Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #16,457 of 18,535
A while back, over there, got ripped apart like a steak thrown at a pack of hyena's for telling that HMS worked for me. None of hyena's had solid hands on experience with HMS themselves, them yelling that I had no proof. All tech fully aside, I refrained that place if only for the content empty pure emo loaded responses hat seem to be tolerated/encouraged by the mods. To bad actually.

Nov 17, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #16,458 of 18,535
A while back, over there, got ripped apart like a steak thrown at a pack of hyena's for telling that HMS worked for me. None of hyena's had solid hands on experience with HMS themselves, them yelling that I had no proof. All tech fully aside, I refrained that place if only for the content empty pure emo loaded responses hat seem to be tolerated/encouraged by the mods. To bad actually.
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to be over there. The audio bacon guy calls them "measurement morons." I agree.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #16,459 of 18,535
1??
This is at least round 50..
Hahahahaha
I used to go over to laugh at all the claims in regards to the Chi-Fi stuff they adore. It's the classic giant-killer statements, it feels good to be told that you can get the best at cheap prices. Throughout History there have been examples of "leaders" making such claims and leading to really bad outcomes, it's sad that many don't have critical thinking and can't choose for themselves, isn't it better to listen and see what you enjoy? They are indoctrinated to not trust their ears. Oh well, some just want to be told what to do, no critical listening, or thinking.

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #16,462 of 18,535
In case my post was recieved as just another shame-post…I know that I sometimes go a little bit over the top with the jokes🙈…Just to reiterate my intend here:
I find it still super fascinating that one can hear the effect of the M scaler even through compression and cheap gear on a youtube video running on your phone for example. I just like to know how strong this effect is or if just some hear it.
Maybe Rob has time/fun explaining why he thinks that one could still here the upscaling-effects after this long chain, as it was one of the reasons I ordered one after seeing two videos, one with, one without M scaler.

sample 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttmr4hv1lbitpu9/Chord M-Scalar Sample 1.wav?dl=0
sample 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sui1igvmy049e3/Chord M-Scalar Sample 2.wav?dl=0

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:58 AM Post #16,463 of 18,535
In case my post was recieved as just another shame-post…I know that I sometimes go a little bit over the top with the jokes🙈…Just to reiterate my intend here:
I find it still super fascinating that one can hear the effect of the M scaler even through compression and cheap gear on a youtube video running on your phone for example. I just like to know how strong this effect is or if just some hear it.
Maybe Rob has time/fun explaining why he thinks that one could still here the upscaling-effects after this long chain, as it was one of the reasons I ordered one after seeing two videos, one with, one without M scaler.

I did not put the link in here as I did not if it is allowed/appropriate to post links to other forums.
I think it is, or just post it as a reply to this message, if it is deleted, no problem.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #16,464 of 18,535
I've unleashed the full potential of the HMS

i.e. build a jplay dual windows 10 NBs (used at few hundreds each, 16GB RAM/Legacy BIOS - important) with less than 30 processes (1)

Boot up the OS from RAM (2) WinPE might be better (4)

Applied RAMDisk TC2.0/MC299LE61/ES35 tweaks (3) and load the music files to the RAM and play them from the RAM.

The sound is so analogue and relaxing!

Cd transport, regardless of price ,is history!

Expensive streamers are also unnecessary!

HQplayer or PGGB might give the same result! If I have the time, I'll explore WinPE (4) and for now I just sit back and enjoying the music!

(1) https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...community-effort/?tab=comments#comment-448787

(2) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/to...-windows-server-20162019-configuration-guide/
- use this guide http://www.acourate.com/RamWin/WinRAM Installation Guide V1.3_engl.pdf - by a German :)
- download the proven tools at #52 by pavgeris

(3) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/
- #3909 TC 2.0 by HungryBear
- #3967 by BernieK , under his signature, search for the link on how to create RAM Disk for TC 2.0

(4) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4410-windows-11-pe-audiophile-creation-guide/

For those computer audiophiles, you may want to try item (3), just a few minutes of works!

Initially I thought Chord HMS/Dac might not beneficial from those MC/LE/ES those jitter- eliminations tools because Chord claims to be jitter immunisations.

However and surprisingly, these work! I speculated that it one feeds the most accurate and unpolluted digits to HMS, the HMS will be able to reconstruct the digits more accurately. Hence more analogue sounds.

The below is the guides at #3973 by BernieK, you may download any version to try out, MC299/LE61, E35 are the recommendations, and the latest ES36 has been released:

"Hi bobby1945 and welcome to the Forum,

To get the MC299 and LE61 executables do the following.

Open the link to the archive (https://mega.nz/fold...FfDUVaxn-zLNmQ ) to get the list of MC, LE and ES files. Navigate down the list to Rewrite_data_4_51_MC299_LE61_X64.7z. Right-click on it and select Download and then Standard Download.

The 7z file will download. Unzip the downloaded file with WinRar, 7z, 7-zip or whichever unzipper you use. Left-click on the opened Rewrite_data_4_51_MC299_LE61_x64 folder, left-click on the Rewrite data 4.51 x64 sub-folder and it will open to give you a list of folders including LemonadeElitest 61 x64 and MajiorityClean 299 x64. All this works, I just tried it to confirm.

Left-click on each of those folders in turn and you will see the LemonadeElitest61.exe and MajiorityClean299.exe files, respectively.

Hope this helps,

Bernie"

ESXX can be found at Rewrite_Data_4_XX_ESXX_x64.7z files.

P/S: instructions to automatically create the RAM Disk and have TC install MC, LE and/or ES. #8 by BernieK again, a helpful guy!

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #16,465 of 18,535
Yeah, there's absolutely no reason to be over there. The audio bacon guy calls them "measurement morons." I agree.
even worse, they use their measurement mania to then tear down and mock those who own well reviewed well respected high end equipment..and it is always the same...boring

Nov 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #16,466 of 18,535
quick q - I've bought a single CHORD SIGNATURE TUNED ARAY BNC cable
I know this will only upsample to 384 with a single cable.
If I buy a second cable, does it need to be identical to the first?
(I may have made a bit of a mistake as it seems there are identical looking but not quite the same Chord cables around, the CHORD SIGNATURE SUPER ARAY, which may make me finding another one of the one I have just bought a bit difficult !
many thanks folks

Nov 21, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #16,467 of 18,535
If I buy a second cable, does it need to be identical to the first?
Mscaler will work fine also with different cables.. the DBNC link on a Chord DAC is not critical to synchronise to 705.6/768 by copper.

IF any difference is perceivable it will be left compared to the right as each coax transports a channel.

But for aesthetics and peace of mind i would find the same ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back