Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 23, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #4,651 of 18,905
+ 12? Are you deaf or do you plan on going deaf?

Hi, i've talk with Rob Watts and he suggested to me to try taking the Chord out of DAC mode before plugging in the HP and see if that fixes the issue. Now all work fine the headphone output level is changed. Now i have more power but with volume level lower and no distorsion. (before +12H now -5H)

Feb 23, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #4,652 of 18,905
Just got TT2 in house, so trying different things in a bit if a frenzy after such a long wait, but here some initial, very early, impressions.

Speakers - driving Omega SAMs from XLRs sound great, plenary of power, transparency, and bass. In a small room or for near field listening, I don’t think I’d need a sub of any sort.

HE-6 - from the XLRs, with an adapter, there is absolutely plenty of power and control. The TT2 has no issues driving them this way, with what Rob said would be 6W into their impedance. I was surprised when I switched to the front panel HP out (different adapter), because at the same setting (0 dB +/- 4 depending on track) the loudness seemed equivalent, but the tonality was way different. I might say a bit more transparency SE, but that’s probably only because the bass was so much less full than balanced. Almost like the tonality difference between Mojo and H2. I much preferred balanced for HE-6. I might change my opinion in time, but Right now I would say I prefer Mojo/Liquid Carbon to SE TT2 with HE-6.

Focal Elex - much less of the above effect when switching between SE and balanced. I used both the SE cable and the balanced cable with an adapter from th HP jack compared to the XLR cable with adapter from the XLRs. Here, the difference was minor and could be characterized as more transparent. The Elex certainly don’t need th power from th balanced out.

If you like Mojo, you will love TT2. It’s just more and better of everything The mighty Mojo has to offer. Yeah, it’s 10x the price, roughly, but technically it’s also 3x the taps, 2.5x the elements, at least 20x the power. Very versatile...but not mobile.

Super great info thanks for the feed back

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4,654 of 18,905
1550932719508266061080.jpg
Those who just got their units is this an optical illusion or is the 3.5mm plug deeper?

Out of town have TT2 will travel. Pictures online mainly of silver and it doesn't look that deep...?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #4,655 of 18,905
Those who just got their units is this an optical illusion or is the 3.5mm plug deeper?

Out of town have TT2 will travel. Pictures online mainly of silver and it doesn't look that deep...?

It does seem deeper. Probably to accommodate the difference in size of plugs, while they likely do line up on the PCB. It is a nice feature that the channel is there for angled 3.5 plug configuration.

Feb 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,656 of 18,905
Feb 23, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #4,657 of 18,905
It does seem deeper. Probably to accommodate the difference in size of plugs, while they likely do line up on the PCB. It is a nice feature that the channel is there for angled 3.5 plug configuration.

Mmm, maybe that was the delay?

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #4,658 of 18,905

I had problems with that port, I plugged in a L shaped 3.5mm plug and getting it out was a nightmare.

Also, 3.5mm adapters, if you use one and then pull the cable and the cable comes out of the adapter, but leaving the adapter stuck inside the 3.5mm port, have fun trying to get that out.

I was looking at the original TT, you would of thought that Chord would of realised their mistake and amended it for TT2. I have no idea who designed the case and the 3.5mm port, but they need a kick in the nuts for making it back assward.

It’s only good for straight Jacks, but in this day and age, it’s bad to presume that Jack is straight, for all we know, he could be Bi, Gay or a Tranny ?

Choo Choo

#Notmetoo.

Listening to Roger Waters “Pro’s and Con’s of Hitch Hiking”.

PC - MScaler 1 million taps - Wave Stream cables - TT2 - HD800S.

Also been trying iBasso iT01S, my new iem’s and, I have also been trying another pair, my newish TFZ King Pro on the MScaler and TT2 combo.

I use a Tripp Lite lifetime warranty, 3.5mm female to male 2 metre extension. I plug my iem’s into the extension and the extension in to TT2’s 3.5mm, at night time even at -68 it’s still loud for that time, so if anyone is using iem’s, make sure your volume is set to a minimum of -50 with hi gain enabled.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #4,659 of 18,905
If there's anyone wondering if the Abyss 1266 Phi and Hugo TT2 are a good match, the answer is YES. I'm driving them out from the balanced XLR outs and they have more than enough power and oomph. The stunning clarity and transparency of this combination is magical.

Even the single ended is powerful enough and I also don't detect any noticeable difference in transparency between the balanced out and single ended.

Hi can you show wich kind of adaptor you have used ? Thanks :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #4,661 of 18,905
I also think Lo G is better but not always, alot my my tracks that were on the verge of being decimated by Hugo have now been decimated my mscaler and tt2, no doubt it’s bad recordings.

Sometimes at low g, some detail seems to be low on volume, slightly muffled, I move it over to Hi G and those details become louder and more upfront than they were before.

However, on the bad side of Hi G, some tracks can now be too screetchy, it’s like too much treble, but go back to lo G and it’s ok.

It seems to be a problem with certains tracks, some prefer Lo G, others prefer Hi G. It’s times like this that I wish the remote had a G button on it.

I also think qobuz is not the best interface ever, it’s crap, glitchy, at times slow to load songs etc. Once we get qobuz intergrated into Roon I’m off to Roon as I can!t stand qobuz’s interface.

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #4,663 of 18,905

I’ll have to look at mine. I haven’t used the 3.5mm plug yet. It does look deep in your picture. Are you having trouble getting the plug inserted?

Feb 23, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,664 of 18,905
Amberlamps has your stance changed on Low-G and High-G for the 800S?

High Gain is what I have the HD800S on, some songs you can clearly hear the difference it makes, other track not so much but I and a couple others have come to the conclusion that High Gain is the best mode for our exact same setup.

As for iem’s, if I could of been bothered, I would of changed to low gain, but that means getting up and walking the 2 metres to TT2, so I could chamge it.

Anyone who wants to use iem’s, if in High Gain mode, double check that the volume is ateast -50 or higher before plugging your iems into your ears. I would suggest -60, as the power that comes out of TT2 is nuts, especially with the mscaler attached, I think it goes upto +22 if I recall, but the MScaler has to be connected to get that high.

The only thing that would make me change back to lo gain now is iem’s, as those on high gain, it’s scary how low the volume is - wise and the actual volume in your ears is still decent.

I would rather have it set at Low gain, as Rob told me a good setting for Lo gain that would not kill my hearing.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #4,665 of 18,905
I’ll have to look at mine. I haven’t used the 3.5mm plug yet. It does look deep in your picture. Are you having trouble getting the plug inserted?

Actually no, I'm just admiring every angle and noticed it looked different in person than all the photos online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back