Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #10,696 of 19,009
moemoney, what are the advantages with your WA5LE when compared to the WA22?
to my ears the wa5le is a clear step up from the wa22, not only do you have way more headroom it more dynamic there seems to be an effortless drive to the music. It's not subtle I'm using the same driver tubes from the wa22 6N7GT Hytron and recently purchased an additional USAF 596 tube to go with the one I had from the wa22 and that made a noticeable difference to the sound (more detail mostly) I'm hoping to pick up a pair of Takatsuki TA-300B in the next upgrade then the Takatsuki TA-274B. but of course when money allows.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #10,697 of 19,009
to my ears the wa5le is a clear step up from the wa22
moemoney, that sounds like you got exactly what you were looking for. Do you run a TT2 directly into the WA5LE using XLR’s or RCA interconnects, and what do you think of the TT2 as an hp amplifier?

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #10,698 of 19,009
My vote is gsx mk2, cable prion 4 but it’s costly and can take 6 months to be made

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #10,699 of 19,009
Hey there. Newbie Utopia owner here with a few questions.. I'm still plowing through all the history here but would love some guidance on a couple things:
I have two use cases - main system and portable.
1 - My main system is Antipodes CX > EX > P2 > PS Audio DS DAC > PS Audio BHK Preamp as headphone amp. It has a 1/4" front-panel output only. Does anyone know if I can (or is it a good idea to) run balanced out of the XLR outputs on the back of the preamp, presumably into a 2x 3-pin XLR-to-4-pin XLR adapter?
2 - What is a good amp-only match for the Utopias under ~$2.5k USD? My preferences would be full, detailed sound, balanced inputs as well as headphone output. My preference is to avoid DAC/amps as it feels like wasted money. And no, I'm not getting a DAVE. : )

3 - For portable, I'm using a Chord TT2. What is the best way to get balanced out of it to the Utopias? The same XLR outputs on the back of the preamp, into a 2x 3-pin XLR-to-4-pin XLR adapter?
4 - In both applications I'm looking for an upmarket cable, balanced, and if anything for this headphone I would err on the side of filling out the bass but not closing in the treble in terms of voicing.
Since this is the Chord TT2 thread, have you tried the TT2 in your main system instead of the PS Audio gear? It might be better and you would have your main and transportable system all complete now!

I think the Utopias would be fine out of the front panel SE output. If you use he XLRs wired for balanced, the. You are adding additional components (amplifier) and would likely have to use low gain, further adding components (resistor), both interfering with transparency.

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #10,700 of 19,009
bah hum bug

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #10,701 of 19,009
moemoney, that sounds like you got exactly what you were looking for. Do you run a TT2 directly into the WA5LE using XLR’s or RCA interconnects, and what do you think of the TT2 as an hp amplifier?
yes I run it Roon Nucleus>HMS>TT2>WA5LE with XLRs and I could very easily live happily ever after with just the TT2/HMS, but as you know this hobby is very contagious.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #10,702 of 19,009
yes I run it Roon Nucleus>HMS>TT2>WA5LE with XLRs and I could very easily live happily ever after with just the TT2/HMS, but as you know this hobby is very contagious.
moemoney, is it true that once you pair an Mscaler with a TT2 you can't/won't live without the HMS?

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #10,704 of 19,009
moemoney, is it true that once you pair an Mscaler with a TT2 you can't/won't live without the HMS?
You can, but no matter how many times I tried to convince myself I don't need the HMS and used TT2 alone, in no time I HAD TO put it back in the chain. I probably should try to disconnect it for a week and see how bad that becomes. I honestly don't want to.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #10,705 of 19,009
I’m not selling mine, As far as I’m concerned it’s a marriage
moemoney, I'll have to keep my eye out for a disgruntled audiophile who thinks that the HMS is nothing but so much snake oil akin to expensive cables. lol

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #10,706 of 19,009
moemoney, I'll have to keep my eye out for a disgruntled audiophile who thinks that the HMS is nothing but so much snake oil akin to expensive cables. lol
It has been almost 2 years since my HMS. I don't have fancy cables or LPSs, but HMS is still here, I don't even think I'm an audiophile.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #10,707 of 19,009
If your server is a computer then I would suggest trying HQPlayer into TT2. Imho it is just as good as hms with many more filter options. I had hms and was able to AB compare.

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #10,708 of 19,009
If your server is a computer then I would suggest trying HQPlayer into TT2. Imho it is just as good as hms with many more filter options. I had hms and was able to AB compare.
can u share ur preferred setting on hqplayer

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #10,709 of 19,009
Don't you ever get lost in all HQPlayer options? I tried it, after 5+ tweaks to filter options I was lost, I no longer new what is what and what sounds good any more. You probably don't need the TT2 either. IMHO, the beauty of TT2/HMS that it "just works" and I do not need to confuse myself with myriads of options.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #10,710 of 19,009
can u share ur preferred setting on hqplayer
pcm, sinc-m, lns15, 768k, adaptive rate checked gives the closest to hms for me. poly-sinc-long-lp is also good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back