Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #7,471 of 18,907
‘Passthrough’ via the MScaler to TT2 is in the digital domain, not analogue.
Pass-though in this way would have had an extremely negligible, if any at all, impact on this arrangement, compared to TT2 ‘direct’.
You only speculate here. Again i would say hearing and comparing the way TT2 alone direct path is the only way to know. The bnc cables have probebly some loss to unless you have really good ones and that probebly still have some loss but less loss.

Also hifi seems more complex then we know
Xrelic posted this recently. On about how transparancy degrades passing through longer paths if i understand it right. Even down to solder and metal can effect the sound. Still this is about balanced vs unbalanced but you add more electronics and metal and solder the signal has to pass through right. And mscaler also have own power suply that i can think impacts sound. Really do i am not an technical expert whatsoever so i only slso speculate.

The following is a quote from Rob and applies to all his designs and SE discrete DAC philosophy:

"Well this is a complex subject, and sometimes a balanced connection does sound better than single ended (SE) - in a pre-power context - but it depends upon the environment, and the pre and power and the interconnect. But the downside of balanced is that you are doubling the number of analogue components in the direct signal path, and this degrades transparency. In my experience every passive component is audible, every metal to metal interface (including solder joints - I once had a lot of fun listening to solder) has an impact - in case of metal/metal interfaces it degrades detail resolution and the perception of depth. So going balanced will have a cost in transparency.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #7,472 of 18,907
You only speculate here. Again i would say hearing and comparing the way TT2 alone direct path is the only way to know. The bnc cables have probebly some loss to unless you have really good ones and that probebly still have some loss but less loss.

Also hifi seems more complex then we know
Xrelic posted this recently. On about how transparancy degrades passing through longer paths if i understand it right. Even down to solder and metal can effect the sound.

The following is a quote from Rob and applies to all his designs and SE discrete DAC philosophy:

"Well this is a complex subject, and sometimes a balanced connection does sound better than single ended (SE) - in a pre-power context - but it depends upon the environment, and the pre and power and the interconnect. But the downside of balanced is that you are doubling the number of analogue components in the direct signal path, and this degrades transparency. In my experience every passive component is audible, every metal to metal interface (including solder joints - I once had a lot of fun listening to solder) has an impact - in case of metal/metal interfaces it degrades detail resolution and the perception of depth. So going balanced will have a cost in transparency.
You’re talking about loss, or degradation in the analogue domain, which is understandable.
As I have stated above, the HMS passthrough is in the digital domain, NOT the analogue domain.
Therefore, passthrough on the HMS will have no bearing at all on the TT2’s SQ. It is still receiving all the digital data it needs, in either case.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #7,473 of 18,907
You’re talking about loss, or degradation in the analogue domain, which is understandable.
As I have stated above, the HMS passthrough is in the digital domain, NOT the analogue domain.
Therefore, passthrough on the HMS will have no bearing at all on the TT2’s SQ. It is still receiving all the digital data it needs, in either case.
There can be loss in the digital domain to. Thats why there can be difference in digital cables. Thats why different sources can sound better/worse feeding the dac.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #7,474 of 18,907
There can be loss in the digital domain to. Thats why there can be difference in digital cables.
There is NO LOSS in the digital domain in this case, otherwise you’d get a break in the digital signal, and also in the resulting analogue waveform.
Please take some tome to understand digital theory, before posting such misinformation.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #7,475 of 18,907
There is NO LOSS in the digital domain, otherwise you’d get a break in the digital signal, and also in resulting analogue waveform.
Please take some tome to understand digital theory, before posting such misinformation.
Yes with rfi/emi. Not really loss but more noise masking the sound. And you cant change my mind on this anyway hifi is more complex sometimes then we know.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #7,476 of 18,907
Yes with rfi/emi. Not really loss but more noise maskingg the sound. And you cant change my mind on this anyway.
Oh, I forgot. You believe that Cat 8 cables ‘sound better’ than Cat 6 cables, don’t you? #7416
I rest my case...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #7,477 of 18,907
Oh, I forgot. You believe that Cat 8 cables ‘sound better’ than Cat 6 cables, don’t you?
I rest my case...
I rest my case to there is so many real world people that confirmed this already all cant be liars at least that the supra ethernet cat8 cable sounded better then cheaper generic ones. Also my supra optical vs more expensive atlas mavros optical lifted some veils with hugo2 with more details. Maybe it could depend mostly on the sheilding and other things though if one ethernet cable is better then the other. Audio bacon guy thinks one more expensive sotm cat7 sound better for exempel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/audiob...view-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/

20 five star reviews
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable

Mark
16 MAY 2018
Verified Purchaser
Cat 8 replaced Cat 6a cable. Used from a NAS drive to router to stream FLAC to a DAC. There was small improvement in detail & bass.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #7,478 of 18,907
TT2+HMS , low gain and xfeed 1, hd650 directly into tt2 is unbelievably refined and extremely enjoyable. First time i liked headphones at par or even better in some areas to my speaker system.

What are you using for your speaker system. The TT2 paired with my Ab1266 tc bests my speaker system in terms of resolution. This is not by a huge amount but enough to be heard. My speakers a re really resolving to begin with as well.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #7,479 of 18,907
There is NO LOSS in the digital domain in this case, otherwise you’d get a break in the digital signal, and also in the resulting analogue waveform.
Admittedly I don’t know what I’m talking about. But maybe the word ‘loss’ is problematic. The data in the digital realm is not the same data in all circumstances.
Considering mscaler reclocking the digital signal, to something downstream, the signal has been changed. Suppose a bad reclocking can lead to loss, or just difference.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #7,480 of 18,907
I rest my case to there is so many real world people that confirmed this already all cant be liars at least that the supra ethernet cat8 cable sounded better then cheaper generic ones. Also my supra optical vs more expensive atlas mavros optical lifted some veils with hugo2 with more details. Maybe it could depend mostly on the sheilding and other things though if one ethernet cable is better then the other. Audio bacon guy thinks one more expensive sotm cat7 sound better for exempel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/audiob...view-an-amazing-spotify-and-tidal-experience/

20 five star reviews
https://www.futureshop.co.uk/supra-cat8-flame-retardant-ethernet-cable

Mark
16 MAY 2018
Verified Purchaser
Cat 8 replaced Cat 6a cable. Used from a NAS drive to router to stream FLAC to a DAC. There was small improvement in detail & bass.
Try reading this:

http://www.audiodrom.net/en/special-edition-reviews/104-ethernet-rj-45-cables-shootout

VERY illuminating.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #7,481 of 18,907
Admittedly I don’t know what I’m talking about. But maybe the word ‘loss’ is problematic. The data in the digital realm is not the same data in all circumstances.
Considering mscaler reclocking the digital signal, to something downstream, the signal has been changed. Suppose a bad reclocking can lead to loss, or just difference.
In ‘Pass-through’ mode on the HMS, it’s just that - Passthrough. No change to the digital data.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #7,482 of 18,907
In ‘Pass-through’ mode on the HMS, it’s just that - Passthrough. No change to the digital data.
Dan says it’s reclocked, it passes through the fpga, the input buffers swap it to output buffers, i remember rob saying there is a tiny change made. It upsamples by 1 tap.

Oct 20, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #7,483 of 18,907
Oct 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #7,484 of 18,907
it looks to me like a topping promotion site and someone explained earlier how a mojo went missing just when they needed it for an important comparison.
It was me. Just to clarify. Given that some (not all) Mojo measurements obtained by ASR were far from Chord measurements, someone suggested to test with optical instead of USB, as there could be issues with USB (external or internal to Mojo. And in fact some people here in head-fi have reported issues with Mojo USB under certain circumstances (cell phones induced noise I think). The tester agreed to do it. The Mojo bashing continued, and some time later when asked about the optical testing he replied he had returned Mojo already so it was not possible anymore. It was clear the Mojo was available when he agreed to do it.
The difference between unbiased review and biased review is that that unbiased would try to clarify the issue and then report the specific problems found. A biased review as soon as an issue is found, mission is accomplished. No further investigation required, after all there is the risk the culprit may be found, and even if the issue persists, it has to be said that the issue only happens in some cases, rather than generalizing the issue.
As I said before, in the end some Korean tests surfaced, confirming Chord measurements.
I am not saying the issue found using usb was not Mojo to fault. We don't know as the tester was not interested in finding out. After all, with such an awful user interface, there was nothing worth to save there.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #7,485 of 18,907
Already sold my hugo2
Besides that my tt2 sometimes stop outputting any sound(also there is no light shine through the tt2 window) during playbacks, i am pretty sure the usb connection is not lost(same cable and port as Hugo2)
If I restart the playback the sound is back and normal but after maybe 30min of continuous playing the phenomenon may occurs randomly.

I thought the issue was only the remote. That additional issue of usb playback stopping working after some time seems a little related to the issue of remote stopping working after some time...
If you can't go to your dealer to test it there, I think you should return your TT2.
But don't think bad of TT2, it works great, you just had bad luck it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back