Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 4, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #10,261 of 18,496
Thanks for sharing Ards. I am currently auditioning the dCS and other streamers with the Wave cables and would endorse your findings with the caveat that the rest of the chain has to be of similar quality (as yours is) or the full benefit wont be heard.

Mar 4, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #10,262 of 18,496
The main reason for wanting to try one is absolute sound quality - a USB stick directly connected to my streamer sounds better than the same files streamed over ethernet (and I've heard the same with all streamers I've tried). I've *almost* removed the gap in quality but it's still there, which makes me think the network hardware (cables/power) is somehow degrading the sound compared to a local source and so for critical listening CD might offer improvements. The BluMKII could still act as an MScaler for the streamer while also offering direct local source playback. On the other hand, I suppose I could just fill a USB stick with all my favourite albums.....
Agreed. I have yet to hear a streamer or custom computer based solution that sounds better than the Blu Mk II (and I include the Pink Faun and Aurender W20SE in that). The Blu Mk II’s key benefit is the utility it provides in testing because you can flip between the USB input and it’s native CD player as an unadulterated reference point.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #10,263 of 18,496
The main reason for wanting to try one is absolute sound quality - a USB stick directly connected to my streamer sounds better than the same files streamed over ethernet (and I've heard the same with all streamers I've tried). I've *almost* removed the gap in quality but it's still there, which makes me think the network hardware (cables/power) is somehow degrading the sound compared to a local source and so for critical listening CD might offer improvements. The BluMKII could still act as an MScaler for the streamer while also offering direct local source playback. On the other hand, I suppose I could just fill a USB stick with all my favourite albums.....
That 'somehow' that's degrading a sound is that your source is a generator of RF noise ...that is the digital logic sets off MHz/Ghz energy that travels back up the power cables or any metal signal cables or even via the chassis itself. The whole chain then acts like a big antenna and path to get RF energy to your DAC where it upsets the final D/A stage. So all your efforts to select the best source and cable combination has really been a grand science experiment in subjective RF noise reduction.

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #10,265 of 18,496
Whazzap it was actually your thread from years ago that set me on path to get CX and EX. They are on the way.

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #10,266 of 18,496
Whazzap it was actually your thread from years ago that set me on path to get CX and EX. They are on the way.
Great, I'm sure you will love em. Let us know. Im not sure other than they are expensive why head fi isn't all over antipodes?

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #10,267 of 18,496
That 'somehow' that's degrading a sound is that your source is a generator of RF noise ...that is the digital logic sets off MHz/Ghz energy that travels back up the power cables or any metal signal cables or even via the chassis itself. The whole chain then acts like a big antenna and path to get RF energy to your DAC where it upsets the final D/A stage. So all your efforts to select the best source and cable combination has really been a grand science experiment in subjective RF noise reduction.

I am convinced that you are correct, which is why I’m taking every pragmatic step I can to mitigate it: lan isolators, better power supplies, power regeneration, better cables, etc etc. Massive progress has been made, but still not quite there...

Mar 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #10,268 of 18,496
Great, I'm sure you will love em. Let us know. Im not sure other than they are expensive why head fi isn't all over antipodes?
Well they seem to be more well known in the speaker realms. I also think highly of Lumin streamers also but their app on Android is a bit wonky. I have both the U1 for speakers and the EX/CX planned for the headphone set up and am pretty excited for their arrival.

How I got into servers/streamers was from this other user here by the name of Simorag, he is a very polite guy, and he indirectly directed me towards having a dedicated streamer/server versus coming out of a computer (as I have been doing for the past decade).

I think antipodes are not as well known on head-fi probably due to price and also that they are somewhat newer? Innuos seems to be more popular and also makes great products, they also have rippers built in.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #10,269 of 18,496
Well they seem to be more well known in the speaker realms. I also think highly of Lumin streamers also but their app on Android is a bit wonky. I have both the U1 for speakers and the EX/CX planned for the headphone set up and am pretty excited for their arrival.

How I got into servers/streamers was from this other user here by the name of Simorag, he is a very polite guy, and he indirectly directed me towards having a dedicated streamer/server versus coming out of a computer (as I have been doing for the past decade).

I think antipodes are not as well known on head-fi probably due to price and also that they are somewhat newer? Innuos seems to be more popular and also makes great products, they also have rippers built in.
Don’t want to high jack this thread but innous seems over hyped, antipodes from custom tuned boards, has superior Internals, but agree the speaker world embraced antipodes More. It’s pricy I think for a couple of g hp, but worth it.

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #10,270 of 18,496
Don’t want to high jack this thread but innous seems over hyped, antipodes from custom tuned boards, has superior Internals, but agree the speaker world embraced antipodes More. It’s pricy I think for a couple of g hp, but worth it.

also not wanting to go off topic but the subject of servers has been increasingly attracting my attention because I have had the Innuos Phoenix on home demo to use (plot spoiler - It is amazing) with my Innuos Zenith SE and I have been sufficiently impressed to widen the search. I have to declare a loyalty to Sean Jacobs who designs the Innuos power supplies and who has provided my amazing external power supply for the Dave but even so, the antipodes kit keeps calling me in like sirens!

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #10,271 of 18,496
also not wanting to go off topic but the subject of servers has been increasingly attracting my attention because I have had the Innuos Phoenix on home demo to use (plot spoiler - It is amazing) with my Innuos Zenith SE and I have been sufficiently impressed to widen the search. I have to declare a loyalty to Sean Jacobs who designs the Innuos power supplies and who has provided my amazing external power supply for the Dave but even so, the antipodes kit keeps calling me in like sirens!
External power supply for Dave ……
Could you say more on this!

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #10,273 of 18,496
it has been said blu 2 CD is the ultimate reference.

Mar 6, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #10,275 of 18,496
So ive got the TT2 now. Just how much of an improvement is the Mscaler on the sound of the TT2? I love the TT2 sound. Does the Scaler
keep the signature of TT2 and just improve it. Or are the changes more pronounced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back