Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 12:53 AM Post #5,671 of 18,895
That would of been perfect for me, but it lacks a digital out connection, it only has analogue outputs and bluetooth and airplay, had it has toslink or usb or coax, it would of been perfect.

On the back on them, you can see a black square, looks similar to one of them plug things to keep dust out of a socket, I wonder if it does indeed have optical out built in, but not used at the moment ?

Cheers for the link, it's something like that, that I would like to replace the chromecast audio's with.

The manual says that is a ‘service jack’ so there goes your hopes of it being a future optical out.

72773111-89CD-4E73-8605-FFA45E86B9AE.jpeg

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #5,672 of 18,895
The manual says that is a ‘service jack’ so there goes your hopes of it being a future optical out.

Ah bummer, if it had a digital output that could of done 192khz, that would of been perfect, as I have gave up on google fixing the chromecast audio, they still have a place, but not connected to my mscaler. :frowning2:

Mind you, atleast at 44.1khz, I get the full 1 million paps upscaling. So I can't really complain.

Well I can, I only have 2 hands. :frowning2:

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #5,673 of 18,895
Ah bummer, if it had a digital output that could of done 192khz, that would of been perfect, as I have gave up on google fixing the chromecast audio, they still have a place, but not connected to my mscaler. :frowning2:
Mind you, atleast at 44.1khz, I get the full 1 million paps upscaling. So I can't really complain.
Well I can, I only have 2 hands. :frowning2:

I get 96kHz optical output from my Chromecast using it as a Roon endpoint (or Roon 'Output' as they like to call it now) with wifi connection to a router connected a Zenith as the Roon core in another room in the house. I personally do not have many files higher than 96k.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #5,674 of 18,895
As I have said before, I get 192kHz optical output from my Chromecast using it as a Roon endpoint (or Roon 'Output' as they like to call it now) with wifi connection to a router connected a Zenith as the Roon core in another room in the house.

You can't Nick, as Chromecast audio only goes upto 96khz.

Whats happening is, your selecting a 192khz song in roon, using the chromecast audio, but chances are extremely high that it's only 44.1khz that you are really getting.

Using it attached to the mscaler on its own, I bet if you tried to play anything greater than 48khz, it would freak out on you. It works perfect for me at 44.1 and 48khz, anything higher and 24bit and they flake out. The google forums are full of complaints, as supposedly a firmware update broke it last year.

Anyway, I was looking at the website after you posted the manual and I saw this.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/index.html

Streamer pre-amp with optical out, basically the same thing as the little thing above and only £250.

There is also an amplifier version, but it doesn't have optical out, just the preamp has it. £250 is worth it for a gamble I think.

I think I will buy it and see what it is like.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #5,675 of 18,895
Quite right, I was thinking of another device. It was too early in the morning for me. I will go back and edit my post lest someone takes that at face value.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #5,676 of 18,895
Quite right, I was thinking of another device. It was too early in the morning for me. I will go back and edit my post lest someone takes that at face value.

It's cool, it's too early in the morning for figuring things out, the heat doesn't help.

I liked the look of that bigger yamaha preamp streamer, but it seems that it has to be controlled by a yamaha only app. It has all the usual suspects included, qobuz, tidal spotify etc, but the app looks a mess.

If it would allow me to connect with qobuz app, bubble upnp, mconnect etc, I would buy it, but if it's got to be controlled by yamaha's app, then hmmm.

It does everything I want and more but, it does it via a dodgy looking app. :frowning2:

Why can't everyone just use the same standard so that we can use any app that we want to, ala poly, designed to be used with the apps we like, not the ones that companies force us to use.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #5,677 of 18,895
That would of been perfect for me, but it lacks a digital out connection, it only has analogue outputs and bluetooth and airplay, had it has toslink or usb or coax, it would of been perfect.

On the back on them, you can see a black square, looks similar to one of them plug things to keep dust out of a socket, I wonder if it does indeed have optical out built in, but not used at the moment ?

Cheers for the link, it's something like that, that I would like to replace the chromecast audio's with.
you have considered an android phone with usb audio player pro?

Jun 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #5,678 of 18,895
you have considered an android phone with usb audio player pro?

I'm open to any idea that works and doesn't cost me a fortune. I wonder if chord are making a streamer, as they seem to be lacking in that dept, and there is a whole lotta money to be made in the streamer market at the moment.

I can't wait for 2go to be released as that will allow me to use hugo 2, at the moment it's sitting doing absolutely nothing.

Cheers

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #5,679 of 18,895

Damn, I thought that black square on the back was a toslink out.

Jun 4, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #5,680 of 18,895
I'm open to any idea that works and doesn't cost me a fortune. I wonder if chord are making a streamer, as they seem to be lacking in that dept, and there is a whole lotta money to be made in the streamer market at the moment.

I can't wait for 2go to be released as that will allow me to use hugo 2, at the moment it's sitting doing absolutely nothing.

Cheers
well..usb audio player pro with mqa license costs around 10€ and it has bit perfect option. about android smartphone you need a device with otg. i use lg v30+ that it´s good with iem too

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #5,681 of 18,895
Could someone try the pairing Hugo TT2 ( with or without M scaler) with MySphere 3.2 ?

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #5,682 of 18,895
Damn, I thought that black square on the back was a toslink out.

well..usb audio player pro with mqa license costs around 10€ and it has bit perfect option. about android smartphone you need a device with otg. i use lg v30+ that it´s good with iem too

I'm looking at either this https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/ns-6170-132958.html which looks good because lots of different apps can connect to it, which is a massive tick in it's favour.

Or this one https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/cx/cxn-v2

Both have chromecast built in, and also airplay and most importantly digital out, the bottom one is £800, the onkyo is £600, they are more or less the same but the cambridge audio one has a proper screen instead of a one line display, but it's only to stream music so I dont really need a screen, will do some more reading to see which one gets the best reviews.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #5,683 of 18,895
I wonder if chord are making a streamer, as they seem to be lacking in that dept, and there is a whole lotta money to be made in the streamer market at the moment.

Would be an insta-buy for me. I don't actually need one right enough, but a nice Roon-Ready Chord streamer would just... match. It would bring balance.

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5,684 of 18,895
Any of you guys driving speakers direct from your TT2 also hooking up from the second outputs of the tt2 to an active sub or bi amping bass driver from TT2 .

I ask as I would like to try using my speakers (Bastanis Mandala 100 dB full rangers) with the TT2. The Bastanis Mandalas I have consist of two 12" full ranger drivers per channel which are augmented with a tweeter and 15" bass driver per channel.

I have both driven them from a single amp and separately bi-amping the 15" subs in the past which are set up to be easily connected separately for this.

I'm really a bit unsure how the higher output from the TT2 when configured in amp mode will effect (a) an active plate amp or (b) a separate amp when using both rca and xlr outs together compared to a normal line level out for this.

Hoping for a some guidance or thoughts on how this works in practice?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,685 of 18,895
I'm looking at either this https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/ns-6170-132958.html which looks good because lots of different apps can connect to it, which is a massive tick in it's favour.

Or this one https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/cx/cxn-v2

Both have chromecast built in, and also airplay and most importantly digital out, the bottom one is £800, the onkyo is £600, they are more or less the same but the cambridge audio one has a proper screen instead of a one line display, but it's only to stream music so I dont really need a screen, will do some more reading to see which one gets the best reviews.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before to you or someone else, but it was recommended on these forums as a high quality DAC-less streamer, and can be used with Roon or many other Apps. The SOtM SMS 200 ultra neo Network bridge (and cheaper non-ultra version).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back