Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 12, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #9,286 of 18,621
I got a PowerPilot Pro and am running the M Scaler off of it at 12v per what Rob has detailed with battery/

It definitely relaxes the treble slightly and I am noticing sibilance is less pronounced.

It's an easy tweak but is a bit of a pain to hook up each time I want to use the system.

The guys with the Eagles avatar (the football team, not the band) said he was using a smart plug to turn it off and on with his phone.

Eagles guy (I'm from Philly originally too!), does this sufficiently isolate the battery when the switch is off? I was thinking of getting a run of the mill power strip and a smart plug and plugging it in - so essentially the power strip would be off while listening and on when I want to charge it.

Anyone else have any knowledge of whether this technically works?

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #9,287 of 18,621
I have no idea what you are talking about. Since when did windows affect or resample bit perfect playback? It's off topic so I am done.

I think is far from off-topic. Rob strongly recommends getting bit-perfect wilth all his dacs and specially mscaler.
Checking the color of sample rate received on your dac or mscaler is also important and far from off-topic. But if you don't care about it, ok.

Nov 12, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #9,288 of 18,621
Toroidal what are your thoughts do you think I'm far enough away from the woo wa33 amp which is a powerful toroidal amp... thoughts?

10379880_thumb.jpg

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #9,289 of 18,621
I have no idea what you are talking about. Since when did windows affect or resample bit perfect playback? It's off topic so I am done.

I think is far from off-topic. Rob strongly recommends getting bit-perfect wilth all his dacs and specially mscaler.
Checking the color of sample rate received on your dac or mscaler is also important and far from off-topic. But if you don't care about it, ok.

Well if you care so much, why not answer the question of mine that you quoted. Media Centre sets either Windows: Direct Sound, WASAPI, or ASIO. The Sound control (from Control Panel) on PC routes it. I already said that in as many words. What more do you want? I already told you this but you argued with me. Then you insult me for being dismissive of Chord products. What already? What? What do you even think it is, that you want to know?

Sound.png

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #9,291 of 18,621
Toroidal what are your thoughts do you think I'm far enough away from the woo wa33 amp which is a powerful toroidal amp... thoughts?
Please consider that it is not just the distance between the boxes that you need to think about but also the cable routes. Some of your cables seem to go quite near to your other equipment and to other cables. It is generally recommended not to have cables running parallel to each other (touching is even worse) and to cross them at 90 degrees if they need to cross each other. As an aside, I have found some tube amps to be susceptible to interference as well as being a possible source themselves.

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #9,292 of 18,621
Please consider that it is not just the distance between the boxes that you need to think about but also the cable routes. Some of your cables seem to go quite near to your other equipment and to other cables. It is generally recommended not to have cables running parallel to each other (touching is even worse) and to cross them at 90 degrees if they need to cross each other. As an aside, I have found some tube amps to be susceptible to interference as well as being a possible source themselves.
Is that for any kind of cable, digital or speaker or power ?

Nov 13, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #9,293 of 18,621
I got a PowerPilot Pro and am running the M Scaler off of it at 12v per what Rob has detailed with battery/

It definitely relaxes the treble slightly and I am noticing sibilance is less pronounced.

It's an easy tweak but is a bit of a pain to hook up each time I want to use the system.

The guys with the Eagles avatar (the football team, not the band) said he was using a smart plug to turn it off and on with his phone.
Interesting feedback, thanks. I read another post about the PP2 which said disconnecting the mains charging current did not make a noticeable difference. Have you tested that, before going for something more sophisticated?

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #9,295 of 18,621
Few months ago I got a LPS for my Mscaler made by Sean Jacobs (guy who makes the LPS for all Innuos Servers) and I immediately noticed how much More dynamic the sound became with zero sibilance or harshness. All the other aspects of a good LPS were also heard.
I have been emailing Sean Jacobs about buying a DC3 LPSU with "upgraded regulator module" for my M Scaler and have a provisional build date of March 2020. He has just asked me to warn people that he's very busy at the moment but is actively looking for assistance to fix this. http://www.custom-hifi-cables.co.uk/home
HTH,
Hugh

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #9,296 of 18,621

not worried about the cables ran it this way when I had the blu2; those BNC's are basically RFI proof.. never had issues with them I'm only interested in the placement of the Mscaler not interested in anything else........ I want opinions on the distance between the amp and HMS.

The woo wa33 is a very strong amp.. I haven't used it yet with the HMS but soon will...

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #9,297 of 18,621
You place the amp in your neighbors house running shielded cable underground, that should do it. Just work out a quid pro quo, USA good for those things. :relaxed::relaxed:

Nov 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #9,299 of 18,621
Nov 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #9,300 of 18,621

Users who are viewing this thread

Back