Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #7,501 of 18,895
cable guy keeps saying the pin 1 needs to connect to something to prevent damaging tt2

Just needs to make sure if I should leave pin 1 completely disconnected

Thank you for your info

May i ask is there any tonality difference? (Between se and bal)
You should ask that guy to what exact part of headphones he wants to connect pin 1 ))))

I don`t think that there is any difference in tonal balance between outputs. I was driving HE6se and with SE output it simply does not have enough power for this cans.

Oct 21, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #7,502 of 18,895
If you read the article conclusion, the author says it was almost impossible to hear differences in testing scenarios, when RJ-45 cable was used as network cable. Opposite to scenario, when it was used as I2S connection. It shows the importance of the transfer protocol, where the TCP/IP is self correcting, thus even the cheapest cable works well. That very small difference may (just my idea - not scientifically proved) be accounted to the fact that higher ethernet standards (CAT7, CAT8) are shielded, which in fact may give worse results, because it allows to transfer some RFI noise from the source or router to the end point, while CAT5 UTP is unshielded and provides so much wanted galvanic isolation almost for free. You can find more posts from Miska at Audiophile style on this topic. He, author of HQ Player, recommends UTP (unshielded twisted pair) ethernet cables.
He also said

"The susceptibility to the EMI will largely depend on the design of the cable and for the transmission is voltage, hence analog, it was not surprising that we have found intriguing sound differences between the cables in the test."

And more
”The Supra was a remarkable improvement over the OTSC. Orchestra was back and the music improved tonally and spatially. The Supra’s sound was darker, denser and more dynamic than that of the OTSC. Compared to the Vodka it lacked transparency and unfortunately preserved the boominess of the OTSC. The longer we listened to the Supra the more we missed a clearer view into what was the orchestra doing. Also the layering of the soundstage was not fine enough to appreciate it.”

Most expensive aq vodka seems the best.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #7,503 of 18,895
And more
”The Supra was a remarkable improvement over the OTSC. Orchestra was back and the music improved tonally and spatially. The Supra’s sound was darker, denser and more dynamic than that of the OTSC. Compared to the Vodka it lacked transparency and unfortunately preserved the boominess of the OTSC. The longer we listened to the Supra the more we missed a clearer view into what was the orchestra doing. Also the layering of the soundstage was not fine enough to appreciate it.”
This statement was made using the Supra as an LVDS protocol cable, and NOT as a router cable.
As you can read (?) in the final conclusion, the author preferred the generic/OTSC cable as a router cable cable, but admitted they all ‘sounded’ pretty similar.
Although he did single-out the Supra by stating: ‘The Supra was audibly softer and more muffled than others, keeping similar signature that was heard in the HS-Link application.’

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #7,504 of 18,895
"The susceptibility to the EMI will largely depend on the design of the cable and for the transmission is voltage, hence analog, it was not surprising that we have found intriguing sound differences between the cables in the test."
YET AGAIN you are confusing the use of Ethernet cables in LVDS protocol applications vs router applications. The statement you have quoted relates to the use of the Supra cable in an LVDS protocol application, and NOT as a router cable.
I would suggest you either read the article correctly, and/or study TCP/IP protocol, rather than misquoting articles to support your false premise that Cat8 cables are in any way superior to UTP Cat6 in networking applications for music.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #7,505 of 18,895
My setup seems to show up as a wifi device that I can connected to.

I only have the mscaler and tt2.

It shows up as Chord MScaler & TT2.a

And both are physically unplugged from their power supplies.

I have no idea what it is causing it, especially since they are unplugged, but show up as full strength signal wifi device on my ipad.

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #7,506 of 18,895
I don’t think tt2 is anywhere near bad, very happy with the sound. Just bit doubtful with the QC of chord
For a device that charge at this price I wasn’t expecting any trivial problems like this to occur.
I am trying to get a replacement because i do suspect my unit was used (there was no plastic sealer on the screen with some scratches on the screen too)
Thank you for your advice and wish your tt2 best of it’s ‘health’

When I said don't think bad of TT2, I meant don't think bad of TT2 QC :) You just had bad luck. :frowning2:
Mine was immaculate. But there was no plastic on the screen, only on the BT window. Which makes sense because very few people use BT, while everybody uses the screen.
But you are right that the scratches on the screen raises suspicious as not being really a brand new unit, at least not factory sealed. My unit, received two weeks ago is SN 42323. Immaculate. The box seemed factory closed. The batteries were sealed.
But all used units should work as well as unused units, unless misused.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #7,507 of 18,895
When I said don't think bad of TT2, I meant don't think bad of TT2 QC :) You just had bad luck. :frowning2:
Mine was immaculate. But there was no plastic on the screen, only on the BT window. Which makes sense because very few people use BT, while everybody uses the screen.
But you are right that the scratches on the screen raises suspicious as not being really a brand new unit, at least not factory sealed. My unit, received two weeks ago is SN 42323. Immaculate. The box seemed factory closed. The batteries were sealed.
But all used units should work as well as unused units, unless misused.

There is no plastic on the screen???all the open box video shows there is plastic on the screen...

Besides that i found a cutting mark(like somebody trying to cut the tape) on the plastic bag that warped around tt2 (I didn’t use knife so the cutting is not my doing)

None of that is important if the device performs well. But it didn’t I experiencing occasional drop out (tt2 stops outputting sound during playback)

Also some times when its bass heavy(gaming) tt2 would stop outputting sound for a sec and two, feels like the super caps is out of power or something

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #7,508 of 18,895
There is no plastic on the screen???all the open box video shows there is plastic on the screen...
Besides that i found a cutting mark(like somebody trying to cut the tape) on the plastic bag that warped around tt2 (I didn’t use knife so the cutting is not my doing)
None of that is important if the device performs well. But it didn’t I experiencing occasional drop out (tt2 stops outputting sound during playback)
Also some times when its bass heavy(gaming) tt2 would stop outputting sound for a sec and two, feels like the super caps is out of power or something

Only plastic mine had was on BT, still there, I didn't remove any plastic.
I am not sure if you already mentioned, but did you try the TT2 with another PC (desktop or laptop), just to make sure the dropouts are not PC caused. I know your H2 worked well, but a million things run in a PC, something could have changed.
But there again there is the remote issue. Could be coincidence but probably related with the playback dropouts.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #7,509 of 18,895
Looking at the serial no here and some very rough calculations my guess is chord are selling 500 to 600 TT2's per month. big guesstimate.

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #7,511 of 18,895
i wonder if this type of plastic could permeate into the inner circuitry and have an adverse effect on sound quality? maybe we should test this. keeping in line with the general gist of recent postings.:thinking: so i propose plastic on//plastic off blind testing....

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #7,512 of 18,895
Is anyone using a subwoofer in a 2.1 system with the TT2 driving the speakers directly? Right now I drive Dynaudio excite 12’s direct, using the XLR outputs at the back of my TT2. There is a Dyn sub 250 for sale near me, and I was thinking about grabbing it to try with this setup. I remember Raydude uses subs in his setup with the Dave, so I was thinking along those lines. The thing is, the RCA outs of the TT2 work at the same time as the XLR’s I believe, but since the Sub has an inbuilt 200 watt amp, how would this work? Right now I am in AMP mode/High gain, but would it work still in amp mode, or would the RCA’s somehow output no power if connected to a powered sub? As you can see I am a bit confused, normally I have used subs with my Cary Audio Cinema 12 as a Pre/processor, which does not carry any power, any ideas?

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #7,513 of 18,895
I use XLR out of tt2 to feed power amp and rca out to a powered sub. You need to set the level on sub once. After it is matched with speakers , the volume of speakers and sub will increase at the same rate as you change the volume of tt2. This imho is a great advantage of tt2. Also on sub you will need to set x cover control to match with speakers. I am using monitor audio rsw12 sub.

Oct 22, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #7,514 of 18,895
Thanks for the reply rkt31, but that is a little different than what I want to do. I want to use the amp in the TT2 only to drive my speakers. I could insert an amplifier, since I have an Anthem MCA 50, but I thought Ray-dude was doing it the way I asked about.

Oct 22, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #7,515 of 18,895
YET AGAIN you are confusing the use of Ethernet cables in LVDS protocol applications vs router applications. The statement you have quoted relates to the use of the Supra cable in an LVDS protocol application, and NOT as a router cable.
I would suggest you either read the article correctly, and/or study TCP/IP protocol, rather than misquoting articles to support your false premise that Cat8 cables are in any way superior to UTP Cat6 in networking applications for music.
What is LVDS protocol?
I never said i thought ethernet cables was better because of what cat they have. I think its down to what sheilding and other audiophile action they have done to
combat rfi/emi.

Like for exempel aq vodkas cat7 actions

"TheVodka utilizes what AudioQuest calls Noise-Dissipation System (NDS): Traditional shield systems typically absorb and then drain noise/RF energy to component ground, modulating and distorting the critical "reference" ground plane, which in turn causes a distortion of the signal. NDS's alternating layers of metal and carbon-loaded synthetics "shield the shield," absorbing and reflecting most of this noise/RF energy before it reaches the layer attached to ground"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back