1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by ChordElectronics, May 10, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last
  1. greenmountain
    I listen to them today and was very impressed, very open, neither warm or hifiish, just natural. Now i know how coloured the mojo is!

2. UELong
    It would be great, but my experience tells me I would be forced out of the way. I once got told off by the old Canadian guitarist Randy Bachman, because I accidently got in the way of someone taking a picture of him. I HATE crouds. I'll have to worship JF and RW from afar.

3. GreenBow
    Yeah, it's the term 'DAC mode' that has me all confused. I find it hard to imagine a Chord DAC as in any other mode than as a DAC. Does it mean line-level mode, like we set the Mojo to 3V, and the same with the Hugo 2?

4. gintamafans
    So what about the output on the headphone jack? and there is three SE headphone output, isnt this too many?

5. MacedonianHero Contributor
    I actually met Randy at a Sam The Record Man in Polo Park Mall (1990s) in Winnipeg (his hometown...and my wife's hometown too). Great guy, very nice and eager to talk to his fans.

UELong likes this.
  6. seeteeyou
    Did anyone notice dual Toslink inputs by any chance?

In other words, maybe that could be a hint for a pair of optical outputs from an upcoming standalone M-Scaler?

7. Serre Dent
    I have a mojo but many things could make me jump on board and bypass hugo2.

- usb isolator
    - better specs than hugo 2 (taps&supercaps, ... etc)
    -And most importantly, be able to directly drive speakers: If I buy a hugo2/cutest, I will have to buy an external amp, and pay for it knowing that it will be degrading transparency.
    I can't wait for opinions on how TT2 sounds on speakers !
    And get everything already on hugo2 (crossfeed, etc..)

It is crazy how the mojo made it eventually possible to spend thousands.
    And by the way, design was key to get me on board with Chord, or maybe I would not have heard about it. Unique form brought unique content. Bravo.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. Rob Watts
    You have a number of options:

DAC mode - outputs are fixed to 2.5v (RCA) 5v RMS (XLR). Volume is disabled.
    Low gain mode: This changes the gain of the amplifier, and limits the output to a maximum of 3V RMS RCA (6V RMS XLR).
    Use the volume control: So setting the volume to -3dB will limit it to 3v RMS, exactly the same as Dave and Hugo 2; so just 4 clicks down (-7 dB) will mean 1.9v RMS maximum.

As too gongs or whatever - hearing and enjoying the music emotionally is very much more important and is the reward in it's own right. I have a TT2 on now, with HP, and an M scaler, and this is the first time I have heard a production unit with metalwork - and I can't believe how good this sounds - every track is spine tinglingly good. And I have been listening to many TT2 prototypes now since last September, so I know it well.

But this performance gives me a huge and enormous challenge - I really really want this sound on a plane....

Yes the last 9 months has been very busy, with the TT2 and power pulse array - the DX amp. Initially TT2 had a beefed up Hugo 2 OP stage. And the DX amp had a much more complex OP stage - but this turned out to be not suitable. So this got redesigned, and I got the performance I needed - but then I realised I could update TT2 with this new OP stage, so it got added into the next TT 2 prototype. This increased the short circuit current delivery by 10 times, without sacrificing speed or propagation delay. The speed is crucial, as the 2nd order analogue noise shaper OP stage absolutely requires very fast switching speed, (of order of 30 nS) for phase margin and stability reasons.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    GreenBow, Deftone, onsionsi and 10 others like this.
  9. Triode User
    The more I hear about TT2 the more awesome it becomes.

Great work and looking like a bargain at the target price.

10. GreenBow
    I believe you about the spine-tingling performance. I have that with Hugo 2 quite often. Sometimes some sounds just zizz in that spine tingling or mind tingling way. They have 3D performance and perception, and super clarity with great detail. ... (That's just with my modest Rega Brio and Dynaudio Emit M10.)

I think I would use DAC mode if I had a TT2. I am a little confused though about the idea of gain mode. It suggests an amplifier at the back end of the TT. ... Or I have totally misunderstood. (I thought someone else suggested that too.)

However I thought you did output straight off the DAC output. Maybe in gain mode you mean DAC output with variable gain. There's my confusion. (I saw 'DAC mode' in the DAVE manual too, and was just as confused.)

I like your modesty over the suggestion of a knighthood or such. However you Mr Rob Watts and John Franks (Mojo Inclination), are achieving something or than just sound quality. OK you're bringing unparalleled sound quality. You and John however, are doing it in a pioneering way though, and leading the field, again pioneering.

As I said though, you're also negating the hassle of vinyl. However you are also removing the need for vinyl production, which is perfect for our planet's environment. .. I'm not a person for needing the tactile touch of the vinyl sleeve, or the touch of the LP. I like a clean world. You're helping.

I think the only drawback, is essentially cost with Chord DACs, and that is not an insult. I just mean that for those on limited budget, the only option is Mojo. Whereas ideally the Mojo is better run from only battery, and many want a static desktop DAC. Although some run the Mojo in desktop style on power all the time successfully. However it's not ideal and puts some people off. The desktop Mojo would be very cool. .... Going from the Hugo 2 though, the Qutest must be a very strong contender. It was so cool that you realised that some of us only have/had 2V input. Then added that output to the Qutest. (I have 10V input now with Rega, by the way.)

I suppose what I am saying too, is congratulations, and thank you.

musickid and OK-Guy like this.
  11. UELong
    Maybe I met him on a bad day.

12. OK-Guy
    it is always worth keeping a eye on Chord's appointed Dealers for the occasional ex-Dem deal, obviously you'll have to wait a good few months after initial release that said, there will be good savings to be had and most will carry a warranty so worth keeping a eye out, hth.

13. Amberlamps
    Reading on the Chord website, it says with regards to Hugo 2 TT.

It says, PCM support goes upto 384khz, is that correct ?

Is their no love for 768khz pcm ?

I only ask because 768khz and dsd 512 are nigh on useless for 98% of users, but why include dsd 512 but not 768khz like the latest dac’s from chord ?

Can someone clarify if Hugo 2 TT does support 768khz.

14. miketlse
    Read post #1
    "As expected, it delivers radically improved technical specifications and measurements across the board and exhibits drastic sonic benefits over its predecessor with 768kHz PCM and DSD 512 playback."

Amberlamps likes this.
  15. Amberlamps
    Hmm, it must be a typo/mistake on their website.

I did think it supported it but when looking at chords site it maxes out at 384khz.

Cheers

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Next

Last