Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #12,886 of 18,897
The battery is 12v, not 15v. Don't use the TT2 PSU to charge the battery. It comes with its own PS to charge it, or you can use the USB-C port to charge (that's what I do).

The battery powers off after a few minutes of no activity. You just need to press the power/charge indicator button on it to bring it back online.

The battery DC output is 12v/10a. The battery's PSU DC output is 15v/4a. The DC output of the TT2 PSU is 15v/4a. I just triple checked it. In other words both the TT2 PSU and the Battery PSU produce the same 15v/4a for 60W and are theoretically interchangeable. I assume the TT2 PSU is of higher quality and would never think to stick the battery PSU into my TT2, but it may be fine to plug the TT2 PSU into the battery--note my original disclaimer, though.

This I understand about the battery power button. I pressed that button 100 times and still couldn't get it to turn over. However, if I take the TT2, power it up with the TT2 PSU, put in stand by, unplug from PSU and then switch to the battery, it starts working. This has happened twice and kind of killed the convenience factor for me.

EDIT: I did not realize the PD USB-C was input/output. I just confirmed in the manual. That's interesting! Separately, as summer comes in, I may rig up a solar panel to the battery and have my TT2 go green!

EDIT2: The TT2Go Green is the new name for my prototype portable TT2 with streamer rig. It is official and we are taking this project off the grid completely!

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #12,888 of 18,897
Previously
I feel the roon radio feature has improved greatly with 1.8. I am a bit concerned Spotify moving to lossless could be a problem for roon. I’m in for (it’s) life.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #12,889 of 18,897
I feel the roon radio feature has improved greatly with 1.8. I am a bit concerned Spotify moving to lossless could be a problem for roon. I’m in for (it’s) life.
It’s hard to beat, I don’t like that others report better sq from other programs ... but I suppose if you wfh and listen a lot, then use roon for the majority and other/better sq app for the few hours of luxury listening at night lol.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #12,890 of 18,897
It’s hard to beat, I don’t like that others report better sq from other programs ... but I suppose if you wfh and listen a lot, then use roon for the majority and other/better sq app for the few hours of luxury listening at night lol.
What would be the hypothesis on why one app has better SQ than another, particularly with a Chord DAC which is pretty cool with any input type?

The only cases I can think of where I would have an expectation of SQ discrepancy is bit perfect vs non. For example, Amazon UHD is kind of a junky platform at this point. It has a long way to go before it is usable, IMO. It isn't bit perfect out of iOS or MacOS. I don't use Roon, where it may be bit perfect, but Amazon sounds fantastic out of bluesound devices where it is bit perfect--without exhaustive testing, maybe better than it sounds out of iOS or Mac. The problem, though, is that the API for Amazon is terrible, and therefor the bluesound implementation is pretty rough. So it sounds great, but is annoying enough that I will not renew it after my 3 months are up (without significant improvement). Maybe Amazon through Roon is a pleasant and great sounding experience that I'm missing out on.

EDIT: clarification, I may expect better SQ through Roon vs Amazon's Native app

On the other hand Tidal and Qobuz are bit perfect in all of their native app implementations I've seen and are generally pretty wonderful to use. They also sound equally great compared to Amazon out of my bluesound, so they will stick around. I've been doing a head-to-head with all the HiRes services. I've been using Tidal for 4 or 5 years and wanted to see what else is out there. Qobuz HiRes is some of the best I've heard to date, but Tidal offers enough integration and catalog wise that I can't really see dropping them. At $150/year Qobuz seems like a no-brainer addition.

EDIT: clarification, I would not expect better SQ through Roon vs Tidal or Qobuz Native apps

I guess some apps do EQ and/or over/up sampling. None of those things are bit perfect, but they may sound better depending on preferences. Should be less transparent, though.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #12,892 of 18,897
What would be the hypothesis on why one app has better SQ than another, particularly with a Chord DAC which is pretty cool with any input type?

The only cases I can think of where I would have an expectation of SQ discrepancy is bit perfect vs non. For example, Amazon UHD is kind of a junky platform at this point. It has a long way to go before it is usable, IMO. It isn't bit perfect out of iOS or MacOS. I don't use Roon, where it may be bit perfect, but Amazon sounds fantastic out of bluesound devices where it is bit perfect--without exhaustive testing, maybe better than it sounds out of iOS or Mac. The problem, though, is that the API for Amazon is terrible, and therefor the bluesound implementation is pretty rough. So it sounds great, but is annoying enough that I will not renew it after my 3 months are up (without significant improvement). Maybe Amazon through Roon is a pleasant and great sounding experience that I'm missing out on.

EDIT: clarification, I may expect better SQ through Roon vs Amazon's Native app

On the other hand Tidal and Qobuz are bit perfect in all of their native app implementations I've seen and are generally pretty wonderful to use. They also sound equally great compared to Amazon out of my bluesound, so they will stick around. I've been doing a head-to-head with all the HiRes services. I've been using Tidal for 4 or 5 years and wanted to see what else is out there. Qobuz HiRes is some of the best I've heard to date, but Tidal offers enough integration and catalog wise that I can't really see dropping them. At $150/year Qobuz seems like a no-brainer addition.

EDIT: clarification, I would not expect better SQ through Roon vs Tidal or Qobuz Native apps

I guess some apps do EQ and/or over/up sampling. None of those things are bit perfect, but they may sound better depending on preferences. Should be less transparent, though.
Is it because;
Yes, the source file is common between all players
But, the player must convert the files contents into a square wave.
There are many factors at play, such as buffer size, or some others, in an analogy, the software ability to maintain concentration of the task at hand, that could affect things.
What if one player dedicated a cpu core just to creating that square wave, and it could not be interrupted with requests from a chrome browser for example, would the wave be more or less ideal, and would that be audible. As a software developer, I can tell you, software is not magic and is very closely aligned to traditional mechanics in a sense.

Getting back to my metaphor however, the player is creating a stream, it becomes the producer.
The dac is the consumer, what if it’s buffer size is different etc or a whole other host of factors, that maybe only hardware/software engineers who integrate these protocols and who are expert in the subject may fully understand.

Maybe the better players can better guess these buffers or maybe they can better align computing resources to the mechanical tasks that need to take place to produce the square waves.

your guess is as good as mine lol , but I trust people who say, program x is an improvement (on highly resolving systems).

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #12,894 of 18,897
Is it because;
Yes, the source file is common between all players
But, the player must convert the files contents into a square wave.
There are many factors at play, such as buffer size, or some others, in an analogy, the software ability to maintain concentration of the task at hand, that could affect things.
What if one player dedicated a cpu core just to creating that square wave, and it could not be interrupted with requests from a chrome browser for example, would the wave be more or less ideal, and would that be audible. As a software developer, I can tell you, software is not magic and is very closely aligned to traditional mechanics in a sense.

Getting back to my metaphor however, the player is creating a stream, it becomes the producer.
The dac is the consumer, what if it’s buffer size is different etc or a whole other host of factors, that maybe only hardware/software engineers who integrate these protocols and who are expert in the subject may fully understand.

Maybe the better players can better guess these buffers or maybe they can better align computing resources to the mechanical tasks that need to take place to produce the square waves.

your guess is as good as mine lol , but I trust people who say, program x is an improvement (on highly resolving systems).

There are probably better places to discuss this topic, so I won't escalate too much further. I would push back on the player needing to convert the files to square waves. Maybe there are good ones that found justification to write the code to do that, but I think most hand this off to the OS to manage, such as CoreAudio on Mac/iOS which ultimately had that task off to hardware. While I primarily code for backend, api and data systems, I oversaw the development of two streaming apps across iOS and Android which had many millions of installs between them while I was involved.

My audio apps were geared for smooth playback and towards being cost efficient for the user (mobile bills) and us (CDN costs). For some projects I was manipulating the bpm of the music (time stretching) while also having to compensate pitch--obviously not a bit perfect result. We tried to keep audio quality high, but it was more about mitigating tradeoffs than fine tuning for peak audio performance. Therefore, I don't know all that plays a role in maximizing with things like "Exclusive Mode." Obviously if companies like Tidal are doing MQA unfolding in software (though likely that is with a library provided to them) and controlling the sample rate, they are going well beyond what I've ever done, so don't want to discount the possibilities.

You touch on a point that I think can play a role and that is resource management. Buffer management played a huge role in maximizing playback stability. I was thinking more along the lines of in a completely idle system with fast enough network connectivity that buffers aren't playing much of a role (short of being horribly misconfigured), is there something in software A that will make it sound better than software B based on the way it is delivering data to the DAC while maintaining bit perfect delivery of the original file. I may pull in some GitHub repos that operate in exclusive mode and see what is going on there for clues.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #12,895 of 18,897
There are probably better places to discuss this topic, so I won't escalate too much further. I would push back on the player needing to convert the files to square waves. Maybe there are good ones that found justification to write the code to do that, but I think most hand this off to the OS to manage, such as CoreAudio on Mac/iOS which ultimately had that task off to hardware. While I primarily code for backend, api and data systems, I oversaw the development of two streaming apps across iOS and Android which had many millions of installs between them while I was involved.

My audio apps were geared for smooth playback and towards being cost efficient for the user (mobile bills) and us (CDN costs). For some projects I was manipulating the bpm of the music (time stretching) while also having to compensate pitch--obviously not a bit perfect result. We tried to keep audio quality high, but it was more about mitigating tradeoffs than fine tuning for peak audio performance. Therefore, I don't know all that plays a role in maximizing with things like "Exclusive Mode." Obviously if companies like Tidal are doing MQA unfolding in software (though likely that is with a library provided to them) and controlling the sample rate, they are going well beyond what I've ever done, so don't want to discount the possibilities.

You touch on a point that I think can play a role and that is resource management. Buffer management played a huge role in maximizing playback stability. I was thinking more along the lines of in a completely idle system with fast enough network connectivity that buffers aren't playing much of a role (short of being horribly misconfigured), is there something in software A that will make it sound better than software B based on the way it is delivering data to the DAC while maintaining bit perfect delivery of the original file. I may pull in some GitHub repos that operate in exclusive mode and see what is going on there for clues.
It would be great to understand it, it would be great if there was a thread where those people who could explain, would educate us, as it’s black magic currently. I like your idea about comparing githubs. Here’s a link I posted previously regards the same discussion and a letter from an expert.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...nics-the-official-thread.885042/post-15654059

Mar 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #12,897 of 18,897
Thank you @Rob Watts. Quick question: based on this above, is it correct to say that a defective stock PSU could never cause channel imbalance in the TT2?
Never say never - but I can't see or imagine any mechanism at all for a faulty PSU causing a channel inbalence problem.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #12,898 of 18,897
I am comparing Qobuz and Tidal right now. Qobuz seems a good bit louder, is it just me?
Which platform are you using them on? Are you operating both in exclusive mode? If not, it is possible the volume slider is playing a role. Also make sure neither has sound normalization enabled. Finally, just make sure you are comparing the same mastering. The easiest thing to do would be to just pick a newer album that’s never been remastered.

I’ve not heard a significant difference between the two on iOS or BluOS.

EDIT: I may recall a difference between master and hifi in tidal. IIRC master may be a bit quieter for some songs. I’ve been listening on hifi only as of late, so that could be what you are hearing

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #12,899 of 18,897
Has anyone seen any indications that the chip shortage is starting to impact supply chains for audio gear like servers and DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back