Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #138 of 18,907
I have a TT2 on now, with HP, and an M scaler, and this is the first time I have heard a production unit with metalwork - and I can't believe how good this sounds - every track is spine tinglingly good.

Would this be a prototype M scaler or Blu II? :)

May 12, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #139 of 18,907
And it wouldn't make much sense if little brother can hit 768 and TT can't.

Thats why I asked, because it didnt make sense.

Least we know it can do 768 and 384 was just a mistake or they forgot to add 768.

To those who have had a quick listen to H2TT, if possible how does it compare with H2 ?

I want the flexibility that streaming brings to the table with regards to H2 & 2go, but I am unsure if 2go will be released this year or at all ?

Hopefully info about 2go and its release date will be mentioned before H2TT hits the shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #141 of 18,907
Is it possible to power the Hugo TT 2 with external battery pack? I wasn't sure, anyway connected to the mais all the time, we will not worry about future possible battery replacements.

Why would you want to power tt2 with an external battery pack? Just plug it in to a source/ lps whatever...

May 12, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #142 of 18,907
Is TT2 simply a switch off/on mode of operation like dave? Nothing more nothing less?

But powered by supercaps which take 10 secs to charge up then down internally?

When you finish listening flick the switch off then off at the mains. Done. No battery no worries about charging/discharging.

May 12, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #143 of 18,907
Is it possible to power the Hugo TT 2 with external battery pack? I wasn't sure, anyway connected to the mais all the time, we will not worry about future possible battery replacements.

Mm....just use an Omnicharge, a battery bank with AC outlet. I am assuming that the tt2 is under 100 watts.

http://www.omnicharge.co/about/#video

May 13, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #145 of 18,907
Is TT2 simply a switch off/on mode of operation like dave? Nothing more nothing less?

But powered by supercaps which take 10 secs to charge up then down internally?

When you finish listening flick the switch off then off at the mains. Done. No battery no worries about charging/discharging.

Just use the standby button on the unit or via the remote control.

So the TT2 (like the original TT) does not process native DSD (like the DAVE does)?
( 'just wanted to verify this.)

Of course TT 2 process's native DSD like all my DAC's - in that it gets filtered, so all the dreadful DSD out of band noise and distortion is removed. Why do I do this? So that I can recover the original analogue signal before the ADC; analogue from a microphone does not have -20dB noise at 100 kHz, with distortion extending up to MHz. The filter is the same as in Hugo 2 and is capable of over 200dB of filtering; this is why it's unnecessary to have a dedicated DSD mode like Dave, as the gap has now been closed.

May 13, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #146 of 18,907
Mm....just use an Omnicharge, a battery bank with AC outlet. I am assuming that the tt2 is under 100 watts.

http://www.omnicharge.co/about/#video

Thanks for the link. I am looking for something like this in Singapore currently. But at Sim Lim nobody seems to sell any battery banks that even work with a MBP.
This sure looks like an interesting option for me when I am "out in the bush". But looking at their site I find no information on where to buy it outside of the USA.
Nor any information of how many hours I could run my MBP and my Qutest via a fully charged unit.
The battery in my old MBP gives me maximum 4-6 hours of use playing music via Audirvana or Pure Music.
Any idea how many extra hours their big most powerful unit would deliver compared to what I have now?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #147 of 18,907
I have a bad feeling that Dave 2 is coming after this release chain.

May 13, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #149 of 18,907
I have a bad feeling that Dave 2 is coming after this release chain.

This should take away your bad feeling. It is a post from last week.

No I am not working or thinking about a Dave 2. In terms of raw transparency, detail resolution and depth perception, Dave is still easily the king...

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #150 of 18,907
So here is the presentation I made at Munich yesterday about TT2. Unfortunately, time for these presentations is limited to half an hour, so I had to be somewhat brief.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

So this is a general introduction to the importance of the timing of transients.

Slide3.JPG

The FPGA used in TT2 has 5 times the capacity of the original TT, and double the size of the FPGA used in Hugo 2. Also, because it is a desktop unit, I do not have the power limitations that Hugo 2 has, so I can fully exploit the FPGA used - the Artix 35T.

Slide4.JPG

Talking about why noise floor modulation is important.

Slide5.JPG

The actual steps needed to remove noise floor modulation actually is vast, and affects all design decisions within a DAC/amp; it's also an issue that is impossible to solve using regular chip DAC's, due to on chip noise, and other vital issues.

Slide6.JPG

The improved noise shaper is about 100 times more effective than Hugo 2, and is approaching Dave's noise shapers' performance. Does this mean TT2 has the same depth and detail resolution as Dave? No I am afraid not. Dave is still considerably more transparent - although the noise shapers are vital, there is more to depth and transparency than just the noise shapers.

Slide7.JPG

So now we are getting into the more interesting stuff with TT2 - the output stage and PSU. When you turn on TT 2, it enters a charge mode, where a large controlled current is fed into the supercaps to charge them up and this takes about 10 seconds. The charge process is via a FET switcher and a very large inductor; this has two benefits - the current drawn from the supply is large and constant (3A) but initially is converted to ten amps going into the super-caps as the voltage is low. The second benefit of the inductor is that, together with other other inductors, ferrites and capacitors, removes noise from 20 Hz (actually the filter starts at 1 Hz) to 5 GHz. The power unit supplied is actually much more capable than it seems, and the PSU structure has been built around this particular power unit. I went through a lot of power supplies and a couple of design revisions, to ensure that when connected there was no measured change in performance at all. So this power structure has the benefits of ultra low noise from batteries - without the worry of battery life - but also huge dynamic current capability.

The OP stage was radically re-designed - initially I was using a beefed up Hugo2 design; but ended up using the design from the power pulse array project as this had been running in parallel to TT2's development. This OP stage is capable of large amounts of current, and more importantly, is extremely low distortion with current delivery - as you increase current load, distortion barely changes, and then only by increasing 2nd harmonic only.

But there is no point in having an output stage that has no distortion with current, if the PSU can't deliver the current. This is where the super caps comes in; audio requires bursts of current, and super caps are perfect at doing this; so the effect of the large inductor and the supercaps with the 1 Hz filtering, means that the PSU is only seeing DC current - no audio components.

Slide8.JPG

I really wanted TT2 to be all things to all men; so I needed it to perform perfectly with ultra sensitive IEM's, and power hungry monster headphones, and then with loudspeakers directly - all with the philosophy of maximum simplicity on the analogue section as per previous designs.

Slide9.JPG

So the key points here is very low residual noise (1.7 uV) in low gain mode - lowest noise of any DAC I have designed before - but with 6W into 8 ohms, with extremely low distortion at 0.00016%.

Slide10.JPG

Usual zero jitter.

Slide11.JPG

Of course, no measurable noise floor modulation.

Slide12.JPG

So this shows distortion barely changing with 6W into 8 ohms, and again with zero measureable noise floor modulation.

Slide13.JPG

This measurement was something I don't usually publish, but it was so extraordinary, and it illustrates how effective the second order analogue noise shaper actually is and how linear the new OP stage is. If you look above 3 kHz there is zero difference from the no signal noise floor - so no measurable distortion at all. Remember this is at 12W into 8 using the balanced XLR OP - I have never seen this level of performance before from a power amp, with no high order harmonics at all, so it is very remarkable.

Slide14.JPG

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back