Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #14,581 of 18,895
Bad News, Bad News this is just terrible!

Synology announced they will be discontinuing USB support with their new DSM 7.0 update. This will render my TT2 with no way to get hi res files. I've already complained but they seem not that interested in a work around.

Short of buying a new source what are some work around options? They suggested using network and I lost it. I'm afraid there's a security patch in DSM 7.0 so I can't dilly dally on the upgrade. Using my A&K drains battery battery quickly. This is nuts.
Get a dedicated streamer and plug the TT2 into the streamer

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #14,582 of 18,895
Exactly. The sound quality will be much better too.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #14,583 of 18,895
Bad News, Bad News this is just terrible!

Synology announced they will be discontinuing USB support with their new DSM 7.0 update. This will render my TT2 with no way to get hi res files. I've already complained but they seem not that interested in a work around.

Short of buying a new source what are some work around options? They suggested using network and I lost it. I'm afraid there's a security patch in DSM 7.0 so I can't dilly dally on the upgrade. Using my A&K drains battery battery quickly. This is nuts.
I’m still leery of going the direct streamer route until that market shakes out a bit more. I’m currently happy with Audirvana, but now they’ve moved to a subscription based service and it’s only a matter of time before stand alone users get left out in the cold. I’m
Exactly. The sound quality will be much better too.
I’m leery of jumping in to a streamer right now. I’m also using optical which my 2014 MacBook Pro supports but not newer Macs. I can’t just keep throwing money at it but I’m guessing a streamer is the next “logical” (is there any logic to this) step!

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #14,584 of 18,895
So if I was going to use this just as a DAC…connected to a headphone amp…if I understand correctly…are some of the people here saying that I would lose sound quality? Does it drop it to Qutest level or Hugo 2 level?
This is how I use it 90% of the time with a tube amp and greatly prefer it. No, it doesn't take it down to Hugo 2 level anymore than connecting a Qutest to an amp takes that down to a Mojo level.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #14,585 of 18,895
I’m still leery of going the direct streamer route until that market shakes out a bit more. I’m currently happy with Audirvana, but now they’ve moved to a subscription based service and it’s only a matter of time before stand alone users get left out in the cold. I’m

I’m leery of jumping in to a streamer right now. I’m also using optical which my 2014 MacBook Pro supports but not newer Macs. I can’t just keep throwing money at it but I’m guessing a streamer is the next “logical” (is there any logic to this) step!
I have a Bluesound Node 2i streamer and it is one of the best purchases I've made. The sound quality improvement over USB is significant. And the software is well designed on it. You can use the BluOS app or the native Tidal app on your iPhone or Android device to control Tidal since it supports Tidal connect.

The only reason I use USB at all anymore is to access Equalizer APO on my laptop. For some reason, there are no good parametric EQ alternatives that don't force you to go to the extreme of something like implementing Roon.

Aug 8, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #14,586 of 18,895
Thanks for all the replies.

I must have been incorrectly under the impression optical wasn't able to support the higher resolution files greater than 24/96 and DSD. I have as few DSD and 192/24

So must get USB streamer... Will need to get something on the cheap until after we move.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #14,587 of 18,895
Arghhh, My roon and qobuz started to have “roon lost control of the audio device” error.

No matter what I did to try the fix the problem, it was close but cigar, so in the end I lost my entire catalogue of streaming tunes, one that should never of happened in the first instance as I had numerous backups for both roon and qobuz and not one of them worked properly

TL;DR

I lost my entire catalogue of streaming music.
Guess I will keep my subscription to Soundiiz after all.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #14,588 of 18,895
I have a Bluesound Node 2i streamer and it is one of the best purchases I've made. The sound quality improvement over USB is significant. And the software is well designed on it. You can use the BluOS app or the native Tidal app on your iPhone or Android device to control Tidal since it supports Tidal connect.

The only reason I use USB at all anymore is to access Equalizer APO on my laptop. For some reason, there are no good parametric EQ alternatives that don't force you to go to the extreme of something like implementing Roon.
Anyone have experience using OPPO BDP-103 as streamer? I would have to move everything around and now I'd be competing with TV room for listening. Currently, TT2 is in wine loft. Would also lose use of my tube amp

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #14,589 of 18,895
Anyone have experience using OPPO BDP-103 as streamer? I would have to move everything around and now I'd be competing with TV room for listening. Currently, TT2 is in wine loft. Would also lose use of my tube amp
I have brifley tried my oppo 203 as a roon endpoint and it worked well. Not tried the 103

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #14,590 of 18,895
Thanks for all the replies.

I must have been incorrectly under the impression optical wasn't able to support the higher resolution files greater than 24/96 and DSD. I have as few DSD and 192/24

So must get USB streamer... Will need to get something on the cheap until after we move.
At that resolution u can consider the new iFi Zen Stream.
even cheaper is a raspberry pi 4 as your roon endpoint with ropieee OS

Aug 9, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #14,591 of 18,895
Happy face on lads, I’ve just found a roon back from 2020, thank god for sd cards.

I’ve lost some recent stuff but I can handle that but gentlemen please take this as a warning, make back up’s of your stuff and in more than 2 places, as roon’s back ups are small.

My sd card has saved me from doing a huge task.

:smiley: < happy face

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #14,592 of 18,895
Happy face on lads, I’ve just found a roon back from 2020, thank god for sd cards.

I’ve lost some recent stuff but I can handle that but gentlemen please take this as a warning, make back up’s of your stuff and in more than 2 places, as roon’s back ups are small.

My sd card has saved me from doing a huge task.

:smiley: < happy face
My RAID is no longer accessible due to Synology no longer supporting USB. Are these dedicated streamers arrays or single drive?

Aug 9, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #14,593 of 18,895
I highly recommend using a raspberry Pi and Allo DigiOne with Moode Audio as an excellent streaming solution for under $200 - the only downside is you don’t get a fancy case. Moode has integration with Airplay and Spotify; the software is both mature and actively developed - I’m surprised it’s free. I used Audirvana for many years but when they switched to subscription it pushed to to evaluate other options. The sound quality of my new setup is superior to Audirvana out of my Mac and Spotify integration is a huge plus once they get around to launching their “hifi” lossless tier.

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #14,594 of 18,895
I highly recommend using a raspberry Pi and Allo DigiOne with Moode Audio as an excellent streaming solution for under $200 - the only downside is you don’t get a fancy case. Moode has integration with Airplay and Spotify; the software is both mature and actively developed - I’m surprised it’s free. I used Audirvana for many years but when they switched to subscription it pushed to to evaluate other options. The sound quality of my new setup is superior to Audirvana out of my Mac and Spotify integration is a huge plus once they get around to launching their “hifi” lossless tier.
I don’t especially “blame” Audirvana for moving to a subscription base, but as a relatively recent purchaser of the stand alone I’m worried about ongoing support. I suspect in a year or less they will withdraw from supporting or upgrading. I hate being forced into a subscription service but the time has come to start seriously evaluating a different direction (dedicated streamer, Roon, Qobuz, etc). I appreciate progress but it’s getting more difficult to keep up.

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #14,595 of 18,895
Yeah, Audirvana is excellent for Mac and I’m happy to own v3.5 without the need for a subscription; I suspect if you don’t need qobuz or tidal integration it should continue working with local content for a long time. However, it lacks some modern features and the sound quality is surpassed by linux players. Once Spotify Hifi becomes available I think it’s another nail in the coffin as volumio and moode have great spotify integrations (volumio has full Spotify integration in the UI).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back