Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #12,916 of 18,906
Looking through my node 2 settings, I'm not quite sure what to make of the Audio Clock Trim setting for feeding into my Hugo TT2. I've been listening to it with the feature turned off, as I have turned pretty much everything I can find off--have had no problems--but curious what others think of this setting. It was default on with no ability to change prior to September, so I had been using it with mojo and no issues. I'd probably rather get a tattoo than A/B the Audio Clock Trim function on my streamer. Since the chord products don't much care for jitter, I'm inclined to keep it off and keep things simple and pure as possible. Maybe they just have it since there is no USB out and some DACs may be sensitive to jitter.

If using an external [DAC], Audio Clock Trim will reduce jitter and increase audio clock timing precessions. Not all DACs can handle this. If audible clipping or dropouts occur, disable Clock Trim to avoid BluOS's accuracy interfering with your DAC's own firmware.

Why would not all DACs be able to handled reduced jitter? This and the word 'Trim' bug me out.

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us/articles/360036429314-Adjusting-Audio-Settings

I See peachtree with ESS Sabre needs it turned off:
https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/pages/disabling-bluos-audio-clock-trim

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #12,917 of 18,906
Referring to your comment "Am still perplexed though, as why did Rob say, "There is no AC current drawn". I mean because the power brick supplied DC current anyway."

This is quite an important point; PSUs have two primary problems - RF noise from the mains (which I have talked about ad nauseum!) and signal related error voltages, due to currents being fed to headphones and loudspeakers. With power rails, this current is highly distorted, and with a PSU impedance will create distorted voltages. These distorted voltages will then feed back into the amp electronics and appear as distortion due to the amplifier's power supply rejection ratio (PSRR). This distortion is very nasty, as it has got a lot of HF components. So, to minimise this problem from the power brick, I designed the super-caps to have complete isolation from the power supply by connecting it via a large inductor. With this arrangement, the current drawn from the brick is just DC current - it has no audio related currents. Thus, I do not have to worry about the brick impedance at all, as there are no audio related currents to create distortion in the amplifier. If I didn't use the super-caps and the large inductor, there would be large, rectified audio currents being drawn from the power brick, which would damage sound quality.

Of course, this eliminates this problem from the brick, but does not eliminate it within TT2. Here I solve it by separately regulating the gain sections from the OP stages, and powering everything off the super-cap PSU - and I know it’s been eliminated due to zero distortion (that is well below -180dB) above 3kHz when testing at 12W into 8 ohms using a 20Hz sine wave.

Power supplies and their interaction are much more complex than people imagine. Audiophiles just see big toroid transformers and capacitors and imagine that this must be better than a small PSU. This is plain wrong – it’s very much more involved than that.

That's cool.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #12,918 of 18,906
I appreciate the topic has been discussed a couple of times, here and there, across the almost 900 pages of this thread but figure I would ask anyway to see whether any development has happened in the meantime. I've recently added a TT2 to my desktop setup and am looking for adapters to plug a pair of speakers directly into its XLR outputs. My speakers cables are terminated with banana plugs. I know that adapters can be produced with relatively little effort but I've no experience with this kind of things, nor the time so am looking for somebody selling the finished product. I wasn't able to find any so far, anybody who can direct me to any producers of these adapters?

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #12,919 of 18,906
I appreciate the topic has been discussed a couple of times, here and there, across the almost 900 pages of this thread but figure I would ask anyway to see whether any development has happened in the meantime. I've recently added a TT2 to my desktop setup and am looking for adapters to plug a pair of speakers directly into its XLR outputs. My speakers cables are terminated with banana plugs. I know that adapters can be produced with relatively little effort but I've no experience with this kind of things, nor the time so am looking for somebody selling the finished product. I wasn't able to find any so far, anybody who can direct me to any producers of these adapters?
Moon Audio is a great place to go for adapters. I purchased a dual female XLR to single balanced XLR from them. They are easy to deal with. Here’s a link to their cable page.
https://www.moon-audio.com/dragon-audio-cables.html

Mar 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #12,920 of 18,906
Moon Audio is a great place to go for adapters. I purchased a dual female XLR to single balanced XLR from them. They are easy to deal with. Here’s a link to their cable page.
https://www.moon-audio.com/dragon-audio-cables.html

Thanks for the hint but I have actually had an extremely negative experience with Moon Audio not long ago (wildly poor quality of the product they sold to me and unacceptable customer support practices) and swore they would not see a cent from me ever again...

Any alternatives? Thanks in advance! :)

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #12,921 of 18,906
Thanks for the hint but I have actually had an extremely negative experience with Moon Audio not long ago (wildly poor quality of the product they sold to me and unacceptable customer support practices) and swore they would not see a cent from me ever again...

I’m really sorry to hear that. Really any cable manufacturer can make the adapter you are looking for. Moon audio is a headfi sponsor; you should contact Drew directly about your bad experience. Obviously I like them and have never had an issue dealing with them.

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #12,922 of 18,906

Blue Jeans Cables, solid prices and quality

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #12,923 of 18,906
I'm considering getting a TT2 + XI Audio Broadway combo to drive my headphone collection: Arya, Clear, Diana v2 and, soon, ZMF VC. Would that be a good system?

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #12,924 of 18,906
I'm considering getting a TT2 + XI Audio Broadway combo to drive my headphone collection: Arya, Clear, Diana v2 and, soon, ZMF VC. Would that be a good system?

Yes the Broadway can drive all those headphones very well

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #12,925 of 18,906
The amp is unnecessary for any of those headphones. The TT2 will power them all with ease and more transparency.

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #12,926 of 18,906
The amp is unnecessary for any of those headphones. The TT2 will power them all with ease and more transparency.

That’s what I guessed. Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably get the TT2 first and evaluate the need for the external amp later.

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #12,928 of 18,906
Good evening,
I am using Audeze lcd-x headphones with TT2.
What other headphones recommend me to achieve a heavier sound with more present and solid bass
Thanks in advance
What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back