Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 18, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,731 of 18,886
Hi, for all you happy TT2 owners, if you happen to have experience with Schiit Yggdrasil, in your opinion, how do they compare? Price wise TT2 is more than twice that of Yggdrasil, but Yggdrasil needs an AMP, and is a lot less mobile, needs lots of burn-in and has to stay on to keep the good sound ready always.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #2,732 of 18,886
Is there a setting to adjust the left/right balance for the headphone output on the TT2?

No balance control; you used to need balance because the volume controls were always out of balance, so it was needed to correct for that. Digital volume has identical gain, so balance is no longer needed. Or is there a particular reason why you need a balance?

At the risk of making Paul throw up, I have to say that I too find the HMS effect very subtle. For me, there is absolutely nothing “in your face” about it. I can tell you that I find this really disappointing and frustrating! The TT2 sounds great with my LCD-4s but in all honesty I could easily live without HMS. I don’t know, could it be that there’s something wrong with mine, or is it just my getting-on-a-bit ears that are past their prime? I’m not sure how to find out....

If TT2 is indicating 705 or 768 then its fine - it's actually impossible for it not to work correctly. Make sure you have not set video mode on...

There have been one or two occasions when M scaler is not a huge difference in SQ - when I have used it with not very transparent amps and speakers. But this won't apply at all with TT2 driving the LCD-4s. I would relax and listen to music for a week, so your brain can get used to the different way that music is reproduced. Then try running it for a day with the M scaler in pass thru mode only... Then I am sure you will appreciate it fully.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #2,733 of 18,886
If TT2 is indicating 705 or 768 then its fine - it's actually impossible for it not to work correctly. Make sure you have not set video mode on...

There have been one or two occasions when M scaler is not a huge difference in SQ - when I have used it with not very transparent amps and speakers. But this won't apply at all with TT2 driving the LCD-4s. I would relax and listen to music for a week, so your brain can get used to the different way that music is reproduced. Then try running it for a day with the M scaler in pass thru mode only... Then I am sure you will appreciate it fully.
Thanks for your reply, Rob. TT2 is showing 705 or 768 and video mode light is off. I’ve been using M Scaler with TT2 for more than 2 weeks now, and with Hugo 2 for a few weeks before that. Only occasionally do I flip to pass through, to see if I can detect the differences. I’ll do as you suggest and try a day now in passthrough, then go back to 705/768 tomorrow and see if I notice the difference.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2,734 of 18,886
To me this is one of the best explanations of comparison between Mojo and Hugo 2. (Except I never found Mojo mid-centric. I find Mojo bass maybe fractionally boomy only rarely compared with Hugo 2 bass, which is firmer. However that may have been partnering equipment.)

Correction to this post that I wrote earlier and hope not to put anyone off the Mojo. I effectively wrote that I had on occasion heard a little boomy-ness with Mojo. After rethinking I can not be sure it was the Mojo. It may have been partnering kit. Also I had read other folk reporting a slight boomy-ness with Mojo, and I guess I got carried along with that. (Feel a fool now.) I honestly can not be sure. In general I found the Mojo bass exceptional, and tight as a drum. However I clearly remember a slight boomy-ness once or twice. Not sure why, or if it was my partnering kit. Or that my speakers are on foam on a desk. It would not be unreasonable to find the Hugo 2 bass more accurate and solid though. Anyway previous post corrected.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #2,735 of 18,886
As stated before, maybe on HMS thread received TT2 this week together with HMS. Spent a little time with TT2 and found it to be a little disappointing compared to what I had expected in terms of my H2. I then connected the HMS, blown away, love it.

At the risk of making Paul throw up, I have to say that I too find the HMS effect very subtle. For me, there is absolutely nothing “in your face” about it. I can tell you that I find this really disappointing and frustrating! The TT2 sounds great with my LCD-4s but in all honesty I could easily live without HMS. I don’t know, could it be that there’s something wrong with mine, or is it just my getting-on-a-bit ears that are past their prime? I’m not sure how to find out....

No balance control; you used to need balance because the volume controls were always out of balance, so it was needed to correct for that. Digital volume has identical gain, so balance is no longer needed. Or is there a particular reason why you need a balance?

I've had my TT2 for over a month now and the M-Scaler since early November. In that time I went from using a Focal Clear, and got myself the Utopia. My impressions are the opposite to aldavey

1. Through the Clear, the TT2 in terms of SQ was leaps and bounds an improvement over my Schiit Gungnir MB / Jot stack; I actually haven't heard anything like it, being my first Chord product - it was just so fast, accurate, organic and natural sounding, tonally rich with incredible bass reproduction - very good paired with my Clear and also my HD650. I definitely liked it more than the iFi Pro iDSD / pro iCAN combo.

2. When I got my M-scaler, initially, I did not seem to hear that much of an "in your face" or "blown away" change to the SQ even when A/Bing; a little smoother, a little refined, bass was better yes, but whatever, I left it on full 1M taps from then on.

3. I got my Focal Utopias only a week ago, and have been goggling like a toddler staring at ice cream every time I hear it. The Chord stack was able to drive the Utopias like they SHOULD BE DRIVEN. This is a device that will give Beryllium a work out in whatever you listened to. From Above and Beyond, to Dream Theatre (Black Clouds & Silver Linings), to the Nat Bartsh Trio (Springs, For All The Winters), Burn the Witch by Radiohead, female vocals (The Corrs or Dido for example) and even all my Rap and R&B were all phenomenal.

4. A couple of days ago I decided to whack the M-Scaler into pass-through, my reaction was "what the *quack* "... I realise how well the M-Scaler tightens up the transient accuracy of the music and when you've got Utopias you can hear it.

Robs right, it does take a while to adjust to, but for the price of the M-Scaler I would prioritise a really really good headphone.

EDIT: By the way, I am quite young, @ 27 so I would like to think I don't have old ears.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #2,736 of 18,886
Hi Tony,

Any impressions of PM1/TT2/HMS? Were any changes more noticeable with HMS swapping LCD-4 for PM1? Cheers mk

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #2,737 of 18,886
Headphone sockets and RCA is 7W/8 - you need the XLR for the balanced 18W/8.

Can you run RCA -> Full Range Speakers @ 7W and XLR -> Woofer @ 18W at the same time? I skimmed the DAVE thread and I think I read it's dual output. Just a lowly Hugo2 user and not up2date on the Chord Summit-Fi side.

Something like RCA -> Voxativ AC-PiFe Full Range (Sensitivity: 94 to 100db), then XLR -> xover -> OB-A15Neo Woofers (Sensitivity: 94 to 96db)

https://voxativnewsitedemo.squarespace.com/products/acpife

http://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/15inch-open-baffle-bass-woofers/

Thank you!!!

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #2,739 of 18,886
Can you run RCA -> Full Range Speakers @ 7W and XLR -> Woofer @ 18W at the same time? I skimmed the DAVE thread and I think I read it's dual output. Just a lowly Hugo2 user and not up2date on the Chord Summit-Fi side.

Something like RCA -> Voxativ AC-PiFe Full Range (Sensitivity: 94 to 100db), then XLR -> xover -> OB-A15Neo Woofers (Sensitivity: 94 to 96db)

Thank you!!!

Not exactly your config, but I use my Dave RCA outputs to drive my Voxativ 9.87s with the 4D driver (100+ sensitivity) and my Dave XLR outputs to drive two powered Pi bass units

The caveat is that the bass units are powered with a beefy class AB power amp, and have adjustable gain and crossover to blend in with the main units. You’ll need some sort of gain adjustment to get the right mixing between the drivers in your room.

My Pi bass units really benefit from the big amp as well, but they are a pretty unique dipole config. I haven’t played with the open baffle setups, but they look pretty cool!

As an aside, my lowly Hugo2 drives this setup quite well...always shocking to see that little box drive that kind of room filling presence.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #2,740 of 18,886
Not exactly your config, but I use my Dave RCA outputs to drive my Voxativ 9.87s with the 4D driver (100+ sensitivity) and my Dave XLR outputs to drive two powered Pi bass units

The caveat is that the bass units are powered with a beefy class AB power amp, and have adjustable gain and crossover to blend in with the main units. You’ll need some sort of gain adjustment to get the right mixing between the drivers in your room.

My Pi bass units really benefit from the big amp as well, but they are a pretty unique dipole config. I haven’t played with the open baffle setups, but they look pretty cool!

As an aside, my lowly Hugo2 drives this setup quite well...always shocking to see that little box drive that kind of room filling presence.

Thanks Dude. Your one on my main inspirations to pursue this route. I'm looking more into a near mid field lightweight DIY solution to start, but your Voxativ 9.87s are super nice end game.

VOXATIV full-range speakers from Germany, I heard the new Pi 9.87 system, can be powered by 2 watts!

I won't underestimate the Hugo2 to do the job, but the TT2 is such a elegant solution w/ additional power in not having to add in an additional amp and running off the grid.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,741 of 18,886

Thank you!!!

Yes it should be OK; but the SE amp will see the currents from the sub and the full range speakers, so assuming both are 8 ohms, then it will be fine. You will get +6dB more output from the XLR of course.

Good question
Good answer

:thumbsup:

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #2,743 of 18,886
Well that's all done with Nintronics, Chord m scaler in silver and Meze audio Empyrean on order.I'll be driving my speakers through the hugo TT 2 and M scaler, 8 ohm for Rel sub and 8 ohm 90 db for my main speakers so very easy to drive.
Paul why you dont upload some Hugo tt 2 photos in action... Can you share your joy with us :) I dont see any real life pictures of it.
Also it would be nice if some guys can compare it with high end Amplifiers too?

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,744 of 18,886
Paul why you dont upload some Hugo tt 2 photos in action... Can you share your joy with us :) I dont see any real life pictures of it.
Also it would be nice if some guys can compare it with high end Amplifiers too?
I have put some pics up mate, when I get m scaler and have the hugo TT 2 driving my speakers direct I'll show more pictures in detail. It's all a learning curve for me.I'm done with surround sound and best picture for films now, seeing that TV companies are trying to push out 8 k tvs has lost me as a customer now it's ridiculous, they haven't even got all films out in 4 k yet, what life span has my Arcam Avr 850 got and Oppo don't make players anymore for movies.
I'll stick with sky for films running through my hugo TT 2 and M scaler and have the best sound i can afford for two channel

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,745 of 18,886
Are you getting your pre-oredered Hugo TT 2s? I’m still waiting for mine, it has not been shipped from Chord UK to Czech Republic yet, from where I pre-ordered it. I’m wondering if demand is so high or if there is any issue within production.

This waiting is killing me. I know.. 1st world problem, but anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back