Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #6,901 of 18,897
GreenBow
I already owned the special forty’s (grey) when they were first released,I had them right before the Sopra 1’s. Great speakers in their price range, but to be honest, I am looking for a little more.

Yeah that's why I said, (Under you budget and aspirations N Quarter, but stunning non-the-less.). Good luck.

I think it's possibly fair to say the Special Forty are the best standmount at the money. They won awards with everyone.

I bought the Special Forty for many reasons and one main reason. However I was giving a head-up to everyone else, that the Special Forty are 'going out of stock'.

EDITED next paragraph: Sorry, I thought were looking at the Contour 20, whereas you mentioned the Confidence 20.

If I were you, I might be tempted to wait for a few more reviews for your choices. The Titan has hands-down floored every review so far: Hifi choice and Hif+. The Confidence 20 is gorgeous and I only saw one review on it, on the Dynaudio website. Solid review though. (I also saw an advert for the Confidence 30, and was going to post for folk to look it up. It's just so gorgeous. Off topic though, so I never bothered.) … Whichever you buy, it will be amazing.

Bravo, well done, enjoy. A powerful amplifier is a good companion for these...

Thanks Hooster. Have to say I am stunned by them, and I have only just started with them. Am actually thinking about trying them driven directly from the TT2. I think I will always end up with an amplifier in the chain though.

They are not as sensitive as speakers, that folk are using straight off the TT2. However @miketlse is running speakers with the same sensitivity as the Special Forty, on his Hugo 2.

Anyway they have the same sensitivity and impedance as the Emit M10 speakers that I owned before. They are not massively bigger than the M10 either, so I should be good. That's possibly more down to using them in a smaller room though, and not using loud levels of music. Therefor I don't necessarily see them needing an amplifier with lots of power.​

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #6,902 of 18,897
I'm back down to about -20/-18 on the pm1's more comfortable like this. They are open back headphones. I have no intention of changing my name or avatar. Seems pointless to me. That previous pic was similar to the synthesizer Pink Floyd used on Dark Side of the Moon. Enjoying some smooth EDM today with Kaskade. My headphone sounds new. I will change my signature sorry got confused there.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #6,903 of 18,897
I'm back down to about -20/-18 on the pm1's more comfortable like this. They are open back headphones. I have no intention of changing my name or avatar. Seems pointless to me. That previous pic was similar to the synthesizer Pink Floyd used on Dark Side of the Moon. Enjoying some smooth EDM today with Kaskade. My headphone sounds new.
Just be careful with the volume, -18 is on the very high side. Spend 30 minute and get some decibel readings.

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #6,904 of 18,897
I think it also depends on recordings and their dynamic range and even time of day/mood. -18 is loud however.

Sep 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #6,905 of 18,897
1) For the 4th time. How can a sensitive headphone like the utopia at 104dBL which means it gets loud with very little power also play balanced? If it runs balanced therefore the amp must be supplying much greater power maybe up to 2 or even 3W than a single ended configuration. How is this possible from a technical perspective? The utopia therefore shares this characteristic with my PM1. I have no intention of buying an amp to use with my TT2. This is just a technical query. If it is something to do with scalability then i do not understand the mechanism at work here. Can anyone help?
Volume control makes it work. You only output the max watt att the highest volume setting.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #6,907 of 18,897
Is there any audible difference no matter how small with both TT2 and HMS lights dimmed? The reason i ask is that they are drawing slightly less power dimmed. Or is it purely for functionality depending on ambient environment?

Unrelated ((**We should have a competition to see who has the highest posts to likes ratio where a prize could be determined later?:ok_hand:))Maybe not.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #6,911 of 18,897
I think it also depends on recordings and their dynamic range and even time of day/mood. -18 is loud however.

Yeah, during the day time I can be at -25H volume, same songs played 1am and the volume is set at -45 to -50H

But be careful as TT2 has the power to fux yo hearing right up, if listening loud for to long.

I'm not playing the post to likes game, as 500 likes were stolen during my phuca to amberlamps transition.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #6,912 of 18,897
In an ideal world, yes. In reality the highest volume setting may be higher or lower than the max rated output, depending on a variety of factors.
Lets not overanalyze things now :)
I am reading some pages back and saw later you gave the same answer roughly. This thread moves to fast for me.

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #6,913 of 18,897
Does dimming lights have any effect on SQ with hms/tt2? Is the sound any darker?..ho ho. Seriously though this is a serious question as less power in must have some effect??? Maybe?

I just realised i'm still adjusting to the sound from H2 to TT2 mscaled. I overlooked this important point. TT2/HMS sounds more real to life, fuller, and when it's sweet it's sweet and when it's sour it's sour. When i say sour i mean the music is not artificially enhanced in any way whatsoever so if the song is meant to sound downbeat like a rainy Monday morning then it is. If it's a sunny beach then you get that too. This must be the darker, warmer more transparent presentation. Hugo 2 sounded constant and uniform irrespective of what type of genre was playing but not in a bad way if that makes sense. TT2 is way more "intelligent" and can really feel and adjust to what is playing. I think H2 lacked this capability.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #6,914 of 18,897
For anyone into EDM or who thinks they are not give this a try. Excellent. Bicep (Irish duo). Album name Bicep. Highly acclaimed electronic dance music.

(Like the way the volume is visible on TT2 from the bottom window without getting up).

upload_2019-9-14_1-3-47.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #6,915 of 18,897
I am surprised there are not more people using Chord Dac’s for two channel listening, with speakers. I realize this is a head-fi forum, meaning headphone use I would think. I hope my recent posts about driving regular speakers are not offending anyone, or breaking forum rules in any way. I just find way more pleasure kicking back on my sofa when listening to music, headphones are alright, but it does not take me long to get restless, sweaty, ready to get up and walk to the kitchen etc. when stuck in a chair with cans on my head. I did a google search for TT2 two channel, and nothing came up.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back