaler will improve the width of the soundstage and as Rob stated to his surprise significant improvements in depth of soundstage with 1M taps. There are some TT2 impressions on blu or dave thread (search there) and pictures nogi.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,332 of 18,907
The mscaler will improve the width of the soundstage and as Rob stated to his surprise significant improvements in depth of soundstage with 1M taps. There are some TT2 impressions on blu or dave thread (search there) and pictures nogi.

Thanks for this info. I will go have a snoop in the Dave thread too.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,333 of 18,907
Dear Mr Watts,

According to the specs the Hugo 2 only supports 384kHz on its single 3.5mm coax input - what does the cable you talk about connect from and to?

Yes so to get 768k I use two cables, each with mono at 384k. This is the dual data connection.

Of course. I understand the concept but i don't understand why not an integrated product like a powerful dave or tt2.
I'm sure that people spend more for a better product

The RF noise that the FPGA generates is a nightmare; it's 12A of correlated current with large amounts of 2GHz noise. In the long term I would like to integrate an M scaler with a DAC; but I have not been able to figure out how to do it without it compromising sound quality.

Hugo 2 3.5mm coax port supports dual data streams, 2 x 384khz streams to make one 768khz stream.

This is what I am confused about.

Depending on how the 3.5mm jack plug is setup, depends on what mode the coax port will work as. So I am not sure if the dual data coax jack is just a normal coax jack or if it is some weird thing. The mscaler does not come with cables to connect to hugo 2.

So is it just a normal coax jack or some funky one ? because rob mentions in a post that we will have to get a coax to rca cable and then rca to bnc cable or make a 3.5mm coax to bnc, would that be a single bnc termination or dual bnc termination ?

It would be great if someone, anyone could clarify the situation, because I would like to have the cable/s done before the MScaler arrives, nothing worse than having a new toy, and mummy forgetting to buy the batteries, type of situation.

So, does anyone know how this will work ? Its just a pity that its named hugo 2 mscaler, but doesnt ship with an actual connection to hugo 2. < missed opportunity.

Pic below shows two different pin out connections for the single coax port, tip and sleeve and ring and sleeve. Both doing half of a 768khz stream.

Not being overly familiar with 3.5mm coax, does all that happen on one normal coax jack or do we need to source a different one, also, does the 3.5 coax end in 1 or 2 bnc connectors ?

So you just need a 3.5 mm stereo RCA cable and use BNC adaptors to connect both cables to the BNC outputs on the M scaler. Or get a dedicated 3.5mm to BNC cable made up.

Yeah, thats a weird setup, I can’t figure it out, especially the part about using just one rca output. Whoever took the picture should be shot for missing the obvious bum shot. Which would of been so helpful.

Plus, it looks like the coax port isn’t even used which is surprising. I thought it would of been hence the 2 streams of 384khz. I have a theory but its probably wrong. It is a weird setup in that photo. If it is some weird ghetto cable mod, it would be excellent to have it in the box alongside the mscaler, but my sources say, cable not included.

If anything, they should of called it Hugo TT 2 MScaler.

You want me shot?

This was my first flight with an M scaler, and I was so knocked out and excited by the experience I took a quick snap for posterity. It's after 10 hours of listening on headphones and I had never enjoyed music so much on a flight.

The photo isn't very clear but is it possible that a cable with a dual jack on it has been spliced onto two individual bnc cables so that the Hugo MScaler can feed the Hugo 2 through its dual data jack input socket?

This is how it was done:
IMG_20180723_071707.jpg

I had some old video BNC's knocking around and just soldered it to a 3.5mm jack.

Okay i'm going for H2+mscaler after 12 months waiting my sweet spot financially has arrived to performance. We need 1) to ask chord if they could publish exact details of how to connect the two. Leads, adaptors, best bnc cables etc. Once this has been done would they then sell kits or throw them in as complimentary with mscalers. Not only only would this generate added income for chord it would get rid of the next 1000 questions regarding this and most importantly encourage mscaler sales as a significant number of buyers will be using H2. I will email chord to the effect. If anyone can add to this please pm me or add here. The mscaler thread is due too i think we all agree. I'm actually holding an MA in military history not an Meng in electronic engineering.:confused:

Finally for Rob i have three simple enquires. 1) In real world useage would it be 100% safe to stack H2 on top of the mscaler? The concern is to do with heat dissipation and whether the two can be permanently stacked on top of each other.

2) Does using the optical input say from my imac give full upscaling and 1000,000 taps in the same way that usb from a laptop would? If that is true do you recommend usb or optical? Many thanks MK.

3) If using a streaming service with 44.1kHz is it to our advantage to software upscale this to 96 kHz in order to benefit from the full 768 kHz with the mscaler as opposed to 705.6kHz with 44.1 files?

1. Yes it's fine on top of the HM scaler.
2. Both USB and optical perform the same - USB of course covers all formats.
3. Always, always feed bit perfect data to the HM scaler and my DAC's...

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #1,334 of 18,907
Chord should really just make and sell the proper adapter/cables (or include it with the M Scaler).

If the Hugo TT2 can be stacked on top of the M Scaler, as shown in product shots, etc. Why wouldn't Hugo 2 be able to sit on top of it?
You can stack anything you want but will it sound as good, stack your hi-fi on different shelves if possible if not just stack the hugo 2 on top of the m scaler

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,335 of 18,907
im happy with all this buzz of m scaler, looking forward to its launch and thread, although still don’t understand the benefits exactly via a server but... anyone have thoughts on tt2? Versus TT? Is the difference subtle like ch1 and ch2 or more substantive. Not really concerned with h2 or Dave comparisons.....but any impressions would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back