CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 22, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #13,951 of 25,833
It's even worse with just one BNC cable. It just cuts in and out and in and out

I see your Dave is right next to your amp. Have you tried moving it away from the amp or move the amp? It shouldn’t make any difference but is worth a try.

Is your Dave new from a dealer? If so and if you can’t quickly resolve it then maybe ask if you can borrow their demo unit to see if that works fine in your system. Rarely the odd new Dave has been known to have similar issues (but not normally as bad) and was solved when sent back for adjustment.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #13,952 of 25,833
I'm going to bed. I'm gonna stay up all night debugging if I'm not careful...hahaha.
I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for everybody's help
Go to your dealer. As has been mentioned on this forum and other communications i've read, some newer Dave units are problematic (a component change, i think). Definitely, with factory (or non exotic) coax cables, this should not happen.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #13,953 of 25,833
Go to your dealer. As has been mentioned on this forum and other communications i've read, some newer Dave units are problematic (a component change, i think). Definitely, with factory (or non exotic) coax cables, this should not happen.
Thanks, I’m going to contact my dealer. Hopefully I can get a working DAVE

Jan 22, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #13,954 of 25,833
Well, at least the USB option still works on the DAVE. I very much do miss the M-scaler though. Everything sounds so much more digital that I was used to when using the M-Scaler with the TT2. However, I see the benefits of switching to a DAVE. The resolution is much higher than the TT2. These textures I'm hearing on the bass are amazing.

Once the BNC issue gets fixed (with a new DAVE or whatever), I can't wait to hear what an M-scaled DAVE sounds like...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #13,955 of 25,833
However, I see the benefits of switching to a DAVE. The resolution is much higher than the TT2. These textures I'm hearing on the bass are amazing.

Yes, exactly. I just love the bass detail with the Dave compared to TT2.

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #13,956 of 25,833
I have a bunch of external amps and I keep coming back to the Dave / M Scaler headphone out for Abyss. I have the Benchmark HPA4 on trial, and while it's the closest amp I've heard so far to the Dave output - the HPA4 has a hint of dryness to the midrange, whereas Dave is completely smooth.

I don't sense any lack of power or straining with the Abyss at any volume. Though with some dynamic recordings you just don't have quite the volume you need (I'm always super nervous to go past +3db and that I'll clip).

Rob - any news on the digital amps? There has got to be a way to maintain this quality while retaining the smoothness. I'm up for suggestions on headphone or speaker amps that I haven't tried that - while may not be 100% transparent - will not lose that smooth, analog feel.

I wish I could rig a TT2 to be a headphone amplifier for the Dave.

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #13,957 of 25,833
try the formula s/ powerman combo that was made to work with the abyss TC...outstanding combo, while nothing is as transparent as straight out of the dave it is damn good

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #13,958 of 25,833
try the formula s/ powerman combo that was made to work with the abyss TC...outstanding combo, while nothing is as transparent as straight out of the dave it is damn good

Yup - I've had it for quite some time and I do like it. That said, I wouldn't even describe my issue as transparency with Dave (though it's certainly there) - but smoothness, which I find is unmatched.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #13,959 of 25,833
. I'm up for suggestions on headphone or speaker amps that I haven't tried that - while may not be 100% transparent - will not lose that smooth, analog feel.

Try a Pass Labs power amp connected direct to Dave for speakers. For me they retain all of Dave’s qualities but with a huge amount of extra grunt. I originally had the XA30.8 which in truth was powerful enough but in a moment of wild madness I upgraded to the XA60.8 monos.

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #13,960 of 25,833
Try a Pass Labs power amp connected direct to Dave for speakers. For me they retain all of Dave’s qualities but with a huge amount of extra grunt. I originally had the XA30.8 which in truth was powerful enough but in a moment of wild madness I upgraded to the XA60.8 monos.
Benchmark ahb2 is a better choice if you want to feed dave directly into a power amp as if has far less distortion than any other power amp plus it has variable gain to adjust for normal listening levels which is the greatest feature of this amp. Low gain is more than enough for normal day to day listening levels which allows dave to operate in its higher operatinh range.

Jan 24, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #13,961 of 25,833
I have a bunch of external amps and I keep coming back to the Dave / M Scaler headphone out for Abyss. I have the Benchmark HPA4 on trial, and while it's the closest amp I've heard so far to the Dave output - the HPA4 has a hint of dryness to the midrange, whereas Dave is completely smooth.

I don't sense any lack of power or straining with the Abyss at any volume. Though with some dynamic recordings you just don't have quite the volume you need (I'm always super nervous to go past +3db and that I'll clip).

Rob - any news on the digital amps? There has got to be a way to maintain this quality while retaining the smoothness. I'm up for suggestions on headphone or speaker amps that I haven't tried that - while may not be 100% transparent - will not lose that smooth, analog feel.

I wish I could rig a TT2 to be a headphone amplifier for the Dave.

You can run M scaler/Dave at +9dB and with loads above 16 ohms it's impossible to clip...

No news on the amps, been hyper busy on other projects.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #13,962 of 25,833
Benchmark ahb2 is a better choice if you want to feed dave directly into a power amp as if has far less distortion than any other power amp plus it has variable gain to adjust for normal listening levels which is the greatest feature of this amp. Low gain is more than enough for normal day to day listening levels which allows dave to operate in its higher operatinh range.

I admit that I have not heard the Benchmark ahb2 and so cannot offer any comparison with the Pass Labs XA30.8 or XA60.8. However I have found that technical spec is not the final indicator of how well an amp sounds and I have rejected a few with seemingly flawless specs but which did not sound as good as the Pass Labs. Have you compared the amps I mention to the Benchmark ahb2?

On the matter of wanting to run Dave in its higher operating range (volume) I suspect Rob Watts might have something to say about whether Daves volume attenuation has any audible effect on sound quality.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #13,964 of 25,833
Hi Rob,

Is that the same for DAVE/Blu2?

G

In case Rob doesn't see the question, yes it is the figures are the same for Blu2 Dave and Mscaler Dave.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #13,965 of 25,833
I don’t know if any others here have tested their electrics for DC Offset. It’s a form of electrical ‘double vision’ or blur. It affects the imaging and density of your images. As far as I can ascertain in the UK this is a very common problem.

Anyway, I identified this in my own electricity supply about 5yrs ago when I tried an Isotek Evo3 Syncro cable (Isotek have since included this in many other similar products) which cancels this harmful DC problem by rebalancing the mains sine wave. Maybe other manufacturers have similar products too, I don’t know.

Well yesterday I thought I would test the Dave’s ability to cope with this problem without assistance and I must say the result was not good. Even with DC Offset cancelling still working on my power amp when Dave isn’t directly assisted too the SQ is greatly compromised with this electrical phenomenon affecting its general focus, density/weight of images, staging, bass clarity and density, tone/timbre of instruments, layering of soundstage, pretty much the whole gambit really. I was shocked to hear the difference.

I just thought I would highlight this electrical phenomena in case others may have the same problem in their electrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back