Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #18,276 of 18,448
After fiddeling around with HMS/TT2 connected directly via USB to my Mac / Studio Display, I want to optimize my digital source. I read a lot about streamers and the SRC-DX or OPTO. As I understood, an SRC-DX needs a good source as well to perform good. And that could potentially be a streamer...

But since I am only using headphones at my desk, I would prefer keeping a direct connection to my Mac. Is it possible to get high sound quality from a Mac as source? For example by using a high quality usb cable and these iFi filters (e.g. iPurifier, iSilencer+ ). Or are they rather toys? Can a good USB chain from a Mac compete with a decent streamer?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #18,277 of 18,448
After fiddeling around with HMS/TT2 connected directly via USB to my Mac / Studio Display, I want to optimize my digital source. I read a lot about streamers and the SRC-DX or OPTO. As I understood, an SRC-DX needs a good source as well to perform good. And that could potentially be a streamer...

But since I am only using headphones at my desk, I would prefer keeping a direct connection to my Mac. Is it possible to get high sound quality from a Mac as source? For example by using a high quality usb cable and these iFi filters (e.g. iPurifier, iSilencer+ ). Or are they rather toys? Can a good USB chain from a Mac compete with a decent streamer?
Just use a good ddc inbetween Mac and HMS. I use the Topping D10. Feed the HMS optical input from the ddc. You could also use a bixpower power bank to power the HMS. Job done.

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #18,278 of 18,448
Just use a good ddc inbetween Mac and HMS. I use the Topping D10. Feed the HMS optical input from the ddc. You could also use a bixpower power bank to power the HMS. Job done.
Mhh interesting, sounds almost too cheap to be true ^^

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #18,280 of 18,448

For very little money you could try a USB to optical converter, which will feed digital without any electrical noise. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSFBT82/

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #18,281 of 18,448
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #18,282 of 18,448
Nothing new. Bias (being connected to low price in this instance) in our hobby is nothing new.
Money != sound quality.
Sure, but it would kind of imply that the Topping device handles the noisy USB input better than the HMS....

Mar 28, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #18,283 of 18,448
Sure, but it would kind of imply that the Topping device handles the noisy USB input better than the HMS....
It will. More importantly, you’re breaking the electrical connection from the Mac by using the Topping and toslink optical. Kinda what the Opto does.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #18,285 of 18,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back