Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #16,996 of 18,905
I am curious of what is the most used filter. Switching from FIL1 to FIL3 added some analog sweetness to the vocals.

I think FIL3 is my favorite, most obvious to hear in blindtest. Everytime I land on FIL3.

FIL1 does not feel engaging, but does have the highs more narrowed.

XFD1 does give the Susvara a little lift(centered punch), even though XFD0 has better soundstage.

What are your favs?

XFD and FIL

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #16,997 of 18,905
I am curious of what is the most used filter. Switching from FIL1 to FIL3 added some analog sweetness to the vocals.
AFAIK, first two filters operate at 256X oversampling, while the last two at 16X.
So it is not just a high frequency filter, but also controls the number of oversampling.
F1 and F3 are straight line options (flat to 20kHz), while F2 and F4 add a little audio high frequency (and above) attenuation, mostly used for taming Hi-Res tracks with excessive out-of-band noise.
The fact you like F3 over F1, is perhaps you like 16X oversampling to 256X, otherwise frequency response of both should be identical.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #16,998 of 18,905
AFAIK, first two filters operate at 256X oversampling, while the last two at 16X.
So it is not just a high frequency filter, but also controls the number of oversampling.
F1 and F3 are straight line options (flat to 20kHz), while F2 and F4 add a little audio high frequency (and above) attenuation, mostly used for taming Hi-Res tracks with excessive out-of-band noise.
The fact you like F3 over F1, is perhaps you like 16X oversampling to 256X, otherwise frequency response of both should be identical.
FIL3 sounds more open to me. I just made 4 blindtest. I don´t like FIL4. I end up at FIL3 no matter the XFD

XFD01 and FIL3 gave some life to the Susvara.

Sep 14, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #16,999 of 18,905
1662412819142.png

Above is from Hugo2 specs. There is not much info that I can find tonight for TT2, but I bet it is the same implementation.
You can see how filters work.
Regarding Xfeed, I personally don't like to artificially limit the stereo separation (that's what Xfeed does), however, some open-back headphones have a defused (ish) sound stage, Susvara included.
By defused, I mean they sort of have reduced central image, and all else is too wide apart, so a small crossfeed helps.
On my Edition XS review, I mentioned at the time that the stereo image was akin to being out-of-phase! I really meant defused.
I accidentally found a small mod. to address the issue, and it has worked for me very well. The central image got improved, and stereo image became more pin-point, as opposed to being all over the place.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-edition-xs-mods.961413/

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #17,000 of 18,905
Always with No Crossfeed and Fil1 here.

Sometimes Crossfeed may come in handy when i listen to old recording that has "extreme" separation signal on left and right. For majority of recordings, no crossfeed is the best for me, create a complete imaging that wrap my head.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #17,001 of 18,905
I think it mostly depends on headphones/speakers, but to me with my preferred Audeze, Meze and Final headphones I always liked filter nr1 with crossfeed on the 2.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #17,002 of 18,905
I have finally found the difference between my diablo and tt2.

"I'm sitting at a table, with some friends in a club/bar"

The whole club is the TT2(FIL1 XFD0), I can hear everybody, the vibe the atmosphere. I feel like dancing...

From nowhere suddenly an interesting subject comes up, I get tuned into the subject, I'm focused(diablo), everything else is "blurred"

Both is amazing in there way..

Sep 18, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #17,004 of 18,905
I have finally found the difference between my diablo and tt2.
"I'm sitting at a table, with some friends in a club/bar"
The whole club is the TT2(FIL1 XFD0), I can hear everybody, the vibe the atmosphere. I feel like dancing...
From nowhere suddenly an interesting subject comes up, I get tuned into the subject, I'm focused(diablo), everything else is "blurred"
Both is amazing in there way..
Further to what we were talking about the various filters (F1 to F4), Rob Watts explains the filters on his DACs in a recent interview.
Check it out at about 38 minutes.

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #17,006 of 18,905
Today my TT2 has decided to trip my electrics repeatedly. Call to the dealer as clearly something is amiss.
Can you please explaing a little?

I had problems with unplugging the usb out and in again. I had to switch usb to opt and back again

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #17,007 of 18,905
Nothing much to explain. Was watching TV when an RCD tripped. Managed to trip it several more times and by a process of elimination concluded that it’s either an Innuos Zenith or the TT2. The former is on a Musicline Powerigel with my amps and power supplies and seems unlikely to be tripping anything. Ergo it must be the TT2.

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #17,008 of 18,905
Nothing much to explain. Was watching TV when an RCD tripped. Managed to trip it several more times and by a process of elimination concluded that it’s either an Innuos Zenith or the TT2. The former is on a Musicline Powerigel with my amps and power supplies and seems unlikely to be tripping anything. Ergo it must be the TT2.
Ok. connected with optical cable I guess?

Sep 20, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #17,010 of 18,905

Users who are viewing this thread

Back