Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #10,246 of 18,533

amazingly smooth saxophone on the song Bedouin Trail. It’s something else.
It‘s a good album. Even better live ..

CEB902A8-85FA-483F-AF5C-AA97F0936119.jpeg

Zakir Hussain is extraordinary, a force of nature, someome who just is music. You heard John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain and Shankar Mahadevan’s new cd “Is That So?”? It is wonderful, very special.

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #10,247 of 18,533
E105209D-50C1-4241-B099-04240BDB6D04.jpeg
amazingly smooth saxophone on the song Bedouin Trail. It’s something else.

Sorry, I forgot to say thank you for that offering which I have downloaded from Qobuz and am enjoying immensely.

Mar 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #10,248 of 18,533
did someone disturb the peaceful flow of this thread? let me at them...:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #10,251 of 18,533
I currently have a TT2 and mScaler. I am thinking of upgrading to DAVE and Mscaler. I am thinking though that the mscaler effectively makes the important parts of DAVE non essential, or am I confused? What are the benefits to going to Dave over TT2 with the mscaler in the mix?

Mar 3, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #10,252 of 18,533
I currently have a TT2 and mScaler. I am thinking of upgrading to DAVE and Mscaler. I am thinking though that the mscaler effectively makes the important parts of DAVE non essential, or am I confused? What are the benefits to going to Dave over TT2 with the mscaler in the mix?

just think HUGE benefits and improvements in sound quality and you will have got the idea. Seriously though, much improved transparency, clearer and more detailed bass, lovely soft top end, possibly even more of a difference between TT2 and Dave when the MScaler is added in the mix.

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #10,253 of 18,533
huge step up for sure. but the rest of your gear//chain needs to be on the same level or resolving enough or the step up to dave becomes one of diminishing returns IMHO. this can be accomplished step by step.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #10,254 of 18,533
Wanted to share my recent experience/journey with MScaler/DAVE. My digital front end has been lagging my vinyl in terms of sheer enjoyment for some time now - without wanting to ignite a vinyl vs digital debate, the vinyl *for me* has a presence that is completely lacking in digital - vinyl sounds "alive" whereas digital is a facsimile of that experience, often feeling flat and unengaging. So I've been moving through various frontends/backends over the past couple of years determined to push digital closer to what I experience with vinyl and bit by bit I'm progressing. Having been a Chord fan since the Mojo I made my way from the Qutest (and then adding MScaler), via the TT2 to the DAVE over the past year. Each step a major improvement, especially the DAVE, but something was still lacking and satisfaction was low. Having recently settled on Valhalla 2 digital cables but having seen regular references to WAVE cables here I thought I'd take a look at them. I'm so glad I did! Digital cables often make subtle differences, which take quite some A/B listening to discern, but the WAVE (Storm in this case) absolutely *demolished* the Valhallas. The difference was immediately apparent and not at all subtle. Where the Valhallas rendered a slightly out of focus and flatter image the WAVEs popped it into clear 3D, the background dropped away and the soundstage was thrown wide open. Dynamics, transients etc all hugely improved: the MScaler/DAVE finally allowed to fully shine and the result is glorious. Digital is now not only tolerable, but genuinely enjoyable! I've been listening to these cables for a month now and there's simply no going back.

Anyhow, it seems to me that these cables are mandatory if one wishes to get the best from the MScaler and so I wanted to add my endorsement. Thanks to those here who have previously shared their experiences, without which I may not have found these cables at all. They are certainly now a mandatory part of my digital arsenal moving forward.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #10,255 of 18,533
Wanted to share my recent experience/journey with MScaler/DAVE. My digital front end has been lagging my vinyl in terms of sheer enjoyment for some time now - without wanting to ignite a vinyl vs digital debate, the vinyl *for me* has a presence that is completely lacking in digital - vinyl sounds "alive" whereas digital is a facsimile of that experience, often feeling flat and unengaging. So I've been moving through various frontends/backends over the past couple of years determined to push digital closer to what I experience with vinyl and bit by bit I'm progressing. Having been a Chord fan since the Mojo I made my way from the Qutest (and then adding MScaler), via the TT2 to the DAVE over the past year. Each step a major improvement, especially the DAVE, but something was still lacking and satisfaction was low. Having recently settled on Valhalla 2 digital cables but having seen regular references to WAVE cables here I thought I'd take a look at them. I'm so glad I did! Digital cables often make subtle differences, which take quite some A/B listening to discern, but the WAVE (Storm in this case) absolutely *demolished* the Valhallas. The difference was immediately apparent and not at all subtle. Where the Valhallas rendered a slightly out of focus and flatter image the WAVEs popped it into clear 3D, the background dropped away and the soundstage was thrown wide open. Dynamics, transients etc all hugely improved: the MScaler/DAVE finally allowed to fully shine and the result is glorious. Digital is now not only tolerable, but genuinely enjoyable! I've been listening to these cables for a month now and there's simply no going back.

Anyhow, it seems to me that these cables are mandatory if one wishes to get the best from the MScaler and so I wanted to add my endorsement. Thanks to those here who have previously shared their experiences, without which I may not have found these cables at all. They are certainly now a mandatory part of my digital arsenal moving forward.

Thanks for sharing Ards.

What source are you using for DAVE/Mscaler?

G

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #10,256 of 18,533
Thanks for sharing Ards.

What source are you using for DAVE/Mscaler?

ROON/NAS > 2 x SoTM switch (internal clock upgrades), each with Farad3 power supply > JCAT signature ethernet > Bel Canto Stream > MScaler > DAVE

Have been through quite a few streamers over the past 12 months (UltraRendu, Auralic G1, Innuos Zennith MK3, dCS Network Bridge) before settling on the Bel Canto.

Would love to try Blu MKII, but am currently out of rack space :/

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #10,257 of 18,533
No antipodes audio love?

Mar 4, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #10,258 of 18,533
ROON/NAS > 2 x SoTM switch (internal clock upgrades), each with Farad3 power supply > JCAT signature ethernet > Bel Canto Stream > MScaler > DAVE

Have been through quite a few streamers over the past 12 months (UltraRendu, Auralic G1, Innuos Zennith MK3, dCS Network Bridge) before settling on the Bel Canto.

Would love to try Blu MKII, but am currently out of rack space :/

Thanks.

Mscaler has better RF rejection than BluMKII and also the option of powering with a battery/LPS c.f with SMPS on BluMkII. So unless you have a large CD collection Mscaler is better.

I bought mine early in the piece before Mscaler was released. I personally don't listen to CD anymore as I like the convenience of a server (I don't stream). CD is useful for friends who don't use a server themselves.

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #10,259 of 18,533
Actually antipodes ripper is fantastic and produces a better result than flac files imo. However I don’t buy cds

Mar 4, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #10,260 of 18,533
Mscaler has better RF rejection than BluMKII and also the option of powering with a battery/LPS c.f with SMPS on BluMkII. So unless you have a large CD collection Mscaler is better.

The main reason for wanting to try one is absolute sound quality - a USB stick directly connected to my streamer sounds better than the same files streamed over ethernet (and I've heard the same with all streamers I've tried). I've *almost* removed the gap in quality but it's still there, which makes me think the network hardware (cables/power) is somehow degrading the sound compared to a local source and so for critical listening CD might offer improvements. The BluMKII could still act as an MScaler for the streamer while also offering direct local source playback. On the other hand, I suppose I could just fill a USB stick with all my favourite albums.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back