Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 29, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #16,426 of 18,623
OK, on further testing, this is what I've found.

One of the BNC cables is dodgy. When I have this cable plugged into either of the BNC outputs by itself on the HMS, I get no LED on Hugo2 and no sound.

I then switch over to the "working" BNC cable. I plug this cable into either of the BNC outputs by itself, and I get the light blue LED and sound. However, the sound is very "mono" and flat - not sure if that's to be expected? When I then plug the "dodgy" BNC cable into the other BNC output, then the sound returns to full stereo like. I'm not sure how to explain this, but it appears the second dodgy BNC cable is adding to the sound quality when plugged in together with the other working BNC cable, but it just doesn't work when plugged in by itself.

So clearly both the BNC outputs work on HMS (phewwww!!) and the culprit, I think from the above diagnosis, is the cable. I have this cable from Chord Company on the way, which should hopefully produce the full HMS experience with the Hugo2.
I thought Chord HMS comes with two generic BNC cables that you can use. They’re fairly short but if you’re using Hugo 2, it shouldn’t be a problem.

You really should have two BNC cables that are the same.

Oct 29, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #16,427 of 18,623
I thought Chord HMS comes with two generic BNC cables that you can use. They’re fairly short but if you’re using Hugo 2, it shouldn’t be a problem.

You really should have two BNC cables that are the same.
They do not work with H2. H2 requires 3.5mm plug with dual connection. Moon Audio makes a good one.

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #16,429 of 18,623
OK, on further testing, this is what I've found.

One of the BNC cables is dodgy. When I have this cable plugged into either of the BNC outputs by itself on the HMS, I get no LED on Hugo2 and no sound.

I then switch over to the "working" BNC cable. I plug this cable into either of the BNC outputs by itself, and I get the light blue LED and sound. However, the sound is very "mono" and flat - not sure if that's to be expected? When I then plug the "dodgy" BNC cable into the other BNC output, then the sound returns to full stereo like. I'm not sure how to explain this, but it appears the second dodgy BNC cable is adding to the sound quality when plugged in together with the other working BNC cable, but it just doesn't work when plugged in by itself.

So clearly both the BNC outputs work on HMS (phewwww!!) and the culprit, I think from the above diagnosis, is the cable. I have this cable from Chord Company on the way, which should hopefully produce the full HMS experience with the Hugo2.
If you only use one of the mscaler dual bnc-outputs (or have one defect bnc cable in a dual bnc setup) then yes the sound is all wrong. Only use working dual BNC cables on dual BNC setup.
If you want to use only one BNC cable you must leave the dual-output unused, and use the one bnc cable in the S/PDIF output of the mscaler.
I don't know why it is like that, but I stumbled on that accidentally, it might be in the manual, idk.

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #16,430 of 18,623
Did another A/B/A test between Maxoak k2 and Bixpower BP-90-12v power banks yesterday. With Bixpower, Mscaler sounds smoother, warmer, and a little bit more details. The tiny increase of details reveals more ambient cue that improves instrument separation and front-to-back layers. The improvement is very very small, but I really like the overall result. Everything sounds more real. I have live recordings from a local harpist/violinist. Before using Bixpower, the instrument from the recordings sounds a bit off when comparing hearing it live. Now, with Bixpower, it sounds like I am listening live.

@Rob Watts, the Bixpower's battery life seems to be good (much better than Kirsdonia's). After ~7 hrs of playtime, according to its indicator, it stills had 30% left (I should had measured the actual voltage, but I forgot after got struck by a 5.1 earthquake). Anyway, I believe it can power Mscaler for >8 hrs without problem.

Edit: I shouldn't say a local harpist/violinist. He is a world-class harpist/violinist who plays in local since COVID.
Thanks. I wonder if there is an equivalent of such battery design here in Europe... it seems i cant find this one on market across eu...

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #16,431 of 18,623
@thePhones
I played the 1st innocence game of it with my Qutest (i had no Dave yet) it was a real treat with those violin sounds.. you make me wanna..
Yeah the cello and violin where breathtaking in innocence, but with requiem I find the choir more interesting. The violin/cello parts are still there but are more just for the dark parts of the game while the choir often starts when the protagonists are in a lighter mood.

Oct 30, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #16,432 of 18,623
Yeah the cello and violin where breathtaking in innocence, but with requiem I find the choir more interesting. The violin/cello parts are still there but are more just for the dark parts of the game while the choir often starts when the protagonists are in a lighter mood.
I have been intending to listen to some solo cello music for a while, because I find it very revealing to listen to try and capture the sense of being at the performance.
The little sensations of the bow sticking on the string, and then slipping slightly sounds so atmospheric that you feel you could almost touch the cello. :relaxed:

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #16,433 of 18,623
Thanks. I wonder if there is an equivalent of such battery design here in Europe... it seems i cant find this one on market across eu...
Ok did some reseach, seems there is poweroak k2 powerbank with 20v + 12v outputs. Could someone comment either this design is regulated or unregulated? Another question, if i already use BNC storm cables , would it make sense to try them...has anybody tried these poweroak's already owning and using bnc wave cables?

Thanks

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #16,434 of 18,623
Hi Vyyy
I’m using a pair of Wave Stream cables along with three Poweroak batteries feeding my M scaler, TT2 and my Ether regen. All I can say is my system has never sounded as good as it does now. Definitely an improvement over the stock Chord power supplies. And I’m pretty sure I’m hearing slight positive difference with the Ether regen being fed with the Poweroak. I always disconnect the charging leads when listening to music (recharging them overnight gives an easily full days charge next day) trying to prevent ground loops. Obviously a subjective view, but I rely on my ears to tell me yeah or nay, because, technically incapable of explaining very well what I hear. Hope that helps a bit.

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #16,435 of 18,623
While I’m here perhaps I could get some advice on using an Opto-DX arrangement. I’m streaming from an Innuos Zen mk3, using a Sablon 2020 usb cable to feed an m scaler and TT2 using Wave Stream cables between. Is there any advantage to be had incorporating the Opto-DX into the circuit?
Anybody with experience of this?
Thanks

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #16,436 of 18,623
While I’m here perhaps I could get some advice on using an Opto-DX arrangement. I’m streaming from an Innuos Zen mk3, using a Sablon 2020 usb cable to feed an m scaler and TT2 using Wave Stream cables between. Is there any advantage to be had incorporating the Opto-DX into the circuit?
Anybody with experience of this?
Thanks
For me theres no going back from optical.
But i created my own link, see my signature part 2 how to do it if you havent seen.

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #16,438 of 18,623
I am going to upgrade the power supply of my M Scaler, but most power supplies i am seeing have a little less current than the Chord supplied power supply, how much current does the M Scaled really use?
See the answer from Rob here:
It's 12W whilst operating, so just under 1A with the 15v supply.

Also, it can be powered from 9v to 15v (don't go above 15v). If you use a power bank, you don't need better BNC cables.
Correct - the M scaler PSU input is regulated down to 5v, and the 5v feeds everything via RF filters and regulators. Also, 16v could cause damage to the unit, so don't run at 16v.

Yes I did on my flight to Chicago, and like you preferred the 9v setting - smoother, warmer with better depth. But I am sure it's a Krisdonia issue, but it's something I need to look into. I have very little confidence in the Krisdonia units, as they last for 50% of the time they are supposed to. In my past I have used 4 different power bank manufactures - only PowerAdd actually was reliable and delivered exactly what they promised. But my old PowerAdd unit is 6 years old and doesn't keep it's charge any more. I can't get them in the UK any more, but I need to get one.

Yes the battery eliminated the need for better BNC cables - but that listening test was done with the PowerAdd Pilot Pro.

I am using the direct-battery output (9v-12.3v) from Bixpower BP-90 power bank to my Mscaler. I really like the result. It is better than Krisdonia and Maxoak K2 power banks.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #16,440 of 18,623
Thanks, what do you mean by a power bank, are you speaking about a power conditioner?
Robs favourite was this model https://www.lifewire.com/poweradd-pilot-pro2-review-4843548
Unfortunately it is now out of production and near impossible to source.

He has made many posts about powerbanks (for example https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.869417/page-108#post-14305166), because they allowed him to power his dacs from external battery (especially on flights) plus remove entirely the link to mains power (which was a route-in for mains bourne RF noise).
Many of the Chord fans explore any new powerbanks that are advertised, in the hope of identifying one that can match or exceed the poweradd pilot pro2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back