Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #2,641 of 18,905
I enjoy electronica, prog rock and other good music.

Shhh... dont tell Christer :wink:

giphy.gif

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #2,643 of 18,905
Just in the faint chance that somebody does not understand that Paul is joking, I have never used Krell...

Yes pass-thru means it will follow the input sample rate, so if you are playing 44.1 then 44.1 will be the OP, and Hugo 2 will then go red.
I'm sorry I should of said joke afterwards.Have I got this wrong as jazz mentioned using the rca outputs on the rear to drive the speakers, don't know why I was thinking using the headphone sockets for 7w and 18 w from the balanced, so will the rca outputs be 7w or 18W? I know I should know this but can't remember the rca outputs being mentioned

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,645 of 18,905
Question for you Rob. I heard somewhere that supercaps wont last forever... I mean how long supercaps can last on Hugo tt2?

Yes I read somewhere about this, and decided to look into it with the super caps I use. It turned out that the with the operating temperature, current and applied voltage the life for a 30% reduction in capacitance (which would have negligible SQ impact) was 200,000 hours (22 years continuous). For halving of capacitance it's 1,000,000 hours... So it's a non issue, as the temperature is very low, and voltage is kept well below the rated value.

I'm sorry I should of said joke afterwards.Have I got this wrong as jazz mentioned using the rca outputs on the rear to drive the speakers, don't know why I was thinking using the headphone sockets for 7w and 18 w from the balanced, so will the rca outputs be 7w or 18W? I know I should know this but can't remember the rca outputs being mentioned

Headphone sockets and RCA is 7W/8 - you need the XLR for the balanced 18W/8.

Nov 15, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #2,646 of 18,905
Yes I read somewhere about this, and decided to look into it with the super caps I use. It turned out that the with the operating temperature, current and applied voltage the life for a 30% reduction in capacitance (which would have negligible SQ impact) was 200,000 hours (22 years continuous). For halving of capacitance it's 1,000,000 hours... So it's a non issue, as the temperature is very low, and voltage is kept well below the rated value.

Oh wow thank you sir, i was hoping to hear something like that, but this exceed my expectations. I realy like that you guys ditched the battery for longevity. Nothing but respect.

Nov 15, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #2,647 of 18,905
308CC326-5CB5-4D38-B2DC-D5FE9D38C637.jpeg So, if I wanted to connect my speakers via rca, would I do that on the 6.5mm ports on the front or are there also other stereo rca ports on the back?

From chord site.
Connectivity (output): Stereo XLR, Stereo RCA, 2x 6.5mm Headphone jack & 1x 3.5mm Headphone jack

Hard to see on the tiny picture they have.
I know rob says he uses the front headphone ports to drive his speaker - that must mean they are not rca terminated.

Just rambling as I know nothing about it but would need to know what to ask the speaker wire shop guy to do to my cables !

Easier to see now in the image, but why is rob powering speakers via a 6.5mm jack rather than rca ? Maybe because he can plug his speakers into hugo2 or mojos headphone out sockets ?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #2,648 of 18,905

That's great thanks Rob

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #2,649 of 18,905
I'm sitting in airport watching news about Theresa May and Brexit. GBP is falling. I wonder how if at all Bluebird is going to adjust price for TT 2? Burying in UK might be back on table if this trend continues. We're rapidly approaching $1,000 difference!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,651 of 18,905
Would it be a simple and effective thing to solder speaker wire into RCA connectors? E.g. WBT-0102Ag

I doubt that you need anything as exotic as that. Also you have to think that a plug like that is not always designed for current carrying and you might be better off with something simpler, more robust and better built to carry speaker currents. But yes, if you are experienced with a soldering iron then it should be a simple job.

Nov 15, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #2,652 of 18,905
I doubt that you need anything as exotic as that. Also you have to think that a plug like that is not always designed for current carrying and you might be better off with something simpler, more robust and better built to carry speaker currents. But yes, if you are experienced with a soldering iron then it should be a simple job.

That was indeed my concern, the current capability. Since I plan to drive speakers directly with the Hugo TT 2.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,654 of 18,905
So, if I wanted to connect my speakers via rca, would I do that on the 6.5mm ports on the front or are there also other stereo rca ports on the back?

From chord site.
Connectivity (output): Stereo XLR, Stereo RCA, 2x 6.5mm Headphone jack & 1x 3.5mm Headphone jack

Hard to see on the tiny picture they have.
I know rob says he uses the front headphone ports to drive his speaker - that must mean they are not rca terminated.
Just rambling as I know nothing about it but would need to know what to ask the speaker wire shop guy to do to my cables !

Easier to see now in the image, but why is rob powering speakers via a 6.5mm jack rather than rca ? Maybe because he can plug his speakers into hugo2 or mojos headphone out sockets ?

PM.sent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back