Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #10,711 of 19,009
Don't you ever get in all HQPlayer options? I tried it, after 5+ tweaks to filter options I was lost, I no longer new what is what and what sounds good any more. You probably don't need the TT2 either. IMHO, the beauty of TT2/HMS that it "just works" and I do not need to confuse myself with myriads of options.
the hms is a very piwer up and forget device for sure. I guess I am a bit of a audiophile tweaker

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #10,712 of 19,009
the hms is a very piwer up and forget device for sure. I guess I am a bit of a audiophile tweaker
I do get it, I'm a tweaker too, but nowadays I just want to listen to music, there is so much of it and life is short compared to how much music is there around.

Nov 18, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #10,713 of 19,009
At the beginning of this pandemic I had to send my TT2 for repairs. For almost 3 weeks I had HMS connected to 2Qute(instead of TT2), that's when I learned what a miracle HMS is.
TT2 is already an excellent DAC, HMS makes it sound even better, but it is very subtle to my hearing.
With HMS -> 2Qute, pressing the upscale button on HMS was quite a revelation, it wasn't subtle at all, 2Qute could only get to half of TT2's taps but to my ears sound just leaped to another level.
I would also say that not all recording and genres benefit from HMS equally. If you are into classical, jazz, opera or any well produced recording, Hip-Hop for example, it will reward you accordingly.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #10,714 of 19,009
Sorry for the OT, but does HQplayer only work for music files you have downloaded on your computer/server or can it work directly with streaming from Tidal? If so, how? Thanks. This is for use with a PC, not DAP.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #10,715 of 19,009
If you guys are to rate how big of a change adding an M-Scaler is on the TT2, with 0 being no perceptible difference and 10 being night and day difference, where would you rate it at?

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #10,716 of 19,009
If you guys are to rate how big of a change adding an M-Scaler is on the TT2, with 0 being no perceptible difference and 10 being night and day difference, where would you rate it at?
jambaj0e, I’m anxious to read the responses to your inquiry. My first impressions of the impact of adding a HMS to my listening chain were dubious at best. But somehow now I feel that I’m at the event horizon of a ginormous audiophile blackhole who’s gravity well is so strong that light itself cannot escape its power.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #10,717 of 19,009
I'm not sure that's going to yield any useful response. The TT2 is already very good so I doubt you will get many 8-10 marks. If it made a difference that someone felt able to mark and that mark was 1-3 then some would say it's not worth it for that amount of difference but for others it would be worth it.

For me, it has made music feel more analogue and it seems to have opened up the sound in all dimensions. The TT2 is excellent on it's own and I wouldn't personally say that the M-Scaler is transformational, but I much prefer the system with it rather than without it. It is more noticeable after having listened to it for some time and then bypassing it, whereupon the music feels like it has lost something organic. YMMV.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #10,718 of 19,009
I only recently purchased my TT2 (October 7) and then purchased the M-Scaler about a week later so both devices are obviously pretty new to me. I was very impressed with the TT2 though my main use for it was with my 2.1 stereo system and occasional headphone use. The M-Scaler was an Improvement but it’s difficult to quantify; I like it enough to keep it and the difference was very noticeable to my ears. I’ve since added Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC cables and IsoAccoustic pucks under the M-Scaler with the TT2 sitting on top. I’m using a Chord 2650 integrated amp with Totem Forrest speakers and a Totem Storm sub. My main headphones are Focal Utopia and Stellia but I have a separate headphone station so my wife can listen to music (headphones are a non-starter for her) and I’m using a Focal Arche/Phonitor 2 there. I’ve made numerous other tweaks in my 2.1 system (cables, power management, sub isolation stand, etc) so simply isolating the M-Scaler in terms of relative system improvement is difficult since each tweak now has me approaching the law of diminishing returns. FWIW the Chord TT2/M-Scaler is definitely “superior” to the Arche but I like both. I will say that my wife (no audiophile for sure) noticed the improvement the M-Scaler brought to my 2.1 system so, really, that’s quite an endorsement!
CF0D9EB5-8A91-486C-B80E-F4C2C680682B.jpeg
388E6BBE-5A71-4812-9725-0D4D866B498C.jpeg

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #10,719 of 19,009
I only recently purchased my TT2 (October 7) and then purchased the M-Scaler about a week later so both devices are obviously pretty new to me. I was very impressed with the TT2 though my main use for it was with my 2.1 stereo system and occasional headphone use. The M-Scaler was an Improvement but it’s difficult to quantify; I like it enough to keep it and the difference was very noticeable to my ears. I’ve since added Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC cables and IsoAccoustic pucks under the M-Scaler with the TT2 sitting on top. I’m using a Chord 2650 integrated amp with Totem Forrest speakers and a Totem Storm sub. My main headphones are Focal Utopia and Stellia but I have a separate headphone station so my wife can listen to music (headphones are a non-starter for her) and I’m using a Focal Arche/Phonitor 2 there. I’ve made numerous other tweaks in my 2.1 system (cables, power management, sub isolation stand, etc) so simply isolating the M-Scaler in terms of relative system improvement is difficult since each tweak now has me approaching the law of diminishing returns. FWIW the Chord TT2/M-Scaler is definitely “superior” to the Arche but I like both. I will say that my wife (no audiophile for sure) noticed the improvement the M-Scaler brought to my 2.1 system so, really, that’s quite an endorsement!
CF0D9EB5-8A91-486C-B80E-F4C2C680682B.jpeg388E6BBE-5A71-4812-9725-0D4D866B498C.jpeg

Which IsoACoustic pucks did you get for the M-Scaler? I may pick them up for my TT2

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #10,720 of 19,009
Nov 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #10,722 of 19,009
Sorry for the OT, but does HQplayer only work for music files you have downloaded on your computer/server or can it work directly with streaming from Tidal? If so, how? Thanks. This is for use with a PC, not DAP.
I use roon to send my downloaded, tidal and qobuz streams to hqplayer and then to TT2. Audirvana is another software with good tidal, qobuz integration and can connect to hqplayer through upnp.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #10,724 of 19,009
I use roon to send my downloaded, tidal and qobuz streams to hqplayer and then to TT2. Audirvana is another software with good tidal, qobuz integration and can connect to hqplayer through upnp.

I have Audirvana running as a free trial. Unless I am missing something there is no sort option for Qobuz favourites which makes it a none starter for me. (apologies for OT)

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #10,725 of 19,009
jambaj0e, I’m anxious to read the responses to your inquiry. My first impressions of the impact of adding a HMS to my listening chain were dubious at best. But somehow now I feel that I’m at the event horizon of a ginormous audiophile blackhole who’s gravity well is so strong that light itself cannot escape its power. Bwahahahahaha
I'll listen to music in any form, even on a radio with bad reception, but this is a TT2 thread...
I'll answer to adding HMS question: 1-3 in general, about 7 for my favorite operatic soprano voice. Am I willing to give it up? - Nooooo.

Not everyone listens to classical music, but probably lots of people are familiar how some music music makes them tap their foot if it sounds good. May be it is too much of an assumption, but last night I put my not ultra high end headphones, plug them into HMS/TT2 and start listening to https://www.allmusic.com/album/bartók-concerto-for-orchestra-dance-suite-12-tracks-mw0001377616 that I have never listen before and few minutes later catching myself tapping to classical music! That has never happened with any other equipment.
That's my endorsement of HMS/TT2 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back