Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #9,976 of 18,495
Maybe a Dave in a housing that is stackable without a $2k stand.

It’s called a table and you put them side by side.

A simple concept but I think it might catch on. :laughing:

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #9,977 of 18,495
It’s called a table and you put them side by side.

A simple concept but I think it might catch on. :laughing:

It would just be nice to have a Dave in a form factor similar to the TT2 but with the build quality of the Dave. Maybe even just put the Dave and mscaler in a single chassis.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #9,978 of 18,495
Just for fun, here are my predictions for Chord future product developments:

I think the Dave name will be retired. For brits the name reminds us of a PM who liked to $&#@ pigs, and who drove the country off a cliff with his Brexit insanity.
I think the new high end DAC/Amp will be the CHUCK (Chord Hyper Upscaling Converter). The name will have more appeal in the lucrative american market, where every second bloke is Chuck or Bud.

The Chuck will have a 1M tap upscaler built in, in a separate milled compartment of a solid aluminium billet chassis, with the upscaler and Dac each having their own dedicated power supply. There will be more aluminium between the upscaler and Dac section than what is currently there with two separate boxes, but it will be a much cleaner installation and any debate about BNC cable ferrites will finally be put to rest. The Dac section will have a beefed up version of the TT2 supercap power supply.

This is true, but you only have half the name. The DAC will be called Chuck and the upscaler will be called Up, and they will be sold together as the UpChuck.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #9,979 of 18,495
Does anyone have a functioning crystal ball?

I would bet taps to donuts (bignets?) that the two ends of the product families get attention, in a way that doesn't undermine the recent releases on the intermediate lines. here is what my magic 8 ball is thinking:

* Mojo2 - add DX input (mMojo2), leave taps and pulse elements the same (to not mess with Hugo2), but add digital EQ in support of headphones and justify the "2" in the name
* mScaler replacement for Choral range (DAVE m++Scaler?) - Choral version of HMS, no CD, so that leaves adding taps and digital EQ (and power/RFI improvements :wink: as the big adds? (this is wishful thinking for me...eager to hear if more taps make a difference or not)

DX amps at higher wattage are tough. That's a lot of power/current to manage against crazy speaker load profiles (and screw ups) without melting down/blowing up. I hope this is a 2020 product launch, but I suspect I'll need to be happy with my TT2 for at least another year.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #9,980 of 18,495
Just for fun, here are my predictions for Chord future product developments:

I think the Dave name will be retired. For brits the name reminds us of a PM who liked to $&#@ pigs, and who drove the country off a cliff with his Brexit insanity.
I think the new high end DAC/Amp will be the CHUCK (Chord Hyper Upscaling Converter). The name will have more appeal in the lucrative american market, where every second bloke is Chuck or Bud.

The Chuck will have a 1M tap upscaler built in, in a separate milled compartment of a solid aluminium billet chassis, with the upscaler and Dac each having their own dedicated power supply. There will be more aluminium between the upscaler and Dac section than what is currently there with two separate boxes, but it will be a much cleaner installation and any debate about BNC cable ferrites will finally be put to rest. The Dac section will have a beefed up version of the TT2 supercap power supply.
and more important the price: 1.500 pound

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #9,981 of 18,495
I would bet taps to donuts (bignets?) that the two ends of the product families get attention, in a way that doesn't undermine the recent releases on the intermediate lines. here is what my magic 8 ball is thinking:

* Mojo2 - add DX input (mMojo2), leave taps and pulse elements the same (to not mess with Hugo2), but add digital EQ in support of headphones and justify the "2" in the name
* mScaler replacement for Choral range (DAVE m++Scaler?) - Choral version of HMS, no CD, so that leaves adding taps and digital EQ (and power/RFI improvements :wink: as the big adds? (this is wishful thinking for me...eager to hear if more taps make a difference or not)

DX amps at higher wattage are tough. That's a lot of power/current to manage against crazy speaker load profiles (and screw ups) without melting down/blowing up. I hope this is a 2020 product launch, but I suspect I'll need to be happy with my TT2 for at least another year.

This post from Rob certainly implies no movement with the DX amps so any dx amp any year soon might seem remote.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-931#post-15434179

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #9,982 of 18,495
Maybe a Dave in a housing that is stackable without a $2k stand.

When I got my Blu2 to go with my DAVE, I got these to stack them on top of each other:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O5A2EA

worked like a charm

Knowing what I know now, there are different versions of these sorbothane pads that are spec'ed for different amounts of weight (they tune the formula to be optimally vibration absorbing at the target weight). I did not know that when I bought these so i can't vouch if they're the right formulation for stacking DAVE, but they sure did stack nice.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #9,983 of 18,495
When I got my Blu2 to go with my DAVE, I got these to stack them on top of each other:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O5A2EA

worked like a charm

Knowing what I know now, there are different versions of these sorbothane pads that are spec'ed for different amounts of weight (they tune the formula to be optimally vibration absorbing at the target weight). I did not know that when I bought these so i can't vouch if they're the right formulation for stacking DAVE, but they sure did stack nice.

Unless I end up buying a Dave and selling the Bartok I am ok for now. I am waiting for the Dave 2.

I will be trying the mscaler with the Bartok this weekend. I am interested to see if it makes any difference with it as it upsamples everything to dxd or dsd. We will also compare the Dave mscaler to the msb premire dac with the upgraded power supply and femto clock.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #9,984 of 18,495
This post from Rob certainly implies no movement with the DX amps so any dx amp any year soon might seem remote.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-931#post-15434179

I think something like a mojo 2 is going to get released, simply because mojo has had a price cut of 100 quid.

Maybe even a mojo 2 with built in poly ?

As for the dx amps, I'll believe it when I see it, as you'd think that since chord are releasing products with dx outputs aka mscaler, you'd think they would hurry the fux up and release a product that can actually use them now, not 5+ years in the future. Which reminds me of mojo's special function, which magically turned into no function at all.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #9,985 of 18,495

WRT Mojo2, why would mScaler input be a compelling feature, for a portable unit? I would rather see an increase in taps and or pulse elements for better portable sound. Also, how would eq settings be implemented and controlled? I guess they could add another ball, but I would also like to see the form factor preserved for Poly compatibility. And, I think Poly should be the place eq and cross-feed could be implemented and controlled with GoFigure.

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #9,987 of 18,495
Yes the 7th gen ipod touch streaming roon to hms is much more energetic and musical than cca. i power it with a 20,000mah energizer powerbank when it needs power giving me in excess of 20 hrs playtime with no fussing about. ipod touch battery is around 1000mah. best sound yet from my hms/tts. screen blacked out and ipod touch stripped right down. cost £240 for an endgame source. just need a supra certified usb cable.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #9,988 of 18,495
Yes the 7th gen ipod touch streaming roon to hms is much more energetic powerbank and musical than cca. i power it with a 20,000mah energizer when it needs power giving me in excess of 20 hrs playtime with no fussing about. ipod touch battery is around 1000mah. best sound yet from my hms/tts. screen blacked out and ipod touch stripped right down. cost £240 for an endgame source. just need a supra certified usb cable.

Thanks. Can you elaborate on what exactly you mean by stripped down? How close is it to using a standard iPhone? I think I have an iphone camera kit somewhere so I could give it a try before buying an ipod touch. Are there any tricks to setting up Roon as an endpoint on an ipod/iphone?

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #9,989 of 18,495
Thanks. Can you elaborate on what exactly you mean by stripped down? How close is it to using a standard iPhone? I think I have an iphone camera kit somewhere so I could give it a try before buying an ipod touch. Are there any tricks to setting up Roon as an endpoint on an ipod/iphone?

Not sure this will exactly answer your question but I use an iPhone XS Max as my main source into HMS and it sounds fantastic. I typically use offline Qobuz albums. I turn off WiFi on my phone as well. I’ve tried airplane mode but there is no difference with that setting and just having the WiFi off only.

I have used the Apple CCK-> AQ Jitterbug ->USB cable and it’s great. I currently use a voodoo magic silver cable Lightning to usb; not sure there is much difference than CCK but I do enjoy spending too much money on audio for no reason.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,990 of 18,495
set private zone in roon on the i device to off and you can control it from the core without handling it. set the screen to go dark after 5mins. delete all unnecessary apps. it's an iphone with no cellular. disable all home page controls. that should cover things. i start with a fully charged i pod touch which gives me around 4 hours. i have an energizer 20,000mah power bank charged and ready. when the ipod battery is low plug in the powerbank and disengage when ipod is full. if you repeat this cycle you should get 20-30 hours of play time with no fuss. at the end i just plug the ipod and powerbank into an anker powerport 5 wall charger ready for next session. i've tried many combos for sources but the stripped down ipod touch is so low powered with such a small form factor the sound into hms/tt2 is really something special. i'm hearing extra clarity like crystal and small level details in music in tracks i know that i have never heard before.

i'll add a supra usb cable making that £270 for a source to challenge any hi end streamer with the key that my solution gives perfect usb isolation on battery. the cca sounded flat in comparison. i'm copying Rob's recommendation that his motorola phone was one of the best he's hearing now with perfect usb isolation. i've heard alot of sources and this simple set up is up there with the best. you just need to learn how to operate it efficiently with minimum fuss. much much better than iphone with cellular. app for ipod touch roon is in app store. with a 20,000mah powerbank ready to use with a small ipod touch battery 20-30 hours wifi music streaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back