Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #16,606 of 18,905
I have the TT2/M-Scaler combo and use it also as a DAC to my Rivier AIC-10 with great results and now issues.

You could do that with the Enleum and have a great Setup. You would be able to power any headphone you want and drive speakers.
Thank you for your understanding. My brain is working on overtime, dacs and amps....dacs and amps.

I have a diablo and rme adi2...and have no headphone amps.

So I decided to amp my adi2 with diablo(amp mode) It lifted all the image of the sound and I suddenly realised even my Arya sounded much more, more´alive. I was skeptic about amps and thought it was just volume/tolerance. I was deeply wrong.

Therefore I think I will buy a better amp for my adi2. I also wish to get passives speakers later, so maybe I am still aiming for enleum.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #16,608 of 18,905
Hahah, what I'm saying is just be safe and don't do it. You'll probably be ok, but why take the chance?

Now the grooves...I don't know why on such a headphone dedicated device they'd have these unnecessary grooves that has prevented me from using certain plugs or adapters of my choice. But, realistically it's just a minor nuisance - probably some 98% of plugs will fit fine.
Ok. Let say this DC hot plug thing will never happen. It works fine and all that….

1. It just looks like the grove for SE is going to be annoying. I dont’ want an adapter. I want to be able to use viablue and furutech. Possible?

2. The power thing. If I am not using it I can just turn it off? - or does it only goes into standby?

- I got really confused after reading 50 pages on this issue. Im not the type who leaves devices on. I have an issue(complex)with RME DAC FS also going into standby. For this reason I am scared to leave my headphones connected overnight..

3. Gaming and Discord - any issues?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #16,609 of 18,905
Funny thing, new TT2s have sticker on the power unit showing you that at first you have to connect brick to wall and then to TT2.
1660040184382.png

Since I had couple of TT2 for the last ~2 years or so I know for sure that something was changed internally in TT2.

First models ran starting sequence as soon as power brick was connected.
Later models it takes like ~10 seconds to run starting sequence (by starting sequence I mean when internal capacitors are being charged)
@Rob Watts any comment on that?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #16,610 of 18,905
Funny thing, new TT2s have sticker on the power unit showing you that at first you have to connect brick to wall and then to TT2.
1660040184382.png

Since I had couple of TT2 for the last ~2 years or so I know for sure that something was changed internally in TT2.

First models ran starting sequence as soon as power brick was connected.
Later models it takes like ~10 seconds to run starting sequence (by starting sequence I mean when internal capacitors are being charged)
@Rob Watts any comment on that?
Is it warning don´t do that or do that?

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #16,612 of 18,905
Is it warning don´t do that or do that?

I can't really tell. Very confusing sticker. All I know is that my TT2 got fried then doing as in the pic. After geting the TT2 fixed I got the same stock PSU back.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #16,613 of 18,905
I can not do that. Hot plug any electronics.

...I talked with the store, and they told me I could atleast give the TT2 a try, and If don´t like it send it back. So Im gonna give it a try anyway. I love details, if the TT2 can bring more details than Diablo and ADi-2, I am satisfied.

Im gonna give impression later today or tommorow.

EDIT: I imagine you can destroy alot of dacs by DC hotplug. I think that warning is a big confusion. Never in my life have I bought electronics that have told me to hotplug specifically.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #16,614 of 18,905
1660040184382.png
That makes no sense. But certainly could indicate some internal changes or a new psu.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #16,616 of 18,905
I can not do that. Hot plug any electronics.

...I talked with the store, and they told me I could atleast give the TT2 a try, and If don´t like it send it back. So Im gonna give it a try anyway. I love details, if the TT2 can bring more details than Diablo and ADi-2, I am satisfied.

Im gonna give impression later today or tommorow.

EDIT: I imagine you can destroy alot of dacs by DC hotplug. I think that warning is a big confusion. Never in my life have I bought electronics that have told me to hotplug specifically.

It sounds like a good idea to try, you know, otherwise you'll always wonder. The TT2 is a good DAC with a good headphone amplifier, at least for most headphones. I liked it the most with the LCD4. I think it's hard to find a better DAC/amp in that price range.

As for the order in which the mains cable should be connected to the PSU, Chord must make it 100% clear so that you/we don't have to worry about it.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #16,617 of 18,905
So I picked it up :)

This TT2 does feel like quality/weighty. Really beautifully machined..... the remote though, it is trying to bring the 80s back, with old fashion(justified thought)..wonder if Logitech harmony could be configured..Hmmmm.

PSU logic(mine): if the mains are active it can cause spikes sometimes when pluggin in/out. There these spikes/voltage changes are not transferred to the TT2?...it will actually make sense hot plugging anyway, minimizing the spike)?

I don´t know now, Im lost....Im gonna turn everything off first...

The first hour
1. Installed the driver, turned it on, chose USB

Gaming: No latency detected(with my ears) works fine
Headphone: AryaV2
Volume: -7H
Crossfeed: XFD0
Filter: FIL4....FIL3, hmmmm
Sound impression:
Very neutral with some crispy surprises in the highs. It definitly has something going on in the mid-lows I like. This also makes it good at low volume, as I have noticed. It doesnt have the annoying highs, I get sometime from RME ADi-2(ifi purifier3 is perfect for RME DAC FS, it fixes that)

Its very crispy, like hearing the grass grow-sound-kinda-thing. Some of the high snares doesnt sound too sharp(FIL4?), but defined. Even though I need more bass, it sounds well-balanced.

Soundstage feels more open mid-high. I definitly like it for now.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #16,618 of 18,905
@ra990

I read through this thread and saw you had posted a video with problems with TT2. When did that happend. Áfter a while or when you bought it.

I have cold feet from buying this now, also from ASR review of dave en the issues people have.

EDIT: from the headphone jack groves it seems to be a challange for some headphone jacks to fit......damn all this pop up just when Im going to accept the order tomorrow....I think I pass on this DAC,...annoyed!

@ra990

I read through this thread and saw you had posted a video with problems with TT2. When did that happend. Áfter a while or when you bought it.

I have cold feet from buying this now, also from ASR review of dave en the issues people have.

EDIT: from the headphone jack groves it seems to be a challange for some headphone jacks to fit......damn all this pop up just when Im going to accept the order tomorrow....I think I pass on this DAC,...annoyed!

So I picked it up :)

This TT2 does feel like quality/weighty. Really beautifully machined..... the remote though, it is trying to bring the 80s back, with old fashion(justified thought)..wonder if Logitech harmony could be configured..Hmmmm.

PSU logic(mine): if the mains are active it can cause spikes sometimes when pluggin in/out. There these spikes/voltage changes are not transferred to the TT2?...it will actually make sense hot plugging anyway, minimizing the spike)?

I don´t know now, Im lost....Im gonna turn everything off first...

The first hour
1. Installed the driver, turned it on, chose USB

Gaming: No latency detected(with my ears) works fine
Headphone: AryaV2
Volume: -7H
Crossfeed: XFD0
Filter: FIL4....FIL3, hmmmm
Sound impression:
Very neutral with some crispy surprises in the highs. It definitly has something going on in the mid-lows I like. This also makes it good at low volume, as I have noticed. It doesnt have the annoying highs, I get sometime from RME ADi-2(ifi purifier3 is perfect for RME DAC FS, it fixes that)

Its very crispy, like hearing the grass grow-sound-kinda-thing. Some of the high snares doesnt sound too sharp(FIL4?), but defined. Even though I need more bass, it sounds well-balanced.

Soundstage feels more open mid-high. I definitly like it for now.
I think you made a great choice with TT2. While it's wrong for ASR guys saying Chord DACs are a rip-off, you can easily fall into the deadly rabbit hole of DAVE/Susvara combo. TT2 is definitely one of if not the best choice for headphone DAC/Preamp/HPAmp one in all solution.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #16,620 of 18,905
I think you made a great choice with TT2. While it's wrong for ASR guys saying Chord DACs are a rip-off, you can easily fall into the deadly rabbit hole of DAVE/Susvara combo. TT2 is definitely one of if not the best choice for headphone DAC/Preamp/HPAmp one in all solution.

+1

TT2 also has special (excellent) synergy with any Planar headphones I paired to. Not so much to something like dynamic diver with high impedance headphone (such ZMF), sound can become too "damped" and too polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back