Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #9,991 of 18,495
You have lost me there?

Mojo manual states a "special function", which if I recall was something to do with the mscaler ? I can't recall exactly what it was, but I do recall speaking to someone from chord about it and they said it had been dropped or something.

To be honest, maybe I dreamt it all ?

Ninja edit.

Yeah, I was sure I didn't dream it, here it is.

0CB28EC5-BEE2-4C94-BBA0-375625A6381C.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #9,992 of 18,495
special operation on usb 768khz i think but no processing of 1m taps. also maybe on coax. it's all a bit covert if you ask me.

upload_2020-1-25_23-15-26.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #9,993 of 18,495
special ops on usb 768khz but no processing of 1m taps i think. also maybe on coax. it's all a bit covert if you ask me.

MK replies as I was ninja editing my post.

I think it was originally meant to turn mojo into a 1 million taps mscaled 768khz device, but chord probably thought that doing that would hurt them financially. As folk would just buy a £400 mojo and an mscaler, instead of a £1800 hugo 2 and mscaler.

I dunno what went on during that coffee break, all I know is, I was promised a special operation and I never got it.

Is a vasectomy a special operation ?

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #9,994 of 18,495
i think mojo can accept 768khz under "special" conditions but it doesn't have the capability to process 1M taps is what i read somewhere. it can handle 0.5M taps i think again recalling from reading here on headfi.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #9,995 of 18,495
set private zone in roon on the i device to off and you can control it from the core without handling it. set the screen to go dark after 5mins. delete all unnecessary apps. it's an iphone with no cellular. disable all home page controls. that should cover things. i start with a fully charged i pod touch which gives me around 4 hours. i have an energizer 20,000mah power bank charged and ready. when the ipod battery is low plug in the powerbank and disengage when ipod is full. if you repeat this cycle you should get 20-30 hours of play time with no fuss. at the end i just plug the ipod and powerbank into an anker powerport 5 wall charger ready for next session. i've tried many combos for sources but the stripped down ipod touch is so low powered with such a small form factor the sound into hms/tt2 is really something special. i'm hearing extra clarity like crystal and small level details in music in tracks i know that i have never heard before.

i'll add a supra usb cable making that £270 for a source to challenge any hi end streamer with the key that my solution gives perfect usb isolation on battery. the cca sounded flat in comparison. i'm copying Rob's recommendation that his motorola phone was one of the best he's hearing now with perfect usb isolation. i've heard alot of sources and this simple set up is up there with the best. you just need to learn how to operate it efficiently with minimum fuss. much much better than iphone with cellular. app for ipod touch roon is in app store. with a 20,000mah powerbank ready to use with a small ipod touch battery 20-30 hours wifi music streaming.

I also use a Supra USB cable, which performs as well I can imagine without spending many hundreds of dollars on other usb cables.

IPhone XS Max (Qobuz, no WiFi) > silver Lightning to USB connector >AQ Jitterbug>Supra USB cable > HMS

and it is superb, extremely easy and simple.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #9,996 of 18,495
how do you factor in qobuz offline. doesn't it spoil the music discovery searching for new sounds interaction?

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #9,997 of 18,495
i think mojo can accept 768khz under "special" conditions but it doesn't have the capability to process 1M taps is what i read somewhere. it can handle 0.5M taps i think again recalling from reading here on headfi.

I dunno MK, I just recall somebody from chord saying something about it not working or whatever.

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #9,998 of 18,495
how do you factor in qobuz offline. doesn't it spoil the music discovery searching for new sounds interaction?

I do a lot of the discovery before my listening sessions. Then just download a few new albums to listen to. But honestly, I also don’t really notice a difference streaming something on Qobuz vs offline.

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #9,999 of 18,495
I dunno MK, I just recall somebody from chord saying something about it not working or whatever.
Of course HQPlayer with sinc-m at 768k usb into mojo equals 1m taps. Sayin.... lol

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #10,000 of 18,495
set private zone in roon on the i device to off and you can control it from the core without handling it. set the screen to go dark after 5mins. delete all unnecessary apps. it's an iphone with no cellular. disable all home page controls. that should cover things. i start with a fully charged i pod touch which gives me around 4 hours. i have an energizer 20,000mah power bank charged and ready. when the ipod battery is low plug in the powerbank and disengage when ipod is full. if you repeat this cycle you should get 20-30 hours of play time with no fuss. at the end i just plug the ipod and powerbank into an anker powerport 5 wall charger ready for next session. i've tried many combos for sources but the stripped down ipod touch is so low powered with such a small form factor the sound into hms/tt2 is really something special. i'm hearing extra clarity like crystal and small level details in music in tracks i know that i have never heard before.

i'll add a supra usb cable making that £270 for a source to challenge any hi end streamer with the key that my solution gives perfect usb isolation on battery. the cca sounded flat in comparison. i'm copying Rob's recommendation that his motorola phone was one of the best he's hearing now with perfect usb isolation. i've heard alot of sources and this simple set up is up there with the best. you just need to learn how to operate it efficiently with minimum fuss. much much better than iphone with cellular. app for ipod touch roon is in app store. with a 20,000mah powerbank ready to use with a small ipod touch battery 20-30 hours wifi music streaming.

I tried my iphone 8 last night, with a camera connector and a curious cable, straight into TT2. I could hear an improvement over CCA with ifi power supply.
This was after not hearing a difference between Zen and CCA, and CCA with and without ipower. Thanks for the info. I have some more questions:

- Have you actually compared iPod vs iPhone? I understand in theory that the cellular phone would cause more electrical activity and therefore noise, but can you hear a difference in practise?

- I don't fully understand why you use a battery energiser to recharge the ipod. As far as I understand you still need to stop music playback to plug in the charger (ipod only has one lightning socket), so why not just use a standard wall charger? I rarely listen for more than 4 hours so this is unlikely to be an issue for me.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #10,001 of 18,495
Mojo manual states a "special function", which if I recall was something to do with the mscaler ? I can't recall exactly what it was, but I do recall speaking to someone from chord about it and they said it had been dropped or something.

To be honest, maybe I dreamt it all ?

Ninja edit.

Yeah, I was sure I didn't dream it, here it is.

Dial back the clock to Jan 2015 - when Mojo was being designed. At that time, Dave was still being under development, and we had no DACs capable of 768 kHz; also, the M scaler hadn't started, it was a wish list product - something that I wanted to do in the future, and was planning for it - as soon as I could get my hands on the right FPGAs (which were not available then). Dave was going to be launched in May 2015, and I knew then that 768k was sounding much better for the first WTA filter - before this Hugo was 384 kHz WTA only.

The initial intent was for Mojo to support 768k inputs on USB (which of course it does) and to support 768k on the coax using dual BNC - ready for a possible future M scaler. But designing the Mojo was a challenge in thermals, power dissipation and battery life. Adding dual SPDIF support ended up being too expensive in power consumption (every milliwatt counts - dual SPDIF needs two SPDIF decoders in the FPGA) so I decided to drop the feature. After all, the number of future M scalers being used with Mojo was always very small, and I was years away from an M scaler type product. Losing 5 minutes of battery life for a potential very expensive future product didn't make any kind of sense.

So I dropped the feature, but it made it's way into the Mojo manual - and as soon as I saw it, the manual was corrected.

So you weren't dreaming.

Yes 768k on USB and 384k (0.5M taps) on coax.

Of course HQPlayer with sinc-m at 768k usb into mojo equals 1m taps. Sayin.... lol

But it's not a WTA algorithm. The algorithm is much more important than the tap length.

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #10,003 of 18,495
Finally I‘ll getting the M Scaler for my Hugo 2. I have been using a Mac Mini with linear power supply, Amarra and optical cable.
Now I wonder what is the consensus regarding music servers (micro-, ultra- etc. Rendu) upstream of MScaler? Is it superior to a Mac Mini?
Thank you for sharing your insights.
Cheers, Bruno

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #10,004 of 18,495
Dial back the clock to Jan 2015 - when Mojo was being designed. At that time, Dave was still being under development, and we had no DACs capable of 768 kHz; also, the M scaler hadn't started, it was a wish list product - something that I wanted to do in the future, and was planning for it - as soon as I could get my hands on the right FPGAs (which were not available then). Dave was going to be launched in May 2015, and I knew then that 768k was sounding much better for the first WTA filter - before this Hugo was 384 kHz WTA only.

The initial intent was for Mojo to support 768k inputs on USB (which of course it does) and to support 768k on the coax using dual BNC - ready for a possible future M scaler. But designing the Mojo was a challenge in thermals, power dissipation and battery life. Adding dual SPDIF support ended up being too expensive in power consumption (every milliwatt counts - dual SPDIF needs two SPDIF decoders in the FPGA) so I decided to drop the feature. After all, the number of future M scalers being used with Mojo was always very small, and I was years away from an M scaler type product. Losing 5 minutes of battery life for a potential very expensive future product didn't make any kind of sense.

So I dropped the feature, but it made it's way into the Mojo manual - and as soon as I saw it, the manual was corrected.

So you weren't dreaming.

Yes 768k on USB and 384k (0.5M taps) on coax.

But it's not a WTA algorithm. The algorithm is much more important than the tap length.

I was sure I read something about it somewhere or spoke to someone from chord about it, but I really couldn't of said with 100% certainty that I did. As me dreaming the whole thing up could easily of happened, as my pain meds at times make me think things that aren't real, and do things that are dumb, which every regular chord thread poster/reader can confirm.

Mojo is perfect as it is, even all these years later, folk still ask me what that thing with the shiny balls is, when they ask that, I usually tell them to stop looking and to use the urinal on the other wall instead.

I give mojo 10 out of 10 for sound and build quality, and I cannot moan about mojo at all, as I've had my monies worth out of it multiple times over :)

A question, say 10 years from now, if mojos battery was dead and I couldn't get another, will it work if I connected it to a usb power source, similar to hugo 2, which can work with the batteries removed, so long as the usb charger is connected ?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #10,005 of 18,495
I was sure I read something about it somewhere or spoke to someone from chord about it, but I really couldn't of said with 100% certainty that I did. As me dreaming the whole thing up could easily of happened, as my pain meds at times make me think things that aren't real, and do things that are dumb, which every regular chord thread poster/reader can confirm.

Mojo is perfect as it is, even all these years later, folk still ask me what that thing with the shiny balls is, when they ask that, I usually tell them to stop looking and to use the urinal on the other wall instead.

I give mojo 10 out of 10 for sound and build quality, and I cannot moan about mojo at all, as I've had my monies worth out of it multiple times over :)

A question, say 10 years from now, if mojos battery was dead and I couldn't get another, will it work if I connected it to a usb power source, similar to hugo 2, which can work with the batteries removed, so long as the usb charger is connected ?

Yes, it will work without batteries, as Rob himself has posted, but it’s not guaranteed because it wasn’t designed to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back