Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #18,841 of 18,898
Imo its better to give each apparatus its own separate filter intead of plugging in multiple PSU's in a multisocket filter block.
I would expect a well designed multisocket filter block would have internally a separate filter for each and every socket it has.
But only god knows whats out there and cheap or ill designed.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #18,842 of 18,898
I just added two upgrade psu, 15v sboosters to both the tt2 and mscaler, beeing sceptical, because some people mentioned it does not matter…. So I started with the modus, oh well let’s give it a try.

Well the difference is quite noticable. Less with my headphone, but in my full martin logan ESL and flagship amp from musical fidelity, it does matter. Background was quite darker more calmer, somewhat smoother.

Some here at the thread shouting out loud, a lps upgrade does not matter. Well it does. I really don’t inderstand rob watts on that regard?? With the upgrade psu from sbooster sounds close to battery powered. Which I tried a while ago.

Just like my high end amp, it has a reasonable build in dac, but musical fidelity also mentioned it is decent, but for better sound they advice a seperate dac to get the best out of the amp.

Not that it sounded bad with the normal psu, but now it sounds better. Actually the same what happened using a upgrade psu on my chord qutest.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #18,843 of 18,898
I just added two upgrade psu, 15v sboosters to both the tt2 and mscaler, beeing sceptical, because some people mentioned it does not matter…. So I started with the modus, oh well let’s give it a try.

Well the difference is quite noticable. Less with my headphone, but in my full martin logan ESL and flagship amp from musical fidelity, it does matter. Background was quite darker more calmer, somewhat smoother.

Some here at the thread shouting out loud, a lps upgrade does not matter. Well it does. I really don’t inderstand rob watts on that regard?? With the upgrade psu from sbooster sounds close to battery powered. Which I tried a while ago.

Not that it sounded bad with the normal psu, but now it sounds better. Actually the same what happened using a upgrade psu on my chord qutest.
Congrats.

it should make more difference om Mscaler than on TT2 (tt2 has supercaps, MS not).

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #18,845 of 18,898
I can believe that too indeed, but both bettered now, and the change is quite bigger than I could ever imagine. And I am one of the very very sceptical one’s, but this upgrade was deffinately noticible!
People always look at the DAC being better off with a LPS attached to it..

Its reversed.. a LPS is cleaner towards the mains.. no extra switching noise to enter the amp degading things..

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #18,846 of 18,898
An LPS may be noisier than you think!
There are some really pricy stuff out there that are no doubt , well made and engineered.
However, on majority of cases, an SMPS is ultimately beneficial & superior.
- SMPS employs no ground connection, so reduces the possibility of ground loop noise occurring.
- SMPS, by law! must employ RF shielding, while LPS don't have to.
- Mains hum, by default is rarely a problem with SMPS.
- TT2 was designed with its SMPS in mind.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #18,847 of 18,898
An LPS may be noisier than you think!
There are some really pricy stuff out there that are no doubt , well made and engineered.
However, on majority of cases, an SMPS is ultimately beneficial & superior.
- SMPS employs no ground connection, so reduces the possibility of ground loop noise occurring.
- Mains hum, by default is rarely a problem with SMPS.
- TT2 was designed with its SMPS in mind.
I agree but not al smps are build the same. And not all lps are build the same. My background became more darker amd quiet and smoother. Not the more harsch and treble what some confuse with more detail.

The smps supercharger that I use with my burson is a decent build smps. But so is the sbooster lps.

And what someone else mentioned could also be the noise made by smps on the mains, my amp and streamer and even speakers (martin logans esl) are all on the same group (electrical wise)

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #18,848 of 18,898
Maybe so but someone posted this about ifi smps:

...All of the iFi Elite PSUs have the DC plug -ve/gnd part connected to mains earth internally, I checked 5v 12v 15v models with a multimeter. This caused me a problem adding the iFi powered M-Scaler to DAVE as it created a ground loop and made anything connected via spdif or bnc have random glitches (clicks) in the audio...

While I'm sure LPS Sbooster does not have it's terminals connected to ground, I asked them.

Some smps companies brag about doing a good job at cleaning up it's created smps mess (e.g. burson supercharger) which means as much as: some do not! (e.g. burson standard smps).

Imho beware of generalizations (like jjazzy said) and see what works for a certain total setup situation.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #18,849 of 18,898
Mar 28, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #18,850 of 18,898
Maybe so but someone posted this about ifi smps:

...All of the iFi Elite PSUs have the DC plug -ve/gnd part connected to mains earth internally, I checked 5v 12v 15v models with a multimeter. This caused me a problem adding the iFi powered M-Scaler to DAVE as it created a ground loop and made anything connected via spdif or bnc have random glitches (clicks) in the audio...

While I'm sure LPS Sbooster does not have it's terminals connected to ground, I asked them.

Some smps companies brag about doing a good job at cleaning up it's created smps mess (e.g. burson supercharger) which means as much as: some do not! (e.g. burson standard smps).

Imho beware of generalizations (like jjazzy said) and see what works for a certain total setup situation.
Generalization? what generalization.
I was comparing Chord's supplied SMPS (specific) to some LPS Powersupplies.
I did say there are some pricy and well engineered ones out there.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #18,852 of 18,898
Former DAVE+Mscaler owner here. I currently have a Naim Uniti Atom HE setup and have been pondering over a return to Chord desktop gear.

Everything has become more expensive across the board so I am thinking of giving HQ Player a go instead of Mscaler and my former expensive Storm BNC cables.

Main reason for looking into a TT2 this time around is driveability due to its far better amp. Any words of an imminent successor on the horizon?

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #18,853 of 18,898
Former DAVE+Mscaler owner here. I currently have a Naim Uniti Atom HE setup and have been pondering over a return to Chord desktop gear.

Everything has become more expensive across the board so I am thinking of giving HQ Player a go instead of Mscaler and my former expensive Storm BNC cables.

Main reason for looking into a TT2 this time around is driveability due to its far better amp. Any words of an imminent successor on the horizon?
I started with hq player, it lead me to the mscaler.

Hqplayer is a good tool to let you experience what a upscaler can do. It is imho en out of own experience not a mscaler. But it does a nice job (I would say better than without)

What I have heared a tt3 is not yet in the roadmap. A new mscaler for the dave is, but will be even more expensive than the mscaler.

For me the tt2+mscaler is end game for a while, I have heared better… but at two sometimes 3 times the price of the tt2+mscaler combo, especially if you go second hand

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #18,854 of 18,898
You cant go wrong with TT2.

While using its headphone output, in terms of meat to the sound, bass and body.. TT2 outperforms a stock Dave. TT2 was my reference while i made my Dave's internal PSU cap buffer addon to give Dave the same authority (and more)..

But like @jjazzy said .. i would keep it with Mscaler, as theyre so good together.

20230108_141625.jpg

You could explore going dual optical between them though..

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #18,855 of 18,898
You cant go wrong with TT2.

While using its headphone output, in terms of meat to the sound, bass and body.. TT2 outperforms a stock Dave. TT2 was my reference while i made my Dave's internal PSU cap buffer addon to give Dave the same authority (and more)..

But like @jjazzy said .. i would keep it with Mscaler, as theyre so good together.

20230108_141625.jpg

You could explore going dual optical between them though..
Niceeeeee you have both lucky basttt*rrddd😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back