Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 6, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #16,531 of 18,905
The biggest critique towards Chord gear seems to be the unique and quirky design.
I personally like a stand-apart quirky design.

IMG_20220806_163431.jpg

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #16,532 of 18,905
Has anybody had ground issues with TT2. The power supply seems not to have earth connection?

From my miserable experience with RME DAC FS, it needed to be grounded with an earth cable just to stay quiet

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #16,533 of 18,905
Has anybody had ground issues with TT2. The power supply seems not to have earth connection?

From my miserable experience with RME DAC FS, it needed to be grounded with an earth cable just to stay quiet
Well, it depends on your home electricity system but yes, I did have grounding issues too. iFi groundhog solved the problem for me.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #16,534 of 18,905
Well, it depends on your home electricity system but yes, I did have grounding issues too. iFi groundhog solved the problem for me.
Yeah I thought so. Gonna diy on again then....Might go the power conditioner route too while I am at it

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #16,535 of 18,905
To my limited knowledge, not having an earth (floating earth) can be beneficial.
You can't get earth loop issues!
BTW, the outboard PSU is an SMPS type, so by law, it has power conditioners builtin.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #16,536 of 18,905
To my limited knowledge, not having an earth (floating earth) can be beneficial.
You can't get earth loop issues!
BTW, the outboard PSU is an SMPS type, so by law, it has power conditioners builtin.
Ok. let say I get the ground issues. Should the earth cable be attached to the last device in the chain?
-Let say I add Ferrum OOR which also looks not to have earth.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #16,537 of 18,905
Ok. let say I get the ground issues. Should the earth cable be attached to the last device in the chain?
-Let say I add Ferrum OOR which also looks not to have earth.
I am not familiar with the OOR, just looked it up.
Use optical on TT2, and it wouldn't matter if it is earthed or not.
I believe the OOR has outboard PSU, so it may not be earthed either.

Aug 6, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #16,538 of 18,905
The PSU on the OOR seems like a linear PSU, and has mains filter builtin.
Linear PSU's usually are earthed.

1659818416457.png

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #16,539 of 18,905
I used my speaker amp (se my sig) to the XLR and this sounded better than both the front SE and rear XLR from TT2 IMO. I had small loss of fluid compared to front SE, but everything else got better with my speaker amp in the chain.
With my AHB2 my audiophool ears tell me I hea slightly tighter and more defined bottom end ans smoother treble, same details, clarity but more control on messier musical sections etc… now listening on SE and happy as a fish in water, Difficult to asses as it takes 30+ seconds to switch and by then my audiophool fish memory always thinks that last I heard was the best…need to engage my wife, she hates high end hifi but loves good sound and she can tell what sounds best as she does not care about brands or prices or whatever,(she hates cables though, all cables, no matter what!) so will do a test with her one day and report back…

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #16,540 of 18,905
I am not familiar with the OOR, just looked it up.
Use optical on TT2, and it wouldn't matter if it is earthed or not.
I believe the OOR has outboard PSU, so it may not be earthed either.
Optical from pc?

For some reason it always sound more clear in optical with dacs imo.

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #16,541 of 18,905
With my AHB2 my audiophool ears tell me I hea slightly tighter and more defined bottom end ans smoother treble, same details, clarity but more control on messier musical sections etc… now listening on SE and happy as a fish in water, Difficult to asses as it takes 30+ seconds to switch and by then my audiophool fish memory always thinks that last I heard was the best…need to engage my wife, she hates high end hifi but loves good sound and she can tell what sounds best as she does not care about brands or prices or whatever,(she hates cables though, all cables, no matter what!) so will do a test with her one day and report back…
As a spoiler last tine I made a test between the stealth and my old trusty hd800, I was so confident and sure the stekth would win outright but after an hour of playing all kinds of variation of singa it was a draw!!! She did enjoy the hd800 sound signature on 50% of the songs, probably of the soundstage but it says alot even though the Stealth are technically the best HP without doubt…..now I am scared to test her with the susvaras….😱

Aug 6, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #16,542 of 18,905
Sorry for my typos, fat fingers on an Iphone..🤦🏼‍♂️

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #16,543 of 18,905
Optical from pc?
Well yes. Optical makes no electrical connection, so earth problems can not occur.
For noise to show its ugly head, it needs to flow from one device to another. if you block the flow at any point, you break the circuit. If noise can not flow, it can't do any harm.
How does it flow? it flows between earth/ground of two or more devices that are not perfectly grounded. Perfectly grounding is nigh impossible, or very very difficult, specially at higher frequencies!
Removing a device's ground (floating the ground) can solve the issue effectively.
Hence, using a DAC connected to a phone (ungrounded) and headphones (i.e. no separate amp with a ground), means no picked up noise.
Use optical, and your mains-powered-grounded PC -noise can not flow into the DAC, or further afield.
For some reason it always sound more clear in optical with dacs imo.
Reason is given above.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #16,544 of 18,905
I think I will go with a jcat solution for the usb

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #16,545 of 18,905
It just occurred to me, This is the Hugo TT2 thread, and not the Hugo 2 !
The TT2 has a galvanic isolator built into its USB input.
That jcat, won't do anything for TT2.
You won't get USB noise on TT2.
You don't need anything, if you have noise issues, it is highly unlikely for it be from the DAC or anything connected to its USB.
Look for the issue elsewhere.
Sorry, my reasoning applied to Hugo2 and not the TT2.
It is almost midnight over here, that's my excuse!
And good night . . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back