Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #5,686 of 18,895
Any of you guys driving speakers direct from your TT2 also hooking up from the second outputs of the tt2 to an active sub or bi amping bass driver from TT2 .

I ask as I would like to try using my speakers (Bastanis Mandala 100 dB full rangers) with the TT2. The Bastanis Mandalas I have consist of two 12" full ranger drivers per channel which are augmented with a tweeter and 15" bass driver per channel.

I have both driven them from a single amp and separately bi-amping the 15" subs in the past which are set up to be easily connected separately for this.

I'm really a bit unsure how the higher output from the TT2 when configured in amp mode will effect (a) an active plate amp or (b) a separate amp when using both rca and xlr outs together compared to a normal line level out for this.

Hoping for a some guidance or thoughts on how this works in practice?

I’m using the XLR for Omega SAMs and the RCAs for an active sub. Works great, as the sub has the ability to adjust the input to match. But if I were driving passive woofers separately, I would probably use the XLRs wired SE so the output RCAs, if that is what the speakers are looking for. Or alternately, maybe the woofers need the higher output and the full range only the SE output. Experiment!

Jun 4, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #5,687 of 18,895
Any of you guys driving speakers direct from your TT2 also hooking up from the second outputs of the tt2 to an active sub or bi amping bass driver from TT2 .

I ask as I would like to try using my speakers (Bastanis Mandala 100 dB full rangers) with the TT2. The Bastanis Mandalas I have consist of two 12" full ranger drivers per channel which are augmented with a tweeter and 15" bass driver per channel.

I have both driven them from a single amp and separately bi-amping the 15" subs in the past which are set up to be easily connected separately for this.

I'm really a bit unsure how the higher output from the TT2 when configured in amp mode will effect (a) an active plate amp or (b) a separate amp when using both rca and xlr outs together compared to a normal line level out for this.

Hoping for a some guidance or thoughts on how this works in practice?

(Deleted - double post)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #5,688 of 18,895
I got a TT 2 today. I was running an mScaler into a Qutest and made the decision to just go end game and not tinker with different amps.

The TT2 and mScaler is a breath taking combo. It feels like Jerry Garcia is my room singing to me. Astonishing.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #5,689 of 18,895
Not sure if I’ve mentioned this before to you or someone else, but it was recommended on these forums as a high quality DAC-less streamer, and can be used with Roon or many other Apps. The SOtM SMS 200 ultra neo Network bridge (and cheaper non-ultra version).

Can the sotm work as a roon core ?

I want to replace my pc which has roon on it with something that can stream qobuz and tidal, and also be my roon core if possible.

Jun 5, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #5,690 of 18,895
Can the sotm work as a roon core ?

I want to replace my pc which has roon on it with something that can stream qobuz and tidal, and also be my roon core if possible.

Ah no sorry, just an end point, but high quality one, that would attach to a Chord DAC or scaler. Having Roon running on PC is my one negative while giving Roon a go. I thought of moving library to my NAS, but still have to remember to run Roon on PC. Fine in Winter, but my Chillblast PC is like a hairdryer when temperature above 22 degrees in house (returned soon after purchase for them to checkout, and told all fans working fine, obviously not a hot day!) Holding off from the Nucleus solution, while I decide if I actually ‘need’ Roon.

Before Chromecast Audio and Roon, I used an AK DAP using AK Connect App for iPad control into Hugo2, then into my Tag McLaren amp and speakers. This I feel had maybe better sound than CA, and certainly played 192 and 96 better! The negative being the loss of whole library rather than 400gb microSD worth.

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #5,691 of 18,895
Ah no sorry, just an end point, but high quality one, that would attach to a Chord DAC or scaler. Having Roon running on PC is my one negative while giving Roon a go. I thought of moving library to my NAS, but still have to remember to run Roon on PC. Fine in Winter, but my Chillblast PC is like a hairdryer when temperature above 22 degrees in house (returned soon after purchase for them to checkout, and told all fans working fine, obviously not a hot day!) Holding off from the Nucleus solution, while I decide if I actually ‘need’ Roon.

Before Chromecast Audio and Roon, I used an AK DAP using AK Connect App for iPad control into Hugo2, then into my Tag McLaren amp and speakers. This I feel had maybe better sound than CA, and certainly played 192 and 96 better! The negative being the loss of whole library rather than 400gb microSD worth.

Yeah, I hear ya with regards to your pc, mines is the same, in winter its ok to turn the fans down and make it near enough silent, but in summer time, it's far too noisy to have it on, especially in the spare room, as it gets the sun for 11 hours aday in summertime.

I've been wanting to migrate away from my pc to a totally silent device that can be left on 24/7/365 and a noiseless roon core would be nice, but I would easily settle for something that has chromecast, airplay, digital out at a minimum of 24/192, I would prefer 32/768 but thats not really a must. Aslong as I can stream qobuz, tidal and my own stuff thats on hard drives, I would settle for that, but no way am I going to pay thousands for one, as that really is taking the piss.

I dunno, it seems that unless I pay big bucks, I am left with diy solutions, and to be honest, I can't be arsed with all the hassle that entails, hence why I would rather have something that just works out of the box. I have an old x58 setup that is in pieces, I could rebuild it and stick roon on it and put it in a cupboard downstairs and either lay some cat 7 or get an ac wifi card, but the mere thought of having to piss about with that puts me right off, the days where building pc's and tweaking them was fun, are long gone.

Maybe a mac is the way to go ? argh I hate not knowing what to spend my money on :frowning2:

One thing that I know is a great buy, for sennheiser hd800/800S/820, a set of lambskin leather misodiko pads, they are the exact same size as the stock pads, excellent quality and they do not alter the sound. £36 from amazon, and they are one of the best buys I have had for a while.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #5,693 of 18,895
My imac late 2013 does optical out up to 96khz and i stream direct into mscaler at 44.1khz. What about a roon nucleus? A used macmini is cheap and a great option i think as a headless roon server??

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #5,694 of 18,895
Yeah, I hear ya with regards to your pc, mines is the same, in winter its ok to turn the fans down and make it near enough silent, but in summer time, it's far too noisy to have it on, especially in the spare room, as it gets the sun for 11 hours aday in summertime.

I've been wanting to migrate away from my pc to a totally silent device that can be left on 24/7/365 and a noiseless roon core would be nice, but I would easily settle for something that has chromecast, airplay, digital out at a minimum of 24/192, I would prefer 32/768 but thats not really a must. Aslong as I can stream qobuz, tidal and my own stuff thats on hard drives, I would settle for that, but no way am I going to pay thousands for one, as that really is taking the piss.

I dunno, it seems that unless I pay big bucks, I am left with diy solutions, and to be honest, I can't be arsed with all the hassle that entails, hence why I would rather have something that just works out of the box. I have an old x58 setup that is in pieces, I could rebuild it and stick roon on it and put it in a cupboard downstairs and either lay some cat 7 or get an ac wifi card, but the mere thought of having to piss about with that puts me right off, the days where building pc's and tweaking them was fun, are long gone.

Maybe a mac is the way to go ? argh I hate not knowing what to spend my money on :frowning2:

One thing that I know is a great buy, for sennheiser hd800/800S/820, a set of lambskin leather misodiko pads, they are the exact same size as the stock pads, excellent quality and they do not alter the sound. £36 from amazon, and they are one of the best buys I have had for a while.

Mac's (and PCs) other than just holding Roon core software, have so many variables on output/cabling/sampling that I like keeping computing well away from hifi/head-fi. Many streamers/all-in-ones don't have Roon. Is Roon mandatory for you? I feel the same, don't want to spend thousands for a Nucleus black box costing more than a nice PC.

But an outsider could question you, 'you spent 3.5k on an up-sampler, 4k on a DAC and yet you wont spend 2k to control or hold music'............

Jun 5, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #5,695 of 18,895
I do feel streamers are the scam of the moment. Overpriced gear which are nothing else than a streamed down computer.
Roon allowing people to build their own Nucleus is loudable, and clever since it will draw more people towards their software.
You can build your own nucleus for very cheap. A old NUC you can find second hand, really no need for a top of the line i7 8th generation, an akasa case, install ROCK and you're all set for less than 500$. Add an improved PSU if required, a USB reclocker/filter, and you should have something even better than an off the shelve Nucleus.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #5,696 of 18,895
Mac's (and PCs) other than just holding Roon core software, have so many variables on output/cabling/sampling that I like keeping computing well away from hifi/head-fi. Many streamers/all-in-ones don't have Roon. Is Roon mandatory for you? I feel the same, don't want to spend thousands for a Nucleus black box costing more than a nice PC.

But an outsider could question you, 'you spent 3.5k on an up-sampler, 4k on a DAC and yet you wont spend 2k to control or hold music'............

It's not that I "wont" spend 2k, it's that I dont have 2k to spend atm. If I did, I would be looking at more expensive options. Yeah Roon nuc's are not worth it, they are just mini and nano atx boards with an i3 - i7 cpu, not exactly £2500 worth. However, for simplicity it would be nice to have.

Roon is the goal I'm working to, as in the summer time I can't have my pc on for long as its noisy and hot.

I'm going to have to look harder into exactly what all is out there, I probably will end up going with a diy nuc, even though I have lost all interest in computers.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #5,697 of 18,895
My imac late 2013 does optical out up to 96khz and i stream direct into mscaler at 44.1khz. What about a roon nucleus? A used macmini is cheap and a great option i think as a headless roon server??

I am still a bit confused as far as optical connection is concerned with macs.
My oldish mbp laptops also have optical out ports that I suppose I could use with M Scaler but I don't have a cable long enough to do so. My mbps have two ports with a long pin on one end of the cable instead of the usual otical port that clicks into position which I use with my cd players But I was under the impression that once connected optically you can NOT bypass the internal dac of a mac?
How do you know that you are not getting the internal dac of your imac as well?

Or are you? And if so how do you know are you getting full 1 M upscaling with one more dac in the equation?

While I enjoy the SQ via one of my cd players m scaled via optical,the other one sounds only so so via optical connection and with some SACDs it actually sounds better via the SACD layer and rca cabling than via optical/rbcd and HMS.
Am I getting the internal dac of each cd player via optical connection as well ?
Is the only way to get the pure optical transmission of the bits only via a cd transport without a dac like the bargain BLU2?
Rips via USB sound better than optical via that cd player. But cds sound better than rips via the other.
Currently the best SQ I can get from my best cds is playing them via optical HMS/Qutest/BNC and the better cd player but I would like to be able to play rips via USB /laptop without any compromise too.
Would an Innous Zenith MK2 or similar be a ripping solution that would deliver the best of two worlds?
Any suggestions ?

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #5,698 of 18,895
My imac shows me that the sound output is selected to digital out optical. It would be a physical impossibility as a dac converts to analogue whereby i am getting a digital signal output via optical. If i wanted to utilise my imac's dac then i would plug headphones into the same port and in this case the internal dac/headphone amp would produce an analogue signal which i could hear via my headphones. My imac uses a cirrus logic chip for its spdif optical output. Also remember roon in exclusive mode effectively takes control of the computers' os/mixer and controls sample rate output to match the file playing. Optical is digital output and nothing else. Computer speakers/headphone out are analogue output and nothing else.

With optical out from my imac i am using the computers' cirrrus logic chip spdif out. I know i'm getting one million taps because apart from the white ball on the mscaler i get a dual coax cyan colour on the hugo 2 input ball and purple colour indicating a 705.6khz sample rate ie 16 times 44.1 upscaled. Under these given conditions anything other than 1M taps is an absolute impossibility as also confirmed b Rob. With dave/tt2 you get dual bnc digital readouts and i'm not sure about qutest but should be similar to hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #5,699 of 18,895
Got and offer of, my hugo 2 + £700 for a roon nucelus +

I'm don't use hugo 2, I haven't used it for months and its in mint condition. I could do that or buy a nuc, fanless heatsink case for £7-800 and stick roon rock on it.

I've never bought or seen a nuc before, but I spose it will just be a case of unscrewing it from one case, and screwing it into a fanless one.

I presume the cpu is soldered to the board ?

I'm not sure that a roon nuc + is worth h2+700, and h2 is soon to have 2go, argh. I would be great if roon rock worked on old playstation 3's, as that would be the perfect solution for my fat 60gig ps3. Looks nice, can plug in harddrives internally and via usb. I wonder if anyone has tried something like that, but with a ps4 since it's basically a pc, compared to a bespoke solution for the ps3.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #5,700 of 18,895
Got and offer of, my hugo 2 + £700 for a roon nucelus +

I'm don't use hugo 2, I haven't used it for months and its in mint condition. I could do that or buy a nuc, fanless heatsink case for £7-800 and stick roon rock on it.

I've never bought or seen a nuc before, but I spose it will just be a case of unscrewing it from one case, and screwing it into a fanless one.

I presume the cpu is soldered to the board ?

I'm not sure that a roon nuc + is worth h2+700, and h2 is soon to have 2go, argh. I would be great if roon rock worked on old playstation 3's, as that would be the perfect solution for my fat 60gig ps3. Looks nice, can plug in harddrives internally and via usb. I wonder if anyone has tried something like that, but with a ps4 since it's basically a pc, compared to a bespoke solution for the ps3.
I was looking at this post last night, and working out how much it would cost, to build such a top end server.
The parts added up to 1770 euros + the case, so diy chasing a TOTL server is not cheap, but you will gain far more experimental knowledge about how to optimise your system, than many of the posters on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back