Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 17, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #16,726 of 18,495
Going back to the recent Japanese language article:

It's Super Scaler. This is a product of the same CHORAL range as DAVE. We also thought about the name "DAVE Scaler", but after much discussion, we decided on the name "Super Scaler". It's like the Hugo M Scaler. We are also considering a power supply in a separate enclosure. The entire system is huge, with three cabinets, but it dramatically enhances DAVE's technology.
I've realised that maybe what is being described here is a combination of scaler and DAC with a third chassis being the power supply. Perhaps the power supply drives both the scaler and DAC?

So that might mean there is no Ultima DAC in a chassis like the Ultima pre and power amps.

What other reason might there be for this to be in three chassis?

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #16,727 of 18,495
Ah, ok, i misunderstood, I thought the plan was just for a super scaler and power supply. I ve been talking nonsense then. Not the first time. Sorry and thanks for explaining. Still think there’s a place for a DAVE quality DAC without the redundancy.
Right now, I am more confused than two hours ago. This three box system might be what you're hoping for!

Feb 17, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #16,728 of 18,495
Feb 17, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #16,730 of 18,495
Not to be controversial, but a small amount of marijuana, brings greater connection with music than any upscaling.
The brain can recreate the perfect sine wave lol, if it can relax.
Well soon enough there will be a Chord Strain called "Big Cheese Chord Widow" or in the wine industry a "Rioja Chord Grand Reserve 2010" ultimately adding that extra audiophile feel to the sound......

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #16,732 of 18,495
Haahhahahahahahahahaha. You guys are hilarious.
Many are longing for new products.. having the upgraderitus.. NEED to get fresh toys 😄

Its a strong urge.. but im really happy with my stack (hopefully still after i heard the upcomings)

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #16,734 of 18,495
Many are longing for new products.. having the upgraderitus.. NEED to get fresh toys 😄

Its a strong urge.. but im really happy with my stack (hopefully still after i heard the upcomings)
Well, recently I listened to MSB and dCS with expensive speakers and in well-treated rooms, in the past I was very impressed. Now that I've owned Chord for a while and listened to these things I was not impressed at all, in fact, I heard defects in the sound. Chord is here to stay.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #16,735 of 18,495
Well, recently I listened to MSB and dCS with expensive speakers and in well-treated rooms, in the past I was very impressed. Now that I've owned Chord for a while and listened to these things I was not impressed at all, in fact, I heard defects in the sound. Chord is here to stay.
I recommend you find an Emm Labs or Playback Designs dealer. You may not like the ear candy/Christmas tree music reproduction/sound profile of dCS and MSB - I am personally not a fan but they do produce high quality pieces; and I know some people like that kind of sound.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #16,736 of 18,495
I recommend you find an Emm Labs or Playback Designs dealer. You may not like the ear candy/Christmas tree music reproduction/sound profile of dCS and MSB - I am personally not a fan but they do produce high quality pieces; and I know some people like that kind of sound.
Nothing against who likes that type of sound, I am personally not impressed by overly warm and overly smooth extra liquidity, it doesn't impress me at all. What moves me is snap, right transients-rich bass, I want to hear a bright instrument sounding bright, a dark instrument sounding dark, the variation of all the instruments and voices, Chord does that really well. Personally I thought the depth wasn't even close, the timbre and tonality was not as real, and they have zero excuses given how expensive all the equipment was and how well treated the rooms were.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #16,737 of 18,495
You heard differences, not defects. There are no defects at MSB and DCS level.

Feb 19, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #16,738 of 18,495
I’m one of those fans. Like almost everybody, who have heard these cables 🤣

I understand that it's hard to believe that such expensive cables make sense. But here is a safe receipt. Just go to Mouser.com, buy two 523-095-850-186M100 cables and at least ten (better twenty) 710-74271633 ferrites. No soldering required, no audiophile brands involved. Easy like Lego, sounds much better than stock pair. Wave Cables will have similar effect, just bigger.
I’m just about to get an HMS to pair with TT2, and want to try the DIY cables your suggest. Can you please provide some basic instructions of how to assemble the ferrites with the cables from mouser.com? Thank you much!

Feb 19, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #16,740 of 18,495
I’m just about to get an HMS to pair with TT2, and want to try the DIY cables your suggest. Can you please provide some basic instructions of how to assemble the ferrites with the cables from mouser.com? Thank you much!
These are clip-on ferrites, you are literally clipping them on a cable and that’s it. Looks like this:

A7BDE2B6-6786-4A30-B80E-30DA7561065F.jpeg

B06C0F57-33D9-469A-92E1-E3ACDA845839.jpeg

I strongly suggest to start with 20 (10 per cable) ferrites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back