Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 13, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #16,982 of 18,905
I have felt under immense personal attack over the past few months. And it's debilitating. And I just don't understand the animosity

I was quite astonished and saddened to read this. I don’t follow this thread as I don’t have a TT2, but I assume it has followed a similar path to the Dave thread of late. It is a sad reflection of modern society and internet communication in particular. It is making this forum a far less enjoyable environment and one might hope that moderators might do something to bring a better balance back. Anyway, I am certain that you have far more admirers than you have detractors but unfortunately, it is the empty can that rattles the most. Reading charts and data and shooting arrows is far removed from the joy that music brings.

I have owned several of your creations, still own 3 and look forward to hearing the next phase of your digital development. Hopefully, not too expensive! 😉

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #16,983 of 18,905
I was quite astonished and saddened to read this. I don’t follow this thread as I don’t have a TT2, but I assume it has followed a similar path to the Dave thread of late. It is a sad reflection of modern society and internet communication in particular. It is making this forum a far less enjoyable environment and one might hope that moderators might do something to bring a better balance back. Anyway, I am certain that you have far more admirers than you have detractors but unfortunately, it is the empty can that rattles the most. Reading charts and data and shooting arrows is far removed from the joy that music brings.

I have owned several of your creations, still own 3 and look forward to hearing the next phase of your digital development. Hopefully, not too expensive! 😉
The personal attacks were/are mostly, almost exclusively from "Audio Science Review" and its members, hardly any from Headfi!
That does not mean RW is god/king over here 🧐 . I myself, at times, have questioned him, even disagreed, but respect and politeness is something you either have it, or you don't. It is hardly ever a question of "HE doesn't deserve respect . . . " a common excuse used by those who themselves, are without.
I can not comprehend the source of the hostilities either.
RW being a fellow engineer, who has achieved a lot. If he has theories or beliefs that some don't agree or understand, is no excuse for disrespect, or personal attacks.
I have a difference of opinion to Paul McGowan (PS Audio) on many subjects, but do I go and attack him? call him names? god forbid call him a Charlatan!?
No, that would just be rudeness, for the sake of rudeness.
Let us distance ourselves from such attitudes, and if need be, those who engage in personal attacks, and Move On.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #16,984 of 18,905
The personal attacks were/are mostly, almost exclusively from "Audio Science Review" and its members, hardly any from Headfi!
That does not mean RW is god/king over here 🧐 . I myself, at times, have questioned him, even disagreed, but respect and politeness is something you either have it, or you don't. It is hardly ever a question of "HE doesn't deserve respect . . . " a common excuse used by those who themselves, are without.
I can not comprehend the source of the hostilities either.
RW being a fellow engineer, who has achieved a lot. If he has theories or beliefs that some don't agree or understand, is no excuse for disrespect, or personal attacks.
I have a difference of opinion to Paul McGowan (PS Audio) on many subjects, but do I go and attack him? call him names? god forbid call him a Charlatan!?
No, that would just be rudeness, for the sake of rudeness.
Let us distance ourselves from such attitudes, and if need be, those who engage in personal attacks, and Move On.
The world is going to a "us vs them" attitude where dialogue is being thrown to the side, really sad stuff. Whenever you have people with different views, there is almost always an opportunity to learn from the opposing side and vice versa. That doesn't usually happen anymore.

Sep 13, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #16,985 of 18,905
The world is going to a "us vs them" attitude
Only if we reciprocate.
where dialogue is being thrown to the side, really sad stuff. Whenever you have people with different views, there is almost always an opportunity to learn from the opposing side and vice versa. That doesn't usually happen anymore.
sadly.

Sep 13, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #16,986 of 18,905
What do you guys prefere AMP or DAC mode, when you have a headamp connected?

Right now I am using DAC mode + audio-gd he9le. I like it.

Sep 13, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #16,987 of 18,905
What do you guys prefere AMP or DAC mode, when you have a headamp connected?

Right now I am using DAC mode + audio-gd he9le. I like it.
They sound the same. If you need a variable output (ie volume control or need to match the output level to suit the amp) then use AMP mode. If the fixed output is the right level to input to an amp then use DAC mode. Simple as that really.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #16,988 of 18,905
Same here , spent from 9pm till 2am when family slept and worked my process management & architecture stuff i had to finalyze. I dont know why, but at night when all is dark and quite, my musical senses are at best. And usually i listen one more song one more again before bed :-D really it isnt easy to stop
You might find this post from a few years ago interesting as well.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #16,990 of 18,905
Why did nobody tell me the war with asr started ?

Now I’m going back to fight ( LOL ) russian spetnaz to get my kicks. High drag lo speed and they come equipped with pockets full of russian rubles, useless everywhere.

Don’t worry Rob, asr not worth it, as they are sponsored by topping. Even if he says he aint.

Sep 13, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #16,991 of 18,905
I think we will have some peace now that they have taken their rancor to pollute other waters. They have attacked every chord product, so now on to some other products hopefully. I do wish they would keep the rancor on Audio Science Rancor.… When you click the names of some of these trolls, you see that every single post they have made on Headfi is a negative Chord comment.. They came here just to troll that issue, knowing that Rob reads, in other words… Moderators should take notice… We got rid of them on the Dave thread by turning conversation to music, which is telling in itself: Those dudes dont really listen to music, nor love it or understand its purpose/purposelessness….

To answer the above: I use variable output with my amp as the output of the TT2 is too strong for it and so it is a chocie of 1 click on amp or 10 o’clock on amp with variable. I prefer the latter, but a margin.

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #16,992 of 18,905
I think we will have some peace now that they have taken their rancor to pollute other waters. They have attacked every chord product, so now on to some other products hopefully. I do wish they would keep the rancor on Audio Science Rancor.… When you click the names of some of these trolls, you see that every single post they have made on Headfi is a negative Chord comment.. They came here just to troll that issue, knowing that Rob reads, in other words… Moderators should take notice… We got rid of them on the Dave thread by turning conversation to music, which is telling in itself: Those dudes dont really listen to music, nor love it or understand its purpose/purposelessness….

To answer the above: I use variable output with my amp as the output of the TT2 is too strong for it and so it is a chocie of 1 click on amp or 10 o’clock on amp with variable. I prefer the latter, but a margin.

I totally missed it, I can’t get a good phone signal in my trench, maybe that was the cause ? Hold up, frag out……...back again.

Rob is above all that petty schit, folk will moan about every and anything nowadays, but it’s obvious that asr is a shill for topping.

Atleast Rob’s pink panther ornaments are not broken unlike amir/amirm’s set.

:sunglasses:

Sep 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #16,993 of 18,905
Oh wow. What happened. Don’t answer that.

Look, there are minor quibbles and idiosyncrasies with Chord. I no longer own a TT2 but it remains one of the most detailed and capable DACs available. And at a relatively small footprint.

I’ve never understood why people focus so much on technical data. When the end outcome is “use your ears”.

Having owned several chord and other products there is a psychological brain tuning. I feel one adapts to a certain sound signature over time. So if you’re not used to Chord and suddenly switch, it may not sound quite right. Listen to chord exclusively and it grows on you. Very much so.

Was thinking how much I’ve enjoyed my Hugo2 over the time I’ve owned it. I think I’ll pick it up again tomorrow for a listen.

Can we please have a 4.4mm output eventually please? Save me a fortune in dongles, pigtails and adapters

Sep 14, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #16,994 of 18,905
Oh wow. What happened. Don’t answer that.

Look, there are minor quibbles and idiosyncrasies with Chord. I no longer own a TT2 but it remains one of the most detailed and capable DACs available. And at a relatively small footprint.

I’ve never understood why people focus so much on technical data. When the end outcome is “use your ears”.

Having owned several chord and other products there is a psychological brain tuning. I feel one adapts to a certain sound signature over time. So if you’re not used to Chord and suddenly switch, it may not sound quite right. Listen to chord exclusively and it grows on you. Very much so.

Was thinking how much I’ve enjoyed my Hugo2 over the time I’ve owned it. I think I’ll pick it up again tomorrow for a listen.

Can we please have a 4.4mm output eventually please? Save me a fortune in dongles, pigtails and adapters
I loved it since day one, it sounds musical, deep, wide and has impact, the imaging is incredible, it has all I want basically.

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #16,995 of 18,905
+1 from me! I understand the philosophy of the design and trust Rob Watts in this. But the reality is that we still have various cables and must either 1. buy another cable and then change the cable when switching the source, or 2. use adapters (not convenient) 3. or re-terminate (problematic)

Please use balanced (XLR or 4.4mm) out as a second out instead of two single-ended. From my own experience and observations, 99% of the H2 / Mojo2/ TT2 users would be happy with this solution, even if it delivered the same power.

So, having two various outputs is beneficial. Moreover, I don't understand why all outputs in Chord products have unified volume control. For me, it's useless: since headphones usually have different sensitivity, you can't really compare two headphones, nor can you leave them both plugged in. For example, I have Meze Elite and Abyss 1266; the only effect I get from the second 6.3mm output is the constant fear that I forget to unplug Elites (while listening to Abyss) and they will explode.

So, to sum up: sonically, I'm a great fan, and I love Chord sound on all product tiers. All I need from TT3 or H3, or M3 is:
* replacing second single-ended output with a balanced out
* separate volume control
* more significant differences between filters
* and if you add an integrated streamer (replacing the Bluetooth module with a Roon-ready streamer to keep the small footprint is ok, at least in TT), then I can buy it on the release day :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back