Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #601 of 18,898
My favourite would be a version of the TT or a Dave without an amp. Pure DAC.

But then you miss out on one of the great things about the TT and Dave which is that you can use them as the volume control and go straight into a power amp without the need for a preamp or integrated amp. In any case, I suspect that the pure dac you crave probable has an amp, just that it would be fixed output.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #602 of 18,898
But then you miss out on one of the great things about the TT and Dave which is that you can use them as the volume control and go straight into a power amp without the need for a preamp or integrated amp. In any case, I suspect that the pure dac you crave probable has an amp, just that it would be fixed output.
I think you are talking about powering speakers . I only use my TT for headphones.
Frankly I don't like the SQ very much straight out of the TT. It sounds too big and unfocused. Connecting the TT to a headphone amp (Pro-Ject Headbox RS for dynamic drivers and Violectric 281 for planars) sounds more pleasing to my ears.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #604 of 18,898
I have no issue with the Chord remote. It's actually the same basic design as my Rega Brio (2017) remote. My Brio remote still has the plastic protection on it.

Pic is of my Hugo 2, H2 remote, Rega Brio remote, and Meridian Explorer. (ME maybe five years old and still in mint condition with plastic cover on it). ME is used for gaming and maybe Youtube, depending on the content.

Remotes.JPG

Still maybe need to get some classy digital cables for the Hugo 2. Quality analogue cables are there on the Hugo 2; Chord Company Clearway RCA to RCA. The ME has QED Reference Audio J2P.

Bit of dust on the Hugo 2, near the window. (Not a mark.) H2 still in mint condition.

EDIT: By the way I saw someone suggest that the black Hugo 2 was a fingerprint magnet. Not the case, no way.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #605 of 18,898
I have no issue what so ever with the Chord remote. It's actually the same basic design as my Rega Brio (2017) remote. My Brio remote still has the plastic protection on it.

Pic is of my Hugo 2, H2 remote, Rega Brio remote, and Meridian Explorer (still in mint condition with plastic cover on it). ME is used for gaming and maybe Youtube, depending on the content.

DSC05611.JPG

(How do we insert an image?)
https://www.mediafire.com/view/zhhaj8crcdraqdl/DSC05611.JPG#

Still maybe need to get some classy digital cables for the Hugo 2. Quality analogue cables are there on the Hugo 2; Chord Company Clearway RCA to RCA. The ME has QED Reference Audio J2P.

EDIT: By the way I saw someone suggest that the black Hugo 2 was a fingerprint magnet. Not the case, not no way.
You can download, then upload the image, then click ‘thumbnail’ button.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #606 of 18,898
I think you are talking about powering speakers . I only use my TT for headphones.
Frankly I don't like the SQ very much straight out of the TT. It sounds too big and unfocused. Connecting the TT to a headphone amp (Pro-Ject Headbox RS for dynamic drivers and Violectric 281 for planars) sounds more pleasing to my ears.

You can connect your speakers straight into the Chord TT. You would need a custom cable that accept speaker cables on one end and RCA out male on the other end (I had mine custom made from Kimbre Cable) and plug it into the RCA Left and Right channels of the TT, and it will play your speakers.

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #607 of 18,898
I have no issue with the Chord remote. It's actually the same basic design as my Rega Brio (2017) remote. My Brio remote still has the plastic protection on it.

Pic is of my Hugo 2, H2 remote, Rega Brio remote, and Meridian Explorer. (ME maybe five years old and still in mint condition with plastic cover on it). ME is used for gaming and maybe Youtube, depending on the content.

Bit of dust on the Hugo 2, near the window. (Not a mark.) H2 still in mint condition.

EDIT: By the way I saw someone suggest that the black Hugo 2 was a fingerprint magnet. Not the case, no way.

That Chord remote looks alot like the Arcam irDAC and Amp remote I had few years ago

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #608 of 18,898
Can't wait for the Chord Hugo TT2 release to have it paired with my speakers.

Edit: Juat saw the Youtube clip of Hugo2 vs Chord TT and Chord TT clearly sound better to me. I hear that magic micro detail and extra extension, smoother sound on the TT over Hugo 2. Kinda like DSD vs PCM.
Definately arier and a more relaxed sound.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #609 of 18,898
Can't wait for the Chord Hugo TT2 release to have it paired with my speakers.

Edit: Juat saw the Youtube clip of Hugo2 vs Chord TT and Chord TT clearly sound better to me. I hear that magic micro detail and extra extension, smoother sound on the TT over Hugo 2. Kinda like DSD vs PCM.
Definately arier and a more relaxed sound.

Thus the happy dilemma of current TT owners whether to upgrade. I like my tt in my hp rig. Hey chord if you think of a canada TT2 tour is going to be in the works, Im in as a participant....)

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #610 of 18,898

My H2 is black and does not act like a finger print magnet, never has been even when it wasnt in its case, it gets slightly dusty, and it would need wiped with my glasses cloth, but never seen paw prints all over it.

When I saw the Chord and Van Nuys leather cases for Mojo n Poly and Hugo2, I saw them on Chords website and I didnt think much of them when I saw them as I already had other cases, but, I took the plunge and grabbed a few of them and in my opinion they are the best quality cases that I have seen for both Mojo n Poly and Hugo 2.

If anyone is in two minds about buying the official Mojo n Poly or Hugo 2 Chord and Van Nuys premium cases, do not worry as they are of excellent quality and they make the devices look even more mint.

However, I would still like a solid 24 carat gold remote whose buttons are made from african blood diamonds that Leonardo Dicaprio accidentally stumbled across when he was making the movie.

I am not asking for much, I would be happy if I just got the buttons.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #612 of 18,898

I don’t get this either, I have pointed this out many years ago when I was testing the Aurelic Vega. It was>

Aurelic Vega + Taurus MK II
Chord Hugo 1 + Taurus MK II

And the Aurelic Vega was so loud, I had to turn up the Hugo 1 near maximum to have the volume matched. So “DAC’s” all have some kind of a gain, but it is fixed rather than variable (which Chord DAC’s have).

So I am not even sure what amplifiers are doing when DAC’s can push such incredible loud signals all by themselves already.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #613 of 18,898
Has anyone considered a hugo2 with an mscaler when it is released as an alternative to TT2? I have my heart set on a TT2 but need to understand this alternative option better. More from a philosophical standpoint.

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #614 of 18,898
why Would you pick Hugo over tt period? Well other than price, m scaler on both or not

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #615 of 18,898
why Would you pick Hugo over tt period? Well other than price, m scaler on both or not

Because an H2 plus an MScaler (well the only one anyone has heard ie Blu2) is rated above a Dave.
So sound wise that combo would beat a TT2 because TT2 sits below Dave in absolute sound quality but of course there is the power output to consider.

Until people get to hear TT2 and until the eventual new MScaler can be heard with H2 then its impossible to draw a conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back