Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:54 AM Post #8,386 of 18,905
27 inch ultra hd screen. ssd silent. no antivirus or drivers for mac. totally stable. optical out. gorgeous 27 inch screen for album covers. a server is a computer.:sunglasses:

Nice mac but I wouldn't want it in my sitting room (we even hide the telly behind a curtain!).

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #8,387 of 18,905
This is the reason I avoid standard computers like the plague for audio. There is always constant faffing required with software updates, drivers etc.
You can avoid all of this with a cheap solution like an Auralic aries mini.
or a really really expensive solution. :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #8,388 of 18,905
a nice hi end server would be nice no doubt.

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #8,389 of 18,905
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B06XYJK1N9?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image this cheap device is a major step towards the cleanest usb audio. It is simply a battery pack of 4xAA batteries which outputs slightly more than 5v with NiMH batteries and you replace the dirty usb power through this. You simply plug the micro usb into ifi idefender and 99% problems of usb audio are vanished. Now add one or two ifi isilencer before ifi idefender and even the cheapest laptop becomes the most transparent and cleanest usb transport in conjunction with foobar and asio driver.

Jan 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #8,390 of 18,905
I am having some problems with my Windows 10 PC and the Hugo TT 2. The way I have this PC set up, the Chord is the default audio device. When it is off, there is no audio output. When it is on and headphones are plugged in, audio output goes to the headphones naturally. When there is no headphones plugged in, output is to a pair of Audioengine 2 speakers (fixed output, so volume is controlled by the speakers).

When everything is working, no problems.

However, it seems the driver for the Chord keeps getting screwed up. This manifests itself in no audio output. Videos won't even play silently. Everything is stuck until I "fix" the driver via the Windows Troubleshooter or I reboot the PC.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a driver problem? I used the driver that was on the Chord website.

Thanks,
Jim

I have no idea how to fix your solution. …. My TT2 behaves similarly but not to an extent where it needs fixing.

With TT2 on stand-by, videos in webpages, or YouTube will not run. Videos sort of inch forward at a frame at a time. If I turn on the TT2, videos may run, but the sound crackles. … To sort this, I have to restart the internet browser. Or start the TT2 before I start the browser.

Similarly if I am using JRiver media Centre, it behaves the same. Must start TT2 before I start JRiver.

Although this has always been the case with the TT2, the Qutest does not work that way. I can start up Qutest anytime and it will run audio on YouTube, or videos in web pages. I think Qutest needs to be running before JRiver is running though; (can't remember).

EDIT: Even the Hugo 2 interacts differently than the Qutest and Mojo, in certain situations.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #8,392 of 18,905
This is the reason I avoid standard computers like the plague for audio. There is always constant faffing required with software updates, drivers etc.
You can avoid all of this with a cheap solution like an Auralic aries mini.

You can also tame windows, it just depends on how far you want to go time wise on learning how windows works outside it's glossy gui.

For the dude thats having a problem, first off I would start by uninstalling the chord audio driver, then reinstall, if that does not fix the problem, I would hire me to fix it for you remotely. I charge by the hour.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #8,393 of 18,905
My tolerance for faffing with operating systems is zero, however I understand for some people this is a hobby that they enjoy. I also hate the idea of a tethered laptop for controlling music, where you have to walk up to the system to choose what to play. I much prefer a discreet audio server running Roon which I control from my iPad, and the bare minimum of getting pestered for software updates (Windows/1000).

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #8,394 of 18,905
My tolerance for faffing with operating systems is zero, however I understand for some people this is a hobby that they enjoy. I also hate the idea of a tethered laptop for controlling music, where you have to walk up to the system to choose what to play. I much prefer a discreet audio server running Roon which I control from my iPad, and the bare minimum of getting pestered for software updates (Windows/1000).

I can control from phone or PC with our Synology NAS

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #8,395 of 18,905
I am having some problems with my Windows 10 PC and the Hugo TT 2. The way I have this PC set up, the Chord is the default audio device. When it is off, there is no audio output. When it is on and headphones are plugged in, audio output goes to the headphones naturally. When there is no headphones plugged in, output is to a pair of Audioengine 2 speakers (fixed output, so volume is controlled by the speakers).

When everything is working, no problems.

However, it seems the driver for the Chord keeps getting screwed up. This manifests itself in no audio output. Videos won't even play silently. Everything is stuck until I "fix" the driver via the Windows Troubleshooter or I reboot the PC.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a driver problem? I used the driver that was on the Chord website.

Thanks,
Jim

I think you might be experiencing the issue where you have your Hugo TT2 being used via WASAPI or ASIO and then you try to play something like YouTube that uses the Windows built in mixer. That will not work - if you are playing something using exclusive mode (which you might be in your audio application) then Windows cannot play anything over that using it's mixer until the device is "released" by the audio application. That may involve clicking stop and not just pause in your audio application. Then Windows will be able to resume playing audio from applications like web browsers again.

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #8,396 of 18,905
That's what I do close the foobar app so I can use itunes or youtube.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #8,397 of 18,905
get an Imac

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #8,398 of 18,905
You can also tame windows, it just depends on how far you want to go time wise on learning how windows works outside it's glossy gui.

For the dude thats having a problem, first off I would start by uninstalling the chord audio driver, then reinstall, if that does not fix the problem, I would hire me to fix it for you remotely. I charge by the hour.

I'm mostly interested to hear if other people have this problem. I'd hazard to guess that I'm more proficient figuring out Windows problems than over 99% of the people in this forum, but the driver behavior is unusual. I have already tried the driver uninstall/reinstall and it doesn't fix the problem, so I am inclined to believe that Chord writes a poor WASAPI driver. That is, unless, I'm the only one having this problem, then that would indicate it may be a problem with my Windows install.

Jan 22, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #8,400 of 18,905
I think you might be experiencing the issue where you have your Hugo TT2 being used via WASAPI or ASIO and then you try to play something like YouTube that uses the Windows built in mixer. That will not work - if you are playing something using exclusive mode (which you might be in your audio application) then Windows cannot play anything over that using it's mixer until the device is "released" by the audio application. That may involve clicking stop and not just pause in your audio application. Then Windows will be able to resume playing audio from applications like web browsers again.

Yeah, this is not a WASAPI/ASIO exclusive mode problem. I know what that looks like, and this doesn't look like that. It's literally affecting playback of audio/video in that they don't play at all, not just not produce audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back