Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,351 of 18,905
Forget the electric bike mate
Still plenty of time to ponder, but the 2Go feels most at risk.
OK JF kindly posted some unnofficial prototype pictures (at CES?), and there have been no whispers of an official release, or a launch date since then. I sense from the Poly thread, that virtually everyone would prefer Chord to make sure that the Poly apps work 100% correctly, before switching focus to the 2Go.
Based on that I wonder if 2Go will slip to CES 2019 - not a disaster for me, but it would mean that I no longer need to worry about budgeting for it this year.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #1,352 of 18,905
In the morning, I listened to the TT2. First one had to be replaced as not quite ready for prolonged listening. A weightier bassier sound compared to my H2, unfortunately couldn’t connect my DAP as Chord didn’t have a USB to Phono or 3.5 converter. I think it would be good in a hifi context, similar to when I reviewed TT on the Chord tour but for iem’s and headphones I quite like the airier H2 without added warmth. Bass oomph is good though.

In the afternoon I listened to m-scaler and there was an increased naturalness. Very nice. I would not have a problem choosing between the two products.
You have broken one TT2 already? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I soldered some cables, and my H2 now direct drives a pair of 30 year old Wharfedale Diamonds, as my computer monitors. Ok the Wharfedale Diamonds are not the last word in high fidelity, but they are providing a very enjoyable listen (which is what we all ultimately search for). H2 is on blue, or some times turquoise, so I estimate 80 or 90% of max volume.
This is all food for thought, because if my computer monitors are now sorted, could the TT2 + MScaler direct drive my Focal Aria 936s downstairs? At the moment, I am tempted to wait until we get user feedback about the capability of the TT2, to direct drive floorstanders - I am not seeking ear-splitting heavy metal volumes, but enough to enjoy jazz or maybe classical.
Maybe the worst case scenario, would be the need to add a digital amp next year.
Very interesting times we live in at the moment, thanks to Chord. :slight_smile:

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,353 of 18,905
In the morning, I listened to the TT2. First one had to be replaced as not quite ready for prolonged listening. A weightier bassier sound compared to my H2, unfortunately couldn’t connect my DAP as Chord didn’t have a USB to Phono or 3.5 converter. I think it would be good in a hifi context, similar to when I reviewed TT on the Chord tour but for iem’s and headphones I quite like the airier H2 without added warmth. Bass oomph is good though.

In the afternoon I listened to m-scaler and there was an increased naturalness. Very nice. I would not have a problem choosing between the two products.
Had to be replaced yikes! ! So choosing between the two, you wouldn't have a problem with either but which one first?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,354 of 18,905
Still plenty of time to ponder, but the 2Go feels most at risk.
OK JF kindly posted some unnofficial prototype pictures (at CES?), and there have been no whispers of an official release, or a launch date since then. I sense from the Poly thread, that virtually everyone would prefer Chord to make sure that the Poly apps work 100% correctly, before switching focus to the 2Go.
Based on that I wonder if 2Go will slip to CES 2019 - not a disaster for me, but it would mean that I no longer need to worry about budgeting for it this year.
What's more important to you convenience or sound quality?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,355 of 18,905
You have broken one TT2 already? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I soldered some cables, and my H2 now direct drives a pair of 30 year old Wharfedale Diamonds, as my computer monitors. Ok the Wharfedale Diamonds are not the last word in high fidelity, but they are providing a very enjoyable listen (which is what we all ultimately search for). H2 is on blue, or some times turquoise, so I estimate 80 or 90% of max volume.
This is all food for thought, because if my computer monitors are now sorted, could the TT2 + MScaler direct drive my Focal Aria 936s downstairs? At the moment, I am tempted to wait until we get user feedback about the capability of the TT2, to direct drive floorstanders - I am not seeking ear-splitting heavy metal volumes, but enough to enjoy jazz or maybe classical.
Maybe the worst case scenario, would be the need to add a digital amp next year.
Very interesting times we live in at the moment, thanks to Chord. :slight_smile:
Apparently the Chord hugo TT 2 was connected to a pair of Grande Utopia latest spec speakers, the bloke checked with a stethoscope and he could definitely hear some beats

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,356 of 18,905
What's more important to you convenience or sound quality?
My H2 is used either with my desktop computer upstairs as a source, or my laptop downstairs as a source, so the 2Go is not an urgent decision at the moment.
That just leaves the TT2 plus MScaler - I could go mad and order both, but I hope to restrain myself enough to get some real world user feedback first.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,357 of 18,905
My H2 is used either with my desktop computer upstairs as a source, or my laptop downstairs as a source, so the 2Go is not an urgent decision at the moment.
That just leaves the TT2 plus MScaler - I could go mad and order both, but I hope to restrain myself enough to get some real world user feedback first.
If you got the money just buy both, who needs feed back, has Rob watts or John Franks let anyone down when it comes to sound quality? ? There comes a time when you need to trust a hi-fi company yes I've been ripped off in the past, nearly everytime actually. .. But with Chord it's different

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,358 of 18,905
Had to be replaced yikes! ! So choosing between the two, you wouldn't have a problem with either but which one first?

For me, owning a H2 it would be the m-scaler. I think that would make the most difference to the sound. But hey, I still love Hugo 1 as well, we all hear differently.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #1,359 of 18,905
For me, owning a H2 it would be the m-scaler. I think that would make the most difference to the sound. But hey, I still love Hugo 1, we all hear differently.
Did you know I've never auditioned any Chord kit before I bought it?So is our ears that different? I think short term Hugo 2 m scaler without a doubt but in the long run and I will have to wait longer, Hugo TT 2 with M scaler,not only a better dac but that awesome power from the headphone amp,I'm not gonna want anymore from a product, purely my hi-fi journey no-one else's

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,360 of 18,905
If you got the money just buy both, who needs feed back, has Rob watts or John Franks let anyone down when it comes to sound quality? ? There comes a time when you need to trust a hi-fi company yes I've been ripped off in the past, nearly everytime actually. .. But with Chord it's different
Don't worry, I trust Rob and John. I just don't trust myself, because I know in the past I have bought things, then rarely used them - so these days, I try and be more cautious, and if after a few months I still feel a need to buy something, then I recognise a real need. :slight_smile:

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,361 of 18,905
Don't worry, I trust Rob and John. I just don't trust myself, because I know in the past I have bought things, then rarely used them - so these days, I try and be more cautious, and if after a few months I still feel a need to buy something, then I recognise a real need. :slight_smile:
Surely you love music yes? Sound quality yes? This is the best sound your gonna get for the money and better than anything else you have owned before, now unless you only play your hi-fi once in a blue moon or a red one come Friday evening then don't bother but if being blind is better than being deaf then what are you waiting for? Hugo M scaler 2..?...really ?

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,362 of 18,905
glowworm.jpg
Surely you love music yes? Sound quality yes? This is the best sound your gonna get for the money and better than anything else you have owned before, now unless you only play your hi-fi once in a blue moon or a red one come Friday evening then don't bother but if being blind is better than being deaf then what are you waiting for? Hugo M scaler 2..?...really ?
Paul please chill. I have chilled tonight by drinking a bottle of wine with my supper in the garden at dusk, then sat watching the bats fly around eating the mozzies, then spotted the first glow-worm of the summer, hiding amongst the jerusalem artichokes.
The TT2 and MScaler look great kit, but the decision to pre-order is not for tonight. :relaxed:

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,363 of 18,905

Since you have listened to both, albeit it not in ideal conditions. Which one had the biggest impact on you and also the biggest change in audio from Hugo 2 ?

MScaler or TT2 ?

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,364 of 18,905
Now more than ever I'll be continuing to re-rip all our CD's. Originally ripped as mp3 and 128Kbps or worse. There's no room for disc storage in loft. We keep them in large Pelican case in basement.

Honestly, I'd like to be able to hear mScaler blind test. Can I hear $4,500 USD worth?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #1,365 of 18,905
Since you have listened to both, albeit it not in ideal conditions. Which one had the biggest impact on you and also the biggest change in audio from Hugo 2 ?

MScaler or TT2 ?

I reckon Scaler, but without direct comparison, nor ability to connect my own DAP and H2, it’s only first thoughts. TT was off the bat more obvious because of its fuller sound. But then scaler was also with TT, not my own H2 so lots of variables. The TT pairing with Scaler was liked by those there I talked to.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back