Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 21, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #9,181 of 18,905
I have a cannon and have similaor issues, unless your lens has image srabilization and its turned on you can have issues like this.

Use shutter priority and make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/125th fast...

I get sharp pictures without stabilization, use aperture priority not shutter priority or program

May 21, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #9,182 of 18,905
OT, but anyway a tip from a photographer, regarding your photo which does look blurry.
Two things to keep in mind if you can't use a tripod and shoot at a low iso setting is to use an aperture setting ie at least 8 or 11 to get better depth of field and also use a shutter speed that is fast enough for handholding so you can avoid motion blur.
Most modern digital cameras can easily be used at very high 400-1000 or higher iso settings that will allow you to shoot at 250th of second with f 11 to get good depth of field.
Image stabilization can also be helpful.
I don't think the site is at fault in this case.
There have been many photos uploaded here that look sharp and well focussed on my screens.
Back on topic nice to read that you like your Mscaler.
And also most importantly ,a question regarding your version of Holst's the Planets.
I have the original mid 70s recording on an EMI LP and even saw Boult conduct it live at the Proms once many years ago.It is indeed one of the classic recordings of that work from the analogue era and good on LP.
Two other classic Planet recordings from that era are Solti's London Philharmonic recording on DECCA and the Steinberg BSO on DGG.
But for sheer SQ my best recording of that piece is the one from Chandos with Andrew Davis conducting the BBC Philharmonic on a native 24/96 download.
For the most effortless reproduction of those massive climaxes in Mars and the widest dynamic range, I play the Chandos via my Qutest/HMS and via big electrostatic speakers.
Floorshaking stuff.
Which format and remaster of the Boult do you have?
Cheers CC
Thanks for your advice CC. I have in fact tried aperture/ISO/shutter priority; manual/auto focus; tripod; extra lighting...you name it. And still my posted photos can look c**p, especially as I was always a keen photographer...before this hobby (and now redundant tubes!) came along!! And given others' photos that look so good and from probably lesser gear, it must be happening between me and the site itself...grrrrrr!....

I should have waited and read all responses

May 21, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #9,183 of 18,905
Good morning.

Very interesting answers! I use a nuc i7 8th gen with Windows 10 operating system as a player, and I use this media player

I'd like to havof a link t the media player roon, so as to estimate its cost, as well as if it is compatible with windows 10, and especially if it performs better than tt2.

Can you upload some photos so we can see the graphics?

20200521_110448[1].jpg

... until I decide whether to buy the roon as a media player, does a member use the specific one shown in the photo? and if so, has it made any special adjustments? Finally, do you have any suggestions for a better media player in Free version?

May 21, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #9,184 of 18,905
... until I decide whether to buy the roon as a media player, does a member use the specific one shown in the photo? and if so, has it made any special adjustments? Finally, do you have any suggestions for a better media player in Free version?

Perhaps try Media Monkey, https://www.mediamonkey.com/.

I don't know if it sounds any different to your current media player but it's really good for organising a large (local) library.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #9,185 of 18,905
So I’ve just found out that I had a chrome cast audio that I bought 5 yrs ago still in my storage . Now I intend to use this as an endpoint for roon and ditch the usb connection with my laptop.
I’ve just ordered the ifi ipower 5v , but I need recommendations for a decent toslink optical cable . What are you guys using cable wise ?.. preferably something I can source easily from amazon or any online store here in the UK . Cheers .

I use this kabeldirekt cable from my chrome cast audio: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KNQRF4A/ref=pe_1909131_77697121_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

Works perfectly in longer lengths, mine is 4 m. Rob W himself said before he used their cables (RCAs I think so maybe not optical). There may be other options. Sounds great to me so maybe start with this.

Edit: I also have sysconcept from Canada for my Cyrus CDT Signature CD Transport and have researched optical cables at length but think in this use case the Kabeldirekt is probably enough and it fits perfectly without any adapters required

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #9,187 of 18,905
Right then folks, burn me at the stake for defying Chord's diktats, but I'm afraid I must speak the unspeakable after yet another surprising development in my TT2/HMS setup's performance.

After the better than expected results from using my LPS (with upgraded cables) for TT2, I gambled on trying a second for m-scaler...mostly just out of curiosity to begin with. Well, with my first already run in (and proven OK) unit feeding m-s and the new one now for TT2, there was indeed improvement in bass depth and tone, along with various other areas...but not to the same degree as TT2's initial results, and not really such as - for me at least - to warrant any risk to the warranty.

However, after replacing the LPS's supplied DC cable to TT2 with my own DIY one (the power cable having been already done so), the situation is now totally different ...perhaps aided also by further time on the m-scaler, LPS and said DC cable. I say the latter because at first, this new cable didn't give quite the right overall balance and coherence, or the same 3D stage I've come to love. Bass hit really hard, but a tad too much so for my liking, and treble also was a little strident. I couldn't really understand this, given the smoother result from LPS's inferior (but still better than the SMPS's) stock DC cable. Anyway, today, after a night's rest and further running in, this afternoon brought an astonishing revelation...as though a switch had been engaged : bass depth was still there - far deeper than from stock - but now didn't dominate, and with even more detail and enveloping 'presence', carrying rhythm with masterly ease. Faultless treble response was back, sans slight harshness; the range of subtle tones/overtones from acoustic instruments was a good deal greater; male and female voices had even more character, depth and 'emotion'; everything within the 3 dimensional stage sounded more 'together' than previously even (no minor feat lol!); note attack, sustain and decay (or abrupt halt) were startlingly precise and controlled as I've never heard before; dynamics handling also managed to surpass its already excellent ability....I could go on...:)...But I shall just say that all these improvements came at no expense of any other aspect of delivery whatsoever, and in my system. Plus, neither LPS introduces any hint of interference/distortion/sound degradation...the exact opposite in fact.

Suffice to say that I'm so impressed with the new performance that I am happy to take the risk of voiding the warranty if my LPSs should cause any problems...(I have in fact connected to them tiny LED voltage displays so I can keep a close eye on them! :wink:...and no, they too don't display any negative effects).

And so, just a couple of pics of the pieces in question :

P1020247.JPG
Both with their stock cables.

P1020255.JPGP1020258.JPG

Immediately above : 1. SMPS's power cable vs my German, heavily shielded one - the other an even better Neotech OCC-wired one. 2. SMPS's almost bell wire(!) DC cable vs my DIY using cannibalised cat 7 cable with replacement teflon coated UP-OCC solid copper and silver wires and gold plated, part carbon fibre DC plug, as in :

P1020236.JPG

ps. Once again, proof to me anyway of the benefits of very good cables...even a 'mere' DC one lol! Not to mention the unmentionable Linear Power Supply...

I shall now go do my penance...but it won't be too painful!!...CHEERS!

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #9,188 of 18,905
Also, take a look at MusicBee https://getmusicbee.com/ A fine free player and manger, pulls artist info from the web, will auto-tag and tidy files and bit-perfect ouput of course.

May 21, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #9,189 of 18,905

Where did you get this Neotech "teflon coated UP-OCC solid copper and silver wires"? I've seen the Neotech teflon pure copper and teflon silver separately, but your wire has BOTH silver and copper in the same cable?
When I made my DIY DC cable with OCC copper wire, it sounded better when AWG was doubled up, and improved further when I added pure silver wire to the mix.

May 22, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #9,190 of 18,905
Hi again Guys. I would like to ask the following: I use Hugo tt2 only as a dac, which I have connected to my integrated amplifier. Can I use Amp mode to make Volume available? Or can this configuration damage Hugo?

Thank you..
Please I would like to ask another question regarding the connection of Hugo tt2.

As I said in another post, I have connected tt2 to an input of my integrated Mcintosh MA 7900 amplifier with a pair of rca cables.

My questions are:

1. Can I connect to XLR cables using the appropriate Hugo output, and the appropriate input of the integrated amplifier? Or is this output intended only for a final amplifier, and not a complete one?

2. Do you think this type of connection will improve sound performance?

Thank you.

Νikos

May 22, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #9,191 of 18,905
Please I would like to ask another question regarding the connection of Hugo tt2.

As I said in another post, I have connected tt2 to an input of my integrated Mcintosh MA 7900 amplifier with a pair of rca cables.

My questions are:

1. Can I connect to XLR cables using the appropriate Hugo output, and the appropriate input of the integrated amplifier? Or is this output intended only for a final amplifier, and not a complete one?

Thank you.

Νikos

You can do it, and it will work, but I doubt it will improve the sound. There will be less transparency due to the added amplification. But you don’t need the extra power for your preamp/integrated, so it would be wasted. But try it - you may like the sound better.

May 22, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #9,192 of 18,905

My questions are:

Thank you.

Νikos

Hello, yes you most certainly can use RCA or XLR. Whether one sounds better than the other is entirely up to your ears.

May 22, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #9,193 of 18,905
Where did you get this Neotech "teflon coated UP-OCC solid copper and silver wires"? I've seen the Neotech teflon pure copper and teflon silver separately, but your wire has BOTH silver and copper in the same cable?
When I made my DIY DC cable with OCC copper wire, it sounded better when AWG was doubled up, and improved further when I added pure silver wire to the mix.

Hi JL. Yes indeed...both silver and copper separately, not a fan of silver-plated copper I'm afraid (apart from in Neotech's mains cable)...and from HiFi Collective here in the UK. And yes, thicker wire is going to have less resistance of course and to be preferred. I myself always liked pure silver (soft annealed) for a long time...until OCC wire came along - especially Neotech's offering! And now I use it (both) in everything and won't even consider anything else - headphone cable; interconnects; electrical digital, and now DC cables. Silver is undoubtedly better than copper, but in OCC form can get rather expensive...another good reason for keeping cables as short as possible lol! :wink:

ps. Using cat 7 Ethernet cable once more (cat 8 is only suitable for very short runs unfortunately, as the original twisted wire pairs are much harder to extract!), the four now empty foil shields are perfect conduits for 2x silver and 2x copper teflon coated wires, with therefore - as for use as digital cable - superior shielding, in combination with the braid shield. And for the DIYer this must represent an end result hardly matched out there, and at any price!...especially now that cat 7/8 cable can be had for relative peanuts lol :relaxed:.

May 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #9,194 of 18,905
You can do it, and it will work, but I doubt it will improve the sound. There will be less transparency due to the added amplification. But you don’t need the extra power for your preamp/integrated, so it would be wasted. But try it - you may like the sound better.
Hello, yes you most certainly can use RCA or XLR. Whether one sounds better than the other is entirely up to your ears.
Thank you very much for your answers.
It's something I should try. When I do, I will inform you of the results.

I would also like to ask something else. I have the Hifiman HD 560 headphones and the cable it had when I bought it is 2m long. Unfortunately this length is short, I need a total of 4.5 m, so far is the listening position from the dac. Is there a proposal of up to € 200 for a non-stop cable with a 6 mm plug that will be connected to the dac hugo, so that I can replace it with the old 2 m one?

I show one photo
20200522_175559.jpg
20200522_175559.jpg
with the plugs of the old cable ..

May 22, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #9,195 of 18,905
Thank you very much for your answers.
It's something I should try. When I do, I will inform you of the results.

I would also like to ask something else. I have the Hifiman HD 560 headphones and the cable it had when I bought it is 2m long. Unfortunately this length is short, I need a total of 4.5 m, so far is the listening position from the dac. Is there a proposal of up to € 200 for a non-stop cable with a 6 mm plug that will be connected to the dac hugo, so that I can replace it with the old 2 m one?

I show one photo20200522_175559.jpg20200522_175559.jpg with the plugs of the old cable ..
My TT2 is in my main system driving speakers, but when I want to listen to headphones I use something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Pr.../B00B2J4U72/ref=psdc_1098227031_t3_B00UANW4QU
I'm sure you can find something like this that cost closer to € 200 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back