Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #16,906 of 18,586
You can turn off the Hugo M scaler and turning it back on and it will be fine - there is no warm-up time on the scaler. Curiously, I used to think that there was maybe a 10 minute warm up time on the Hugo 2, as on flights it takes 10 minutes for the best sound - but repeating the test when in a hotel room at NYC canjam I could hear no change after 30 minutes when playing back the track I used after turning on Hugo 2. So the change when flying is most likely my ears getting used to the pressure change.

I always use the battery when flying because it will work. The mains on planes often do not work or are not turned on.

On short flights in economy (2 hours say) I just stuff the scaler in my man bag with the battery. After two hours it gets a bit toasty, but the thermal trip has never been triggered - I put the thermal trip in because of this mode of operation. On long haul, premium economy, (prices on business class has sometimes been outrageous recently) I choose a window seat, and lean the battery, Hugo M scaler and Hugo 2 against the wall. In business you have plenty of room to site the gear.

A battery on the AP will be the same as a short, i.e. 800nV - absolutely nothing like those measurements which are hundreds of times worse. And anyway, the SQ issue here is 2GHz ground loops via the mains, for which you can get complete isolation with a battery and an optical input.
the thing that is amazing to me about your taking the m-scaler on an airplane is I have struggled on noisy planes to simply hear music out of HP's let alone be able to distinguish between m-scaler or not..and I am one who owns and loves my dave/blu2 and hugo 2....

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #16,908 of 18,586
Good to see how the Ifi graphs show I heard a difference. To me the IFI power X blows away the Chord stock Qutest power supply, I listened to them back and forth and after hearing the Ifi I just can't hear the Chord one, it sounds dead in comparison, and hollow. The Ifi sounds warmer but more dynamic, amazing.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #16,910 of 18,586
Good to see how the Ifi graphs show I heard a difference. To me the IFI power X blows away the Chord stock Qutest power supply, I listened to them back and forth and after hearing the Ifi I just can't hear the Chord one, it sounds dead in comparison, and hollow. The Ifi sounds warmer but more dynamic, amazing.

That’s just the basic ipower, the X and elite should measure a bit better.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #16,911 of 18,586
Take note from Rob Watts on USB to optical converters:

If you try a USB to optical converter, only use one that does not require an external PSU. Once you connect another power source, then you will get more RF current loops, potentially destroying the benefits of optical.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #16,913 of 18,586
https://www.amazon.co.uk/InLine®-Adapter-Digital-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B00DP7PWIK/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3RIYHHAEM2VS0&keywords=inline+optical+converter&qid=1677725843&sprefix=inline+optical+converter%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-3

That one is powered, from the USB.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #16,915 of 18,586
FWIW, the singxer su6 DDC runs on it's supercaps for quite a time without being powered. I hear no difference (fast comparing, not overly dead nerd rigorous) and I'm not alone according a su6 thread somewhere. I would swap that dirt cheap Meanwell smps in the blink of an eye and with vigor if benefits were readily noticed. I do use a cheap mains RF filter, if that matters.

Btw you guys got me interested in those ifi products, thanks for the headsup 👍

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #16,916 of 18,586
Take note from Rob Watts on USB to optical converters:

Exactly the reason why i kept the connection of the optical link and respectively TT2 / HMS on one and the same supply. -> no groundloop possible.

20230108_132555.jpg

And the same why i built the link inside Dave.. to take its own internal power
20221002_103612.jpg

The unit under is HMS in a Choral housing
Orange cable is optical.

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #16,917 of 18,586
Exactly the reason why i kept the connection of the optical link and respectively TT2 / HMS on one and the same supply. -> no groundloop possible.

Orange cable is optical.
Glass fiber is SOTA in connecting transport and dac - this is a real technical upgrade to HMS. You are doing all the work for Chord that should have been done already 🤦‍♂️

What protocol are you using? Your own or just spdif encoding that mux signal with clock?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #16,918 of 18,586
Battery = Green / iPower = RedYellow

image.jpg.66fb40469ee15d89d34431e8b89b8600.jpg
image.jpg.c34121e2fe37ccb36c1b9aaa0fb09012.jpg
Cool. I missed where this came from.

If known, what kind of battery was measured please, more importantly was it a non regulated voltage? I've a regulated 12V (internally 18V) in de drawer XTpower that doesn't do extremely well hearing wise after putting it trough some pases, like on par with a cheapo smps

(Saturday I might find time to compare opt vs bnc between hms - htt2.)

Mar 2, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #16,919 of 18,586
What protocol are you using? Your own or just spdif encoding that mux signal with clock?
Theres no protocol conversion, its a as simple as possible electric to light and back.

They are industrial optics which are capable of higher bandwidth to do 2x 384khz.

I guess Chord wanted to stick to commercial market audio interconnects. But toslink can just barely do 192k.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #16,920 of 18,586

20230108_132555.jpg

20221002_103612.jpg
Orange cable is optical.

Not everyone is genius mod like you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back