Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #16,891 of 18,535
So the remaining problem in this configuration is the RF noise generated by HMS and transmitted electrically (or by proximity) to the TT2. This noise is capable of "masking" possible sound quality differences with TT2 when comparing battery operation and SMPS operation.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your conclusion, merely that there's a variable in your setup you haven't accounted for.

For example you can try connecting HMS to TT2 using TOSLINK. This will cut down the amount of taps, but it will improve the isolation of TT2 from HMS.
Yep. You can also just move them a little bit away from the each other too. Like don’t stack them or if you’re stacking them, put third-party feet between the two devices to put more space between them. I noticed sound quality improvement when I did that for sure, without changing anything else.

The thing about using an additional DDC like that Singxer unit is the Mscalar is already DDC and a very good one, why add another one to your chain that needs to be plugged into mains and could be another RF injection point?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #16,892 of 18,535
Here you are referring to optical input for MScaler right?
if we have battery and optical input on MScaler which is connected to Dave using BNC cables, we still get complete isolation?

My current setup is MSacler with battery and usb input and BNC connection to Dave, is this not complete isolation?

Not entirely, as you have the 2pF connecting the USB to the M scaler, and another 2pF connecting the M scaler to it's BNC outputs. That would be a total 80 ohms at 2GHz, so current could still flow into Dave's ground plane. You may find USB sounds identical to optical, depending on your setup and source, but you may find optical is better.

Hi @Rob Watts, how about something like this that can sit in between the stock M scaler power supply and the M scaler, it is supposed to filter 2Ghz, let me know your thoughts.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-ipurifier2/

It may give some attenuation from PSU noise, but it won't prevent ground currents from flowing. The M scaler is full of 2GHz RF filters on the internal PSU regulators.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #16,893 of 18,535
Not entirely, as you have the 2pF connecting the USB to the M scaler, and another 2pF connecting the M scaler to it's BNC outputs. That would be a total 80 ohms at 2GHz, so current could still flow into Dave's ground plane. You may find USB sounds identical to optical, depending on your setup and source, but you may find optical is better.

It may give some attenuation from PSU noise, but it won't prevent ground currents from flowing. The M scaler is full of 2GHz RF filters on the internal PSU regulators.
Thanks Rob, I'm not gonna bother with it then, will just use the stock supply on the M scaler, i did add a clip on ferrite for the M scaler stock power supply and it made it sound a little bit warmer. Thanks for your time.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #16,894 of 18,535
I always use the battery when flying because it will work. The mains on planes often do not work or are not turned on.

On short flights in economy (2 hours say) I just stuff the scaler in my man bag with the battery. After two hours it gets a bit toasty, but the thermal trip has never been triggered - I put the thermal trip in because of this mode of operation. On long haul, premium economy, (prices on business class has sometimes been outrageous recently) I choose a window seat, and lean the battery, Hugo M scaler and Hugo 2 against the wall. In business you have plenty of room to site the gear.
@Rob Watts this makes look silly I guess when I am traveling only with Poly+Mojo 2... both battery powered :wink: Almost makes cry for dedicated Mojo 2 M-Scaler to add something to my on-the-go setup :)

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #16,895 of 18,535
Just a bit of a laugh! The one and only concession I have made from standard gear is using a pair of Wave Cables. I’ve palled “him” (controversial) up with his mate Rita…Router! And he’s as happy as Larry. And I am happy too. 😀

EF8C0059-5E65-4CFE-B0E4-1315CC6B7504.jpeg

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #16,896 of 18,535
So the remaining problem in this configuration is the RF noise generated by HMS and transmitted electrically (or by proximity) to the TT2. This noise is capable of "masking" possible sound quality differences with TT2 when comparing battery operation and SMPS operation.

I'm not saying you're wrong in your conclusion, merely that there's a variable in your setup you haven't accounted for.

For example you can try connecting HMS to TT2 using TOSLINK. This will cut down the amount of taps, but it will improve the isolation of TT2 from HMS.
There is a possibility that HMS affects HTT2, electrically or by vicinity. I've seen people putting them side by side instead of on top of each other, just for this reason. Is the jury still out there if it matters or not? I'd like to know.
I've no place enough to side by side, and weren't they designed to be stacked vertically? I did place a spacer between them for extra air distance like 1 inch or so.

I'll come back later for a toslink vs dual bnc comparison at same kHz settings. Though whatever outcome I'll keep using dual bnc & max settings.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #16,898 of 18,535
Mar 1, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #16,899 of 18,535
Could be sorta dangerous if you forget to charge it and start listening. I think there is even something in the M Scaler manual that says it's power should never be cut off while music is playing.
What if there is a power cut?

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #16,900 of 18,535
What if there is a power cut?
I don't know, and I don't want to find out. I think if everything is cut at the same time, it should probably be fine. But if the M Scaler power is cut but the amp is not, you could get a loud noise or something. And this could be the case with the TT2, since it will stay on for about 12 seconds due to the super-capacitors.

I have my M Scaler on a battery system in part to prevent this scenario. If the power goes out in the house while I'm listening, I can manually power everything down safely.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #16,901 of 18,535
Wow, that is amazing. I have to say that I am quite surprised by the crappy quality of the Chord power supplies, to me the weakness of Chord is in the power supplies of their DACs. I hope that for the next DACs they get this fixed, using crappy SMPS is just not up to snuff.
For me , the quality of the lead and barrel plug could defo do with a re-vamp. If for no other reason than to make it look like it belongs on a premium product and not a toy. Also, but on a much lesser scale the remote doesn't scream out premium product either.

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #16,902 of 18,535
A battery on the AP will be the same as a short, i.e. 800nV - absolutely nothing like those measurements which are hundreds of times worse. And anyway, the SQ issue here is 2GHz ground loops via the mains, for which you can get complete isolation with a battery and an optical input.

I couldn't find the measurements I saw for the elite model but this is the one for the regular iPower smps.

IpowerAP.jpeg

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #16,903 of 18,535
Thanks Rob, I'm not gonna bother with it then, will just use the stock supply on the M scaler, i did add a clip on ferrite for the M scaler stock power supply and it made it sound a little bit warmer. Thanks for your time.
I recommend using clip-on ferrites to cover the entire length of the two cables for the SMPS that powers HMS: the cable from the mains plug and the cable from the SMPS to HMS.

The filtering strength adds up as you add ferrites. Additionally, by covering the full length of each cable you avoid creating unwanted RF sensitivity due to unbalanced impedances comparing one end of the cable to the other.

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #16,904 of 18,535
There is a possibility that HMS affects HTT2, electrically or by vicinity. I've seen people putting them side by side instead of on top of each other, just for this reason. Is the jury still out there if it matters or not? I'd like to know.
I've no place enough to side by side, and weren't they designed to be stacked vertically? I did place a spacer between them for extra air distance like 1 inch or so.
The nice thing about HMS is that in automatic mode: for input selection and automatic video mode latency reduction, there is no reason to interact with it any further.

This means you can place it on the floor, or place it on its side in some hidden corner of your system setup. Mine is in a cupboard, out of sight. It's not worth proudly displaying something if the sound is worse.

In the end you have to decide whether you can hear a sound quality difference due to proximity to your DAC. I think it's a worthwhile experiment and it doesn't cost any money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back