Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #16,441 of 18,625
Ok did some reseach, seems there is poweroak k2 powerbank with 20v + 12v outputs. Could someone comment either this design is regulated or unregulated? Another question, if i already use BNC storm cables , would it make sense to try them...has anybody tried these poweroak's already owning and using bnc wave cables?

Thanks
I have a Maxoak K2 (same as poweroak I think). The outputs from the K2 are always regulated.

Bixpower is an uncommon design. I believe it uses 9 x 18650 3000mah li-ions batteries in 3s3p configuration to get 11.1v normal voltage. While other power banks I have seen use li-po batteries in parallel, and the normal voltage is 3.7v. Idk. May be because Bixpower markets their battery as CPAP battery, while the others are laptop batteries.

I don't have WAVE cable, so I cannot comment on that.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #16,442 of 18,625
Many of the Chord fans explore any new powerbanks that are advertised, in the hope of identifying one that can match or exceed the poweradd pilot pro2.
I am one of the people who is on a quest to find the best power bank for Mscaler. :relaxed:

My current ranking:
Bixpower > Maxoak > krisdonia > Anker powerhouse (AC out to stock smps).

I don't have poweradd to compare. May be Rob can do a comparison once he've received the Bixpower.

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #16,443 of 18,625
I use a 30Ah LiFePO4 12.8V batt, about 4kg, 384Wh, you can find them between 150 - 170 euros, so with a dedicated charger say max 200euros.
Of course for cases where things are more stationary, not city mobile yet In summer I take the batt in the garden next to my deck chair feeding phone charging, chord mojo, whatever.

In house, theoretically good for 30 hours of MS playing time.
I'd stay away from AGM deep cycle, the LiFePO4 is way better in cycling and AGM has no min voltage cut-out bms.

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #16,444 of 18,625
I also have this 73Wh portable power bank.

https://www.xtpower.de/XT-20000QC3-...-DC-/-USB-battery-with-20100mAh-5V-12V-to-24V

The 12V output never led me down function wise yet not ultimate sound, the 5V was erratic, I send them a movie of it cutting out, got a new set still same behavior. I use the 12V only. They used to have 2 versions, one that powers off when no load connected, one that stays on even loadless.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #16,445 of 18,625
Simple. Dual bnc cables (i have amphenol rf) from mscaler into 2 lots of bnc to rca adaptors into an audioquest twin rca to 3.5mm stereo jack adaptor into hugo 2 coax. Then you get light blue dual coax input light on hugo 2 (automatic) with purple 705.6kHz sample rate indicator through hugo 2 glass window. Finally make sure you have white OPSR on mscaler for 1 million taps. No need to spend alot. Ignore the colours in the photo as it wasn't fully set up yet here. 705.6kHz with 44.1kHz input upscaled 16 times.
IMG_20180924_211426389.jpeg IMG_20180924_205423007.jpeg
Just wondering, is there any point in spending money on nice/fancy BNC cables if my setup involves using an AQ mini jack adapter like in the photo above?

Generally speaking, would there be any signal degradation in the above setup?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #16,447 of 18,625
Just wondering, is there any point in spending money on nice/fancy BNC cables if my setup involves using an AQ mini jack adapter like in the photo above?

Generally speaking, would there be any signal degradation in the above setup?

Thanks
I had a similar setup like that before, but got disconnected if I touched the cable. I think my adapter and/or rca-to-bnc converters were loose. Anyway, I then upgraded to Moon audio black dragon. I never has the connection issue ever since.

Regrading SQ, I hear no to tiny different between the adapter/converters/stock BNC(when they work) and Moon audio. But my system is completely powered by batteries. Each component has its own power bank/battery, so RF is not a problem.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #16,448 of 18,625
Hello,

I am planning to connect my incoming Chord M Scaler with Chord Hugo TT2 using dual BNC cables. I read through the manual for M Scaler but did not find the setting I should be using as output for the dual BNC connection.

If I connect M Scaler to Hugo TT2 with dual BMC cables will the output on the M Scaler be automatically set to the Dual BNC connections?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #16,449 of 18,625
Hello,

I am planning to connect my incoming Chord M Scaler with Chord Hugo TT2 using dual BNC cables. I read through the manual for M Scaler but did not find the setting I should be using as output for the dual BNC connection.

If I connect M Scaler to Hugo TT2 with dual BMC cables will the output on the M Scaler be automatically set to the Dual BNC connections?

Thanks in advance.
Dual coax out is always active when in full upsampling mode (button OP SR is white)
If lower setting then output 2 is off.

Nov 14, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #16,450 of 18,625
Dual coax out is always active when in full upsampling mode (button OP SR is white)
If lower setting then output 2 is off.
Thank you.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #16,451 of 18,625
I've unleashed the full potential of the HMS

i.e. build a jplay dual windows 10 NBs (used at few hundreds each, 16GB RAM/Legacy BIOS - important) with less than 30 processes (1)

Boot up the OS from RAM (2) WinPE might be better (4)

Applied RAMDisk TC2.0/MC299LE61/ES35 tweaks (3) and load the music files to the RAM and play them from the RAM.

The sound is so analogue and relaxing!

Cd transport, regardless of price ,is history!

Expensive streamers are also unnecessary!

HQplayer or PGGB might give the same result! If I have the time, I'll explore WinPE (4) and for now I just sit back and enjoying the music!

(1) https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...community-effort/?tab=comments#comment-448787

(2) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/to...-windows-server-20162019-configuration-guide/
- use this guide http://www.acourate.com/RamWin/WinRAM Installation Guide V1.3_engl.pdf - by a German :)
- download the proven tools at #52 by pavgeris

(3) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/3063-pink-hq-minorityclean/
- #3909 TC 2.0 by HungryBear
- #3967 by BernieK , under his signature, search for the link on how to create RAM Disk for TC 2.0

(4) http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4410-windows-11-pe-audiophile-creation-guide/

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #16,452 of 18,625
I know I am probably a little late on this but I just watched the ASR review off the M scaler on Youtube.
Was too busy enjoying music I guess. Don't even know how I got there but I watched the whole thing. I think I just like to challenge my own conclusions from time to time.

The reason for bringing this up again is because after I looked through the posts regarding this review I could not find anyone commenting about the two sound samples he provided on the written review. I think he only used the 2x upsampling on one of the files and the other one being passthrough.
So I followed the link on his youtube channel to the website and listend to the two samples with my phone... over bluetooth... on my dreadful car stereo...while eating...
To my amusement it was quite obvious that both samples sounded at least a bit different.
I commented on his channel but did not get an answer yet if I heard it right.

I think it would be fun if others would give it a try and post their guess or obvious findings.

(Please only show after listening to the samples and posting your result ("sample 1" or "sample 2") (or post: "bits are bits"😁 if you hear nothing change at all)
To me the second sample sounds a lot better, more musical actually, like Amir probably would like to hear😄

I hope I don't start a war here. Remember: it's just for fun🙃

Nov 16, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #16,453 of 18,625
I know I am probably a little late on this but I just watched the ASR review off the M scaler on Youtube.
Was too busy enjoying music I guess. Don't even know how I got there but I watched the whole thing. I think I just like to challenge my own conclusions from time to time.

The reason for bringing this up again is because after I looked through the posts regarding this review I could not find anyone commenting about the two sound samples he provided on the written review. I think he only used the 2x upsampling on one of the files and the other one being passthrough.
So I followed the link on his youtube channel to the website and listend to the two samples with my phone... over bluetooth... on my dreadful car stereo...while eating...
To my amusement it was quite obvious that both samples sounded at least a bit different.

I think it would be fun if others would give it a try and post their guess or obvious findings.

(Please only show after listening to the samples and posting your result ("sample 1" or "sample 2") (or post: "bits are bits"😁 if you hear nothing change at all)
To me the second sample sounds a lot better, more musical actually, like Amir probably would like to hear😄

I did have my fun trashing their arguments, 😂

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #16,454 of 18,625

Remember that the Mods deleted what felt like hundreds of ASR related posts from this thread, the DAVE thread, and the TT2 thread.
That may explain why you cannot find anyone commenting on those samples, although I think I remember some posts about the topic.
I have the feeling that you are tempting fate.

Nov 17, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #16,455 of 18,625

Round 1 !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back