Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #11,461 of 18,436
^ Yeah, Rob Watts has stated that he only uses a battery for when traveling with the M Scaler and his Hugo 2. At home, he does not use one.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #11,462 of 18,436
As when people claim, for example, that only a very few special people like them with sensitive hearing can hear the differences they believe they can hear, and that people who don’t hear these differences must have inferior hearing or inferior systems. Or have I not understood?

I have only heard "special people with sensitive hearing" used as to mock those who listen for themselves. I don't think it takes special hearing to pick up on most of these things. If one can appreciate what DAVE brings over a TT2 then they can hear most of this stuff.

Of course there are some systems that won't revel certain differences. Recently on Audiophile Style someone asked if a particularly expensive outlet would help. Given his system at present, I advised him to spend his money elsewhere. It's all in how you argue this.

A quick look through your posts and it's almost as if you can't help but saying something derogatory:

"Doesn‘t matter how much overpriced wire..."
"Nope! Don’t get hustled."
"At the end of the day you have spent a stupefying amount of money money on servers, cables, supports and exotica but you only have a TT2..."
"If you have an M Scaler/DAVE and a lot of money doing nothing then by all means splash it on some four figure wires or a pimped up server, you’ll probably feel better and your sig will be more impressive, at least to those who are impressed by such things."

That last comment is really nasty. Altogether it represents a great example of "continually demeaning, bullying and belittling others" (and their choices).

A good list of NPD symptoms here with a few I listed below with my own comments in brackets:
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    • (They don't feel they actually need to listen to a "tweak" to know that it's a waste of money - and they think their words carry more weight than a person who has actually listened themselves. )
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
    • (Narcissists are drawn to special people - I think Rob's presence here draws more of this personality type here.)
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    • (To rip Nick's cables as "inferior" and "overpriced" despite so many here actually saying they like them. I think even Rob uses Nick's cables. Attacking his cables isn't just attacking Nick, it's attacking those who purchased them. Narcissists often cross this line because they lack the ability to feel empathy.)
  • Are envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
    • (Exemplified by the attitude that you need a DAVE else you are wasting your time with a lesser DAC + tweaks. Similar to the argument that a 911 is far superior to a Boxter with mods. It's terribly pretentious and conceited to think one knows for a fact that DAVE alone would bring me more listening enjoyment than what I have now.)
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
    • (Many people like having the best but this is really only a symptom when combined with the others)
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #11,463 of 18,436
I‘ve read this thread from the very beginning and I think some things might be being taken out of context.

There is noise generated by the MScaler itself which is attenuated internally but some is still transmitted over the BNC connection.

Using grounded power supplies can make this worse as unattenuated RFI can bypass the BNC and also enter the DAC via ground, and then possibly even exit the DAC and loop back to the MScaler as well. This is the worst scenario of all.

A ground lifted supply, like the stock supply, can help dampen these loops as they will be attenuatuated by a longer high impedance loop via neutral. A battery Power supply detached from its charger will prevent these loops altogether, avoiding the worst case situation.

But apart from avoiding loops, power supplies won’t do anything for the more limited RFI Generated by the MScaler itself and transmitted directly via the BNC.

At least that’s what I have taken from the multiple discussions about this issue.
So if I have interpreted it correctly, ferrited cables still help with the BNC transmitted noise. That isn’t to say that non-DIY BNC options are not grossly over priced. But let’s not get that confused with helpful safety advice of avoiding putting too much voltage into your loved devices when exploring battery power supply options.

Is this actually the case with the mscaler? I thought only the Blu II had this issue and the mscaler’s only issue was 2.5ghz generated by the power supply.

Found some posts in the Blu II and seems same issue but couldn’t use battery to solve with Blu II so ferrites on the bnc cable was main option.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #11,464 of 18,436
So if I have interpreted it correctly, ferrited cables still help with the BNC transmitted noise. That isn’t to say that non-DIY BNC options are not grossly over priced. But let’s not get that confused with helpful safety advice of avoiding putting too much voltage into your loved devices when exploring battery power supply options.

I understood Rob to have said that the battery power is an alternative to ferrited BNCs. For example here:

Yes a car battery is the best possible PSU - huge dynamic current, ultra low impedance and no noise. But the real benefit is batteries, and isolation from the mains, so a car battery is not needed; just use a USB power bank.

TT2 doesn't benefit from it anyway, because of the super caps and the filtering; disconnecting the PSU has no change in measurements or sound quality. The M scaler is helped by using a battery, as it eliminates the 2GHz ground return currents, solving at a stroke the BNC cabling issue.

and here:

But if you want to almost completely isolate the M scaler from the DAC then use a battery power bank (so long as you site it correctly) - then the loop impedance becomes very high, and then the BNC cables no longer have an impact on SQ as no current can now flow as there is no longer a loop.

The downside of the battery pack is the need to charge it, but it is pretty simple to keep it on its own charger connected through to the M Scaler and just disconnect the charger when you want to listen critically. The downside of the ferrited cables is the non-trivial expense, and the difficult mechanical load they place on the BNC connectors unless you are very careful and your rack and equipment layout is suitable.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #11,465 of 18,436
I understood Rob to have said that the battery power is an alternative to ferrited BNCs. For example here:

and here:

The downside of the battery pack is the need to charge it, but it is pretty simple to keep it on its own charger connected through to the M Scaler and just disconnect the charger when you want to listen critically. The downside of the ferrited cables is the non-trivial expense, and the difficult mechanical load they place on the BNC connectors unless you are very careful and your rack and equipment layout is suitable.

Thanks for posting this in one place.

Yeah the battery really isn’t the big of deal. Plug it in at night is all and unplug from mscaler. Takes all of 2 seconds. I guess if listen over 6 hours might be more of a pain. Can also pick up 2nd battery to swap out and still much cheaper than new cables. Not sure if the pro 5 runs longer than 6 hours since that quote was for older models.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #11,466 of 18,436
Thanks for posting this in one place.

Yeah the battery really isn’t the big of deal. Plug it in at night is all and unplug from mscaler. Takes all of 2 seconds. I guess if listen over 6 hours might be more of a pain. Can also pick up 2nd battery to swap out and still much cheaper than new cables. Not sure if the pro 5 runs longer than 6 hours since that quote was for older models.
What I was trying to say is you don’t actually need to unplug it from the M Scaler at all. Just leave it connected. It will charge to full and your M Scaler will be ready to listen to without doing anything. Then when you want to listen seriously, just pull out the connector from the batteries charger, or pull out the chargers plug. One second, one connection. As long as there is no connection between the battery and the mains you are good to go. Then restore the connection when you’ve finished listening and the battery will charge. And you can still listen anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #11,467 of 18,436
What I was trying to say is you don’t actually need to unplug it from the M Scaler at all. Just leave it connected. It will charge to full and your M Scaler will be ready to listen to without doing anything. Then when you want to listen seriously, just pull out the connector from the batteries charger, or pull out the chargers plug. One second. As long as there is no connection between the battery and the mains you are good to go. Then restore the connection when you’ve finished listening and the battery will charge. And you can still listen anyway.

Well that’s even easier.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #11,468 of 18,436
I've done some power filtering. Each step has made a noticible difference in clarity, detail, depth. I haven't bothered with bnc interconnects because I couldn't make up my mind for so long. I eventually decided to make my own because I wanted something specific, not published on anyone's website.

And, now that I did. At first I thought it was a small improvement. But I just can't put this listening down. None of the other changes I did, did that to such an extent. I'm finding by the minute more and more. It's becoming so pronounced, I'm just becoming so drowned by the music. To sound clîche, new depths I haven't expected.

I've had to reevaluate, and these Oyaide Silver Solid Core ferrited cables has made the biggest improvement to my system. It's a very worthy upgrade, wether DIY, or professional made cables.

The level of detail is improved with the blackest of backgrounds. Bass seems deeper and more tight and controlled. It seems my TT2 is more powerful... I didn't expect that.

So much to say, you really should try some improved transfer system from MScaler to your DAC. It's the best improvement in my system so far. What's next? Always something!

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #11,469 of 18,436
the wave stream bnc cables place zero mechanical stress on the bnc connectors due to the solid rubber moulding around the top of each cable. in my case anyhow.

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #11,471 of 18,436
You should not power the M Scaler at 16v. It should be 15v max. My post was to reinforce the message that some models of the Poweradd are over-delivering at stated voltages, and that this should be borne in mind by those who think they are taking only a marginal risk in powering the M Scaler at 16v with a PP pack.

That said, you can safely, and to even better performance levels, use the Pilot Pro packs at 16v with the M Scaler if used with one of these double-regulated power supplies - https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm. Ordering one of these units with pre-regulation set at 15v and output regulation set to either 14v or 13.5v (which is available but not currently showing as an option on the website), you would feed with 16v via a dc cable and have a very clean and very tightly regulated 14v or 13.5v feed into the M Scaler via another dc cable (not supplied). These units are becoming increasingly popular since getting the seal of approval from some highly-respected forum members, for example - https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...dio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1039386 Of course, you would probably void your warranty using one of these units (if you haven’t already done so using a Pilot Pro).

It's a shame when folk have to regulate power from a battery.

More importantly though, isn't the current from this unit too low? That unit you linked https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm is only 1.5A at 15V. Whereas I thought the M-Scaler pulled more than 1.5A. Might be wrong, but I checked the M-Scaler website and they stipulate a 4A PSU. That doesn't mean the M-Scaler uses the full 4A, but it is something I would want to be sure of.

Just saying in case you had not noticed.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #11,472 of 18,436
It's a shame when folk have to regulate power from a battery.

More importantly though, isn't the current from this unit too low? That unit you linked https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm is only 1.5A at 15V. Whereas I thought the M-Scaler pulled more than 1.5A. Might be wrong, but I checked the M-Scaler website and they stipulate a 4A PSU. That doesn't mean the M-Scaler uses the full 4A, but it is something I would want to be sure of.

Just saying in case you had not noticed.
Thanks. I was aware of this when ordering a couple of these units, which work very well with my M Scaler, but they do get hot.

romaz mentions in the post I included a link to just how well these units work with his TT2, which I believe draws more current than the M Scaler.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #11,473 of 18,436
I thought the M-Scaler pulled more than 1.5A. Might be wrong, but I checked the M-Scaler website and they stipulate a 4A PSU.
From memory, I measured HMS power draw to be 18W AC. This broadly translates to 1.2A at 15V DC.
But there's usually an advantage in having some spare capacity in the p/s.

Does this RFI affect all upscaled settings or only the highest dual BNC ?
RFI affects all settings on all components, not just Chord products. We just happen to be talking about it a lot on this thread :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #11,475 of 18,436
From memory, I measured HMS power draw to be 18W AC. This broadly translates to 1.2A at 15V DC.
But there's usually an advantage in having some spare capacity in the p/s.

RFI affects all settings on all components, not just Chord products. We just happen to be talking about it a lot on this thread :)
Sorry I wasn’t clearer in the query but referring specifically to the M Scaler, so it should affect all four settings equally or more so on the highest dual
BNC cable setting ?
Double cables equate to double the problem maybe ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back