Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 20, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #9,166 of 18,905
No concerns w/ capacitor life leaving equipment on 24/7? I guess it is trivial and quality caps would last decades regardless..

Any equipment failures I have had over the years have normally happened at switch on so I now leave everything on 24/7 apart from my Class A Pass Labs amps.

May 20, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #9,167 of 18,905
Supercaps! I leave my TT2 on all the time, but don’t have brown-outs. Maybe an in-line backup power supply that would bridge a few to 0 minutes of power outage? That may work to keep your TT2 in standby.

If the so called “Brown Outs” only occur for 1 to 2 seconds as has been suggested, then there are no worries leaving TT2 on as the Supercaps can power TT2 for approximately 9 seconds.

May 20, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #9,168 of 18,905
If the so called “Brown Outs” only occur for 1 to 2 seconds as has been suggested, then there are no worries leaving TT2 on as the Supercaps can power TT2 for approximately 9 seconds.
In reality it is more like 30-40 seconds. I tried it.

May 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #9,170 of 18,905
I only leave it on if I know I will use it within like 8 hours. There are days where I never use it so I feel it doesn't make sense to leave it on in all the time. Plus, when you turn it off via the Standby button, it's just that, standby, not a full power cut. That's what Standby is for isn't it?

May 20, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #9,171 of 18,905
I know a few of you have gone from Qutest to TT2. Has anyone gone from MScaled Qutest to MScaled TT2?
How much of an upgrade is this? Especially considering that the MScaler effectively replaces the WTA1 In the TT2 completely.
Still a worthwhile upgrade if its only being used as a DAC?

Any feedback or opinions appreciated.

That was my path to a TT2 & MScaler. It’s been too long to give detailed impressions but suffice to say it was a big, immediately noticeable step up. To the point where I didn’t realize what the MScaler was capable of into I added the TT2. The two big aspects I remember were soundstage and realism taking a huge jump.

May 21, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #9,172 of 18,905
So I have some power issues where I live where we get brown outs frequently. This is where the electricity cuts out for a second or two sometimes. This affects my TT 2 because as we know, if you unplug it and plug it back in, it then powers on automatically.

On more than one occasion, I've arrived home to find my TT2 powered on and I had to wonder how long it had been left on...

Does anyone have a good solution for this? I guess I could install some sort of AC switch or even a UPS, but I worry about affecting the audio quality.

Hi Mh. As far as I'm concerned, such equipment as TT2 and Mscaler really deserve, and respond well to, good mains conditioning. I personally rate very highly my AirlinkTransformers ASF 3000 Balanced Mains Conditioning/Filter unit with 5 power outlets, surge/overload protection, soft start etc. With all equipment fed by it, its own power switch then becomes master of course. In my own system the sound improvement is dramatic compared to standard power strips especially. My tube amp pal in the US is very happy with his Furman conditioner, even though not a balanced version.

May 21, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #9,173 of 18,905
Roon is superb for me, one of the best cost-price-usability parts of my setup. (I use mscaler+Hugo2 right now, will be the same with the TT2 later I guess)

Roon is faster, and more intuitive.

I recommend Roon.
Roon sounds excellent and is more than a music player it's a whole interactive experience. try it and see.
Good morning.

Very interesting answers! I use a nuc i7 8th gen with Windows 10 operating system as a player, and I use this media player

I'd like to havof a link t the media player roon, so as to estimate its cost, as well as if it is compatible with windows 10, and especially if it performs better than tt2.

Can you upload some photos so we can see the graphics?

20200521_110448[1].jpg

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #9,174 of 18,905
Good morning.

Very interesting answers! I use a nuc i7 8th gen with Windows 10 operating system as a player, and I use this media player

I'd like to havof a link t the media player roon, so as to estimate its cost, as well as if it is compatible with windows 10, and especially if it performs better than tt2.

Can you upload some photos so we can see the graphics?

20200521_110448[1].jpg
https://roonlabs.com/

May 21, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #9,175 of 18,905
All dacs have an amplification section. The TT2 uses the power pulse tech in its amplification section. Without an amp section there would be no output from the dac. So the difference is in how that amplification is integrated. With that said the amp in the TT2 is really clean and transparent.
obviously i meant no separate headphone amp section. in chord dacs, dac out and headphone out are same.

May 21, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #9,177 of 18,905
You know music servers or storage units like the Innuos or Novafidelity X14. … How do we know they are playing back in bit-perfect?

Have been scanning the Innuos website and can't see a reference to bit-perfect playback.

May 21, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #9,178 of 18,905
So I’ve just found out that I had a chrome cast audio that I bought 5 yrs ago still in my storage . Now I intend to use this as an endpoint for roon and ditch the usb connection with my laptop.
I’ve just ordered the ifi ipower 5v , but I need recommendations for a decent toslink optical cable . What are you guys using cable wise ?.. preferably something I can source easily from amazon or any online store here in the UK . Cheers .

May 21, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #9,180 of 18,905
OK guys...m-scaler in da house, and even after just a couple of hours, expectations are well exceeded. Especially as I was a little apprehensive as to just how much further it could take my TT2 after elevating its performance by no small degree, courtesy of my dual modified cat 8 cable (using teflon coated UP-OCC silver wires) as coax 'alternative' (plus a little help from my LPS, again with upgraded cables).

Anyway, to be as brief as I can (not usually my style lol!), my concerns were definitely unfounded...this (small) marvel does indeed take TT2 to entirely new levels - on all counts : an already excellent bass is now all one could ask for; treble is simply sublime; vocals (especially female) are texturally divine...the entire FR being perfectly balanced, and with faultless dynamics handling.

All these aspects - and many more - are highlighted already by one of my main orchestral test pieces: an excellently remastered Holst's 'Planets Suite' (Sir Adrian Boult/LPO). The dynamic passages in 'Mars' are delivered with thunderous aplomb and control...instrument delineation is uncanny for such an old recording, and testament both to the original and remastering engineers' skill. And then the transition to the quiet 'Venus' displays the combo's masterly handling of deftness and restraint...utterly sublime. And all this in the quietest, deathly black background imaginable. It goes without saying that excellent PRaT are evident throughout.

And just a final mention of soundstage. All elements are positioned in 3D space such that anything wider, deeper etc would surely detract from imaging and focus to an unacceptable degree, and become very artificial...a quality many mistake as being 'better'.

I could go on even more, but in conclusion the all encompassing effect is one of totally effortless purity, clarity and 'polish'. And which has cured me of any lingering desire whatsoever to return to tubeland...no matter how exotic the fare lol! :wink:...(and all this before even approaching the full potential of m-scaler's effect upon my TT2). And in my own system of course...

So, just a quick pic of the marvel(s!) in question :

DSC_0068 m-scaler.jpg

(ps. Why do my photos posted here keep looking nowhere near as sharp as they should be lol? :slight_frown:)....CHEERS!
the hp is the focus point
Thanks guys...shan't be relying on my Nikon D5200's autofocus any more lol! (And yet looks nice and sharp not only my screen, but also even better when edited on my laptop!! Perhaps I should have got the Canon after all! :wink:).
I have a cannon and have similaor issues, unless your lens has image srabilization and its turned on you can have issues like this.

Use shutter priority and make sure your shutter speed is at least 1/125th fast...

Always use aperture priority and set aperture to 9 or smaller. Aperture of 11 will make everything sharp front to back but need a lot of light or shutter speed will induce motion blur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back