1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
Next

Last
  1. mlavin
    I greatly enjoy reading about everyone’s thoughts and experiences! I wish I could have made the last event, but are the talks Mr. Watts gave available to view? Thank you and keep the discussions going!

2. Triode User
    This talk was late last year at Nintronics who are Chord dealers in the UK. The videos were taken by Terry at the review site Pursuit Perfect System and are split into two videos of the same talk.

Part One.

Part Two.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  3. Christer
    Yes indeed a very good read indeed!
    A model of how a review should be done in many ways.
    He comes to basically the same conclusions I have come to from lots of comparative auditions,ie, TT2 is very good on its own but the transformational jump with all 4 Chord Dacs that can be connected to it is the inclusion of an M Scaler.
    Imho it is not optional it is necessary, absolutely necessary.
    I chose to still use my Qutest in combination with an M Scaler partly because to me as I use it, that combo sounds better than a TT2 on its own.
    Price when we are talking Chord is of course another issue not to be ignored.
    Besides like him I also have quite a few really good headphone amps to choose between already.
    The headphone section of TT2 is top notch. But it is not the only top notch headphone amp.

M Scaler on the other hand, is probably unique.

But I also know that as far as Rob's tech is concerned the absolutley most transparent and ultimately best is still DAVE /MScaler or DAVE/BLU2 .
    Interesting too to read that he found that LPS power supplies can increase SQ even further.

Personally I know for sure that at least here in Asia where wall power is often varying in quality, the battery powered supply I am using with Qutest made a clear change for the better.
    His finding improvements at the 15 V setting with his Paul Hynes SR7 similar to the ones I hear with my Qutest on battery over supplied PSU makes me curious to try it as well.

I would not at all be surprised if as he says in his excellent review,the same applies for the M Scaler too. On the contrary it is something I almost expect.
    Cheers Controversial Christer

CRITICALSHOT likes this.
  4. musicday
    His written review makes me want even more a TT2 :)

Deftone likes this.
  5. alota
    this year i start to join money for tt2. probabby when i´ll have the money, the tt3 is in the market but who cares:ksc75smile:

6. dawktah2
    Quick question: Is or has anyone used just their phone into the TT 2? I was using it all last night and I noticed that my phones power was being drained faster than normal so much so that once I placed it on the wireless charger the power level remained at 31%. Ultimately it will be connected directly to my Synology NAS so not a real concern.

A quick impression, I wasn't really sure what "transparent" referred to until last night.

It is T R A N S P A R E N T

CClose likes this.
  7. Rob Watts
    TT2 and the M scaler are galvanically isolated on the USB - this means the source's ground and the USB decoder is isolated from the M scaler and TT2 ground plane - this reduces RF noise and correlated noise from degrading transparency and refinement. The downside is that the USB decoder and isolator will draw power via the USB VBUS 5v, so you will draw about 250 mW from the source. I can't say I have noticed bigger battery drain on my mobile phone when using the M scaler - but on the average mobile I estimate you would drain it about 15% faster. Playing music is quite resource intensive for a phone, I use it in battery saving mode and ensure the display is off. With a fully charged mobile I can play music for at least 8 hours with M scaler attached.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    GreenBow, Tao8, andrewd01 and 3 others like this.
  8. dawktah2
    Thank you so much for the personal reply. Keeping that in mind I will pick up a DAP so there aren't any other processes going in the background. I'm planning on using when I travel in flight and in hotel. Challenge of finding one with separate charging and output ports. My phone does transmit interference.

9. ZappaMan
    @Rob Watts sorry but can the tt2 drive balanced headphones directly, or only drive a balanced amp thAt then feeds the balanced headphones?

10. JaZZ Contributor
    All headphones are balanced, you just need to reterminate the cable if it comes with a 3-pole plug. So the answer is yes. Apart from that, the single-ended output may still sound slightly better.

11. x RELIC x Contributor
    If you mean from the balanced outputs of the TT2 the answer is yes, as has been repeatedly explained in the thread by Rob already. The DAVE, no.

12. ZappaMan
    Wonder if my hd800s balanced cable just works or not ... can check later...
    whazzup confused me tho as he was saying you need a balanced amp.
    I admit/apologise to not keeping the full state of thread knowledge in memory at all times.

13. x RELIC x Contributor
    Does your HD800 have seperate L/R 3pin XLR balanced connectors? If no, then you need an adaptor.

A quick search is your friend. :)

My apologies if I came across as short.

14. ZappaMan
    Not at all - I’m only joking - yes I need the connector. Thanks.

15. jarnopp
    Just got TT2 in house, so trying different things in a bit if a frenzy after such a long wait, but here some initial, very early, impressions.

Speakers - driving Omega SAMs from XLRs sound great, plenary of power, transparency, and bass. In a small room or for near field listening, I don’t think I’d need a sub of any sort.

HE-6 - from the XLRs, with an adapter, there is absolutely plenty of power and control. The TT2 has no issues driving them this way, with what Rob said would be 6W into their impedance. I was surprised when I switched to the front panel HP out (different adapter), because at the same setting (0 dB +/- 4 depending on track) the loudness seemed equivalent, but the tonality was way different. I might say a bit more transparency SE, but that’s probably only because the bass was so much less full than balanced. Almost like the tonality difference between Mojo and H2. I much preferred balanced for HE-6. I might change my opinion in time, but Right now I would say I prefer Mojo/Liquid Carbon to SE TT2 with HE-6.

Focal Elex - much less of the above effect when switching between SE and balanced. I used both the SE cable and the balanced cable with an adapter from th HP jack compared to the XLR cable with adapter from the XLRs. Here, the difference was minor and could be characterized as more transparent. The Elex certainly don’t need th power from th balanced out.

If you like Mojo, you will love TT2. It’s just more and better of everything The mighty Mojo has to offer. Yeah, it’s 10x the price, roughly, but technically it’s also 3x the taps, 2.5x the elements, at least 20x the power. Very versatile...but not mobile.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Deftone, JamieMcC, TKpurple and 2 others like this.
First

Back
300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309
311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320
Next

Last