Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #6,916 of 18,907
Due to living arrangements speakers may not be practical for some of us including myself. Headphones equate to total freedom for me.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #6,917 of 18,907
Does dimming lights have any effect on SQ with hms/tt2? Is the sound any darker?..ho ho. Seriously though this is a serious question as less power in must have some effect??? Maybe?

I just realised i'm still adjusting to the sound from H2 to TT2 mscaled. I overlooked this important point. TT2/HMS sounds more real to life, fuller, and when it's sweet it's sweet and when it's sour it's sour. When i say sour i mean the music is not artificially enhanced in any way whatsoever so if the song is meant to sound downbeat like a rainy Monday morning then it is. If it's a sunny beach then you get that too. This must be the darker, warmer more transparent presentation. Hugo 2 sounded constant and uniform irrespective of what type of genre was playing but not in a bad way if that makes sense. TT2 is way more "intelligent" and can really feel and adjust to what is playing. I think H2 lacked this capability.

If it sounds darker to YOU, then it sounds darker. It does not really matter what anyone else thinks.

I like your discussion of the TT2 intelligence.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #6,919 of 18,907
I am surprised there are not more people using Chord Dac’s for two channel listening, with speakers. I realize this is a head-fi forum, meaning headphone use I would think. I hope my recent posts about driving regular speakers are not offending anyone, or breaking forum rules in any way. I just find way more pleasure kicking back on my sofa when listening to music, headphones are alright, but it does not take me long to get restless, sweaty, ready to get up and walk to the kitchen etc. when stuck in a chair with cans on my head. I did a google search for TT2 two channel, and nothing came up.

I know quite a few folks that have a Dave or tt2 in their 2 channel setup. There are alot of people that use the qutest too. I agree about speaker listening. I prefer to listen on my two channel setup but when it gets late I break out the abyss. I have been using the clears for.gaming though and it is pretty damn good.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #6,920 of 18,907
I know quite a few folks that have a Dave or tt2 in their 2 channel setup. There are alot of people that use the qutest too. I agree about speaker listening. I prefer to listen on my two channel setup but when it gets late I break out the abyss. I have been using the clears for.gaming though and it is pretty damn good.

Good to hear I am not alone, I guess headphones would work for gaming on a computer, but I usually go full surround for gaming, on my 65 inch plasma and Xbox. I don’t even use the TT2 for that. Headphones would have me a little too close to the screen.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #6,925 of 18,907
Are you sure, I though rob said the zero value was arbitrary.

Snap biatch

I simply meant -18dB with reference to 0dB as indicated on the TT2

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,926 of 18,907
Good to hear I am not alone, I guess headphones would work for gaming on a computer, but I usually go full surround for gaming, on my 65 inch plasma and Xbox. I don’t even use the TT2 for that. Headphones would have me a little too close to the screen.

I use an astro mixamp with my ps4 in the living room. That way I can get the 5.1 mix and still use a modmic too. The astro is not optimal to say the least but I don't think the sennheiser gaming amp works with ps4 to do virtual surround.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #6,927 of 18,907
Due to living arrangements speakers may not be practical for some of us including myself. Headphones equate to total freedom for me.

Sometimes headphones are to isolate you from your environment, i.e. 6 year old daughter, LOL

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #6,928 of 18,907
Sometimes headphones are to isolate you from your environment, i.e. 6 year old daughter, LOL
Imho speakers allow more freedom. A properly set transparent system is like a live performance in the room. The performance that you can enjoy from anywhere in your house,even when doing your routine work. That's what I am doing right now with tt2+HMS combo in my speaker system. Currently playing a brilliant recording Sheila Jordan , Harvie Swartz – Songs From Within

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #6,929 of 18,907
I don't see any harm in writing about speakers with the TT2, rather than headphones with this being Head-Fi.

We are mostly writing about the sensitivity compatibility of speakers, with TT2 driving them direct. Or talking about system matching, which is easy because the TT2 is neutral. Any balanced speakers will do. Bass light speakers will sound bass light etc.

Of course it's time I bought some proper full sized headphones, as I have I need to. Folk have discussed this with me sometimes. I go stuck choosing between the Stellia and Utopia. Then as always, wondered if I can't decide I should possibly go safe with the Clear. Then since some folk have possibly corrected my concerns about the HD800S, I can't really rule them out anymore. (HD800S would have to be auditioned though, as I would not buy those blind.)

Again, with the TT2 being so neutral, buying headphones will be fairly straight forward. I think I am stumbling over decision making because of cables though:

• I know if I bought the Stellia, I would be on the hunt for a less microphonic cable. I would also want a cable to be longer, as the Stellia only comes with a 1.2m single ended cable. Buying that cable would possibly be a minfield. I would not a warmer cable for sure. Plus I don't think I would want to change the Stellia signature too much brighter, meaning possibly no silver cables. Silver plated copper and no signature change. Good luck finding that GreenBow.
It's all getting a bit expensive too. I could be better off choosing the Empyrean, as it's easy to source a silver plated cable for that. Plus Currawong recommended a silver cable. Or easier just to buy the Focal Clear and then not be concerned about cable upgrade price.

Not disregarding the HD800S, but I can decide on that easily by audition. Whereas auditioning the Stellia and Utopia is a bit trickier.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #6,930 of 18,907
Imho speakers allow more freedom. A properly set transparent system is like a live performance in the room. The performance that you can enjoy from anywhere in your house,even when doing your routine work. That's what I am doing right now with tt2+HMS combo in my speaker system. Currently playing a brilliant recording Sheila Jordan , Harvie Swartz – Songs From Within

Yeah, speakers are good for not tethering you to a device. Some say speakers can be more expensive overall to get the same detail level. I suppose direct driving speakers with the TT2 helps with that compared to using an amplifier as well.

As an example. I remember What HiFi saying you'd need to spend thousands on speakers to get the detail from the Grado 325e. However I have to question that because the 325e are quite bright headphones. Bright headphones artificially bombard you with detail and leading edge, in my opinion.

The rule may be right generally though. I saw someone on the Stellia thread saying that headphones are the bargain of the audio industry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back