Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 4, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #3,841 of 18,907
I managed a good listening volume with 0.5W. I know that you have posted about liking your music loud, but a TT2 with 7W single ended, will give you 14 times the power that I was using.
Please try single ended first, and see how you get on.
:slight_smile:

Apologies if you know this, but all other things being equal, 10 Watts is only double loudness of 1 watt, 100 watts double 10 watts.

Jan 4, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #3,842 of 18,907
How do you figure out what db you are listening at ?

Ok, TT2 does show you the - and + db, but it doesn’t show as high as - or + 86db, so how do you get to that number ?

Cheers
The +86 dB figure refers to the senstivity of the speaker. This quote and link taken from Google probably best explains how this is arrived at.

Sensitivity
. This is a measure of how loud the speaker will sound for a given electrical input level. It quotes the sound pressure level (spl) in decibels (dB) at a distance of 1 metre for a given voltage input (2.83V) Now, 2.83V may seem an odd level, but it equates to 1 watt into a load of 8Ω
B&W Group North America Service & Support - Frequently Asked ...

bwgroupsupport.com/faqs/bw

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,847 of 18,907
How do you figure out what db you are listening at ?

You use a SPL meter and place it at the ear cup of the headphone, or at the listening position when listening to speakers. It’s best to use an actual SPL meter but there are apps for smartphones that use the mic to measure SPL. While not the most accurate it does get you in the ballpark.

Also, if you cover the ear cup of the headphone you will get a slightly louder reading. In the pic below I cut out a slot in some foam for the phone’s mic to poke through while sealing off the ear cup.

270943E8-22A1-4C36-A2C6-A6B7F1D4BBBC.jpeg

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #3,848 of 18,907
You use a SPL meter and place it at the ear cup of the headphone, or at the listening position when listening to speakers. It’s best to use an actual SPL meter but there are apps for smartphones that use the mic to measure SPL. While not the most accurate it does get you in the ballpark.

Also, if you cover the ear cup of the headphone you will get a slightly louder reading. In the pic below I cut out a slot in some foam for the phone’s mic to poke through while sealing off the ear cup.

Cool, are those things expensive and do you think it’s something that amazon would stock ? if they are not hundreds of pounds, I would like to buy one of them so I can test my headphones and listening volume.

As I see my volume creeping up louder and louder on tt2, but I’m not sure if thats just because of the dynamic range of some tracks being much less than others, some tracks sound loud at -35, whilst others on tt2 sound loud at -15

Cheers :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #3,849 of 18,907
Cool, are those things expensive and do you think it’s something that amazon would stock ? if they are not hundreds of pounds, I would like to buy one of them so I can test my headphones and listening volume.

As I see my volume creeping up louder and louder on tt2, but I’m not sure if thats just because of the dynamic range of some tracks being much less than others, some tracks sound loud at -35, whilst others on tt2 sound loud at -15

Do you have an iPhone or similar? You could just download a sound pressure level reader app for your phone. Not as accurate as a proper dedicated SPL meter, but it would let you get going right now :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #3,850 of 18,907

I’m the same - the ears have taken a beating lately.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3,851 of 18,907
The original Hugo TT came with a 5 year warranty, the new TT 2 only comes with a 3 year warranty. Dissapointing to say the least. Any reason for the reduced warranty?

Maybe due to the super caps, constant charging and discharging, it is just like a battery, the electrolyte inside will eventually dry up, possibly faster than the batteries in TT.

Also heat, if you stack hms and tt2 and also ttoby, things will die faster than they would if not stacked one on top of each other.

But the good news is, even though Chord say 3 years warranty, item’s like this are covered by a european and UK law of 6 years warranty, once we leave the eu, england retains the 6 year warranty and scotland gets 5 years, so they are still covered.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #3,852 of 18,907
Do you have an iPhone or similar? You could just download a sound pressure level reader app for your phone. Not as accurate as a proper dedicated SPL meter, but it would let you get going right now :)

Indeed I do, I think I already have one, itks an app with lots of tools, I forgot all about them and I didn’t think about them when I saw relics post.

Cheers.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #3,853 of 18,907

They aren’t too expensive but can be for the very accurate ones. Here’s a search result for amazon uk for SPL meter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/sound-level-meter/3zpznpr6qv3656x

You should read up on A weighted C weighted, etc., and try to get one that’s sensitive down to 0.5dB if using it to compare different gear. Humans don’t reliably report a difference in loudness at 0.5dB difference (or even 1dB difference) in loudness but do report a difference in dynamics and clarity at such small differences. That’s why it’s crucial to volume match when comparing gear.

Of course, if not using it to compare gear and volume matching between them then a smartphone app will be good enough to figure out your listening level ballpark.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #3,854 of 18,907
Maybe due to the super caps, constant charging and discharging, it is just like a battery, the electrolyte inside will eventually dry up, possibly faster than the batteries in TT.

Also heat, if you stack hms and tt2 and also ttoby, things will die faster than they would if not stacked one on top of each other.

But the good news is, even though Chord say 3 years warranty, item’s like this are covered by a european and UK law of 6 years warranty, once we leave the eu, england retains the 6 year warranty and scotland gets 5 years, so they are still covered.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-177#post-14599804
22 years should be enough for most owners, before they consider upgrading to the TT3.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #3,855 of 18,907
They aren’t too expensive but can be for the very accurate ones. Here’s a search result for amazon uk for SPL meter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/sound-level-meter/3zpznpr6qv3656x

You should read up on A weighted C weighted, etc., and try to get one that’s sensitive down to 0.5dB if using it to compare different gear. Humans don’t reliably report a difference in loudness at 0.5dB difference (or even 1dB difference) in loudness but do report a difference in dynamics and clarity at such small differences. That’s why it’s crucial to volume match when comparing gear.

Of course, if not using it to compare gear and volume matching between them then a smartphone app will be good enough to figure out your listening level ballpark.

Cheers Relic, I saw your amazon link and they are cheap, I will read up on A-C weighted and try and get one with the specs you listed, 0.5db.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back