Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #616 of 18,887
Has anyone considered a hugo2 with an mscaler when it is released as an alternative to TT2? I have my heart set on a TT2 but need to understand this alternative option better. More from a philosophical standpoint.

Because an H2 plus an MScaler (well the only one anyone has heard ie Blu2) is rated above a Dave.
So sound wise that combo would beat a TT2 because TT2 sits below Dave in absolute sound quality but of course there is the power output to consider.

Until people get to hear TT2 and until the eventual new MScaler can be heard with H2 then its impossible to draw a conclusion.

Let’s take this m scaler whatever that is out of the equation. I use a fantastic music server so... tt flat out is more enjoyable than Hugo. Question answered. So are you in Hugo price point, tt price point, or Dave’s price point. It’s your only consideration. Or mojo I guess.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #617 of 18,887
The answer therefore is an mscaler connected to a TT2 which surpasses both of the above options. With 1 million taps you come very close to the original analogue waveform resulting in near enough complete musical appreciation and personal satisfaction. Coupled with the other advances present in TT2 it will sound spine tinglingly good as Rob stated when he connected an mscaler to TT2. Amazing stuff. You start to approach blu/dave performance hopefully. One step at a time.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #618 of 18,887
I don’t get this either, I have pointed this out many years ago when I was testing the Aurelic Vega. It was>

Aurelic Vega + Taurus MK II
Chord Hugo 1 + Taurus MK II

And the Aurelic Vega was so loud, I had to turn up the Hugo 1 near maximum to have the volume matched. So “DAC’s” all have some kind of a gain, but it is fixed rather than variable (which Chord DAC’s have).

So I am not even sure what amplifiers are doing when DAC’s can push such incredible loud signals all by themselves already.
As stated, the reason I use a separate amp is not because the TT lacks power but because I don't like how it sounds.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #619 of 18,887
It causes one difficulty to get their head around the idea that someone would spend 3k on an audio item whose sound signature they could only then like by adding another amp. I hope the light hearted humour is evident here.:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #620 of 18,887
The answer therefore is an mscaler connected to a TT2 which surpasses both of the above options. With 1 million taps you come very close to the original analogue waveform resulting in near enough complete musical appreciation and personal satisfaction. Coupled with the other advances present in TT2 it will sound spine tinglingly good as Rob stated when he connected an mscaler to TT2. Amazing stuff. You start to approach blu/dave performance hopefully. One step at a time.

Also, as the new kit comes out keep your eye on second hand prices. You may find that at some point you can get a used Dave for the new price of TT2. A few Daves have begun to pop up on the bay. You would then need to balance the superior sound of Dave to the extra power of TT2. The same will apply to the much expected new MScaler and it will be interesting to see what that does to Blu2 prices. You may have more options than you think as time goes on.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #621 of 18,887
I'm on target for a TT2 for September. I'll trade my mojo as part exchange for a TT2. However if i could guarantee a dave that worked perfectly for TT2 price i would be very interested. I'm going to look on ebay now. As a mature student recently graduated with an MA i'm not that rich. Do you know anyone looking to part with a dave for 4k by September?

Listening to Kirk Whallum performs the Babyface Songbook

roon/ oppo pm1/ mojo/ optical

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #622 of 18,887
I'm on target for a TT2 for September. I'll trade my mojo as part exchange for a TT2. However if i could guarantee a dave that worked perfectly for TT2 price i would be very interested. I'm going to look on ebay now. As a mature student recently graduated with an MA i'm not that rich. Do you know anyone looking to part with a dave for 4k by September?

Listening to Kirk Whallum performs the Babyface Songbook

roon/ oppo pm1/ mojo/ optical
Your hopes are too high :)
That's not possible. Just get the TT 2 and enjoy what you have.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #623 of 18,887
Regarding the second hand post above.

I was offered a second hand Hugo TT for £2k

I wanted to grab it but knowing that it has batteries and probably no warranty and that H2TT is about to be released ( not sure if chord allows warranties to be transfered to the new owner ) all of that put me off.

I already have an H2 and Mojo/Poly and they are enough for me when it comes to battery powered dac/amps, atleast for another 2 years.

I really want a static device that does not rely on batteries, I have my eye on the new H2TT or a schiit yggdrasil. I would love to demo both but no one sells them where I stay :frowning2:

I REALLY want 2go for Hugo 2, but if its priced at £1000 and only does what poly does for mojo but maybe with slightly faster clock speeds. If its just that and 2 full sized sd card slots, no way could I justify spending £1k on it, however, if it has something else inside, example, a streamer and Mscaler all in one addon for H2, “I would buy that for a dollar” and a couple of thousand more.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #624 of 18,887
TT is supercapacitors powered, not battery per se, you leave it plugged in all the time, Ygg is 1/3 the cost of tt while your ears are the guide overall it would seem tt is the preferred dac.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #625 of 18,887
If One didn’t buy a ch2 I’d get a used tt if money was concered easy peasy

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #627 of 18,887
Being a home-orientated device, the Hugo TT has been designed to run continuously from the supplied charger, however Chord’s engineers have also improved the battery and added Supercap energy storage, a technology seen in F1 where supercacitors back-up the cars batteries by sharing the load and charge demands, thereby protecting them. They serve a similar purpose in the Hugo TT, extending the battery life as well as improving dynamics and demanding transients in recorded music.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #629 of 18,887
I'm tempted to get the Campfire Vega,the amp side of the Chord Hugo TT 2 might be a bit over the top for them but I've heard they sound better with a more powerful amp
Have a look at the new Atlas that seems to replace it! All reviewers so far think it is the better IEM – they call it «best of both worlds» from Andromeda and Vega.

And don't fall for the «powerful amp» legend! Every amp on the planet is oversized for the Campfires.

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #630 of 18,887
Have a look at the new Atlas that seems to replace it! All reviewers so far think it is the better IEM – they call it «best of both worlds» from Andromeda and Vega.

And don't fall for the «powerful amp» legend! Every amp on the planet is oversized for the Campfires.
Jazz your an absolute star mate, didn't even know about Atlas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back