Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 11, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #9,256 of 18,408
=
Just tried this HQ player poly sync long lp filter to upscale redbook to 768k.
nothing like hms to my ears. no background reverb (no chapel feeling) not evident bass presence as gives hms and harshness still is there. Not the harshness but there is no easy flow as HMS gives. i cant put volume same as with hms.
Thats my oppinion.

So no need for Rob Watts to quake in his boots? (Its an english expression)

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #9,258 of 18,408
Has anyone ever experienced the "bypass" feature simply not working?

I had a guy over this weekend to show off the M Scaler, but unfortunately when I cycled through the OP SR options no audio would come out. For example, playing a 16/44 file from Innuos server, input was red (44), output was white (708), then when I hit OP SR to bypass or cycle through the other output sampling rates, the output would change to red (or blue, or green, etc) but NO SOUND would come out. Then finally when I got back to the highest SR output the audio would come back.

Looked through the manual and it looked like I was doing everything correctly, but unfortunately my guest didn't get to hear the difference for himself.

Nov 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #9,259 of 18,408
Tried the same setup HQP4 to my TT(1) but at 384k of course. It has a more profound effect than the mscaler to this dac and is a pleasing upgrade. I think I will leave HQPlayer to the TT for now. I am not saying it is more accurate or better but definitely not worse. HQPlayer got me to proceed with the mscaler upgrade. In retrospect I should have put my money on on a new TT2. The hardware solution of the mscaler is definitely more stable. IMHO.

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #9,260 of 18,408

I had a guy over this weekend to show off the M Scaler, but unfortunately when I cycled through the OP SR options no audio would come out. For example, playing a 16/44 file from Innuos server, input was red (44), output was white (708), then when I hit OP SR to bypass or cycle through the other output sampling rates, the output would change to red (or blue, or green, etc) but NO SOUND would come out. Then finally when I got back to the highest SR output the audio would come back.

Looked through the manual and it looked like I was doing everything correctly, but unfortunately my guest didn't get to hear the difference for himself.

This is normally resolved by swopping over the BNC cables.

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #9,261 of 18,408
Had that problem too - and my BNC cables were the correct way round - but it fixed itself after a while - not the faintest idea why - keep trying from time to time and see if your's too resolves itself...

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #9,262 of 18,408
Yes BNC cables are definitely set up properly. The bypass was working when I first got the M Scaler and I haven't used it again until this weekend - no changes have been made on plugging and unplugging cables, etc. I'll keep working with it and maybe do the usual power down, power up type stuff. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #9,263 of 18,408
Yes BNC cables are definitely set up properly. The bypass was working when I first got the M Scaler and I haven't used it again until this weekend - no changes have been made on plugging and unplugging cables, etc. I'll keep working with it and maybe do the usual power down, power up type stuff. Thanks!

if the signal from mscaler to tt2 doesn’t require dual Bnc then my tt2 will not automatically look for the signal on “bnc”. But once the mscaler rate changes back to dbnc it picks it up again.
Flicking tt2 to bnc can then pick up the signal from mscaler.
Could it be that ?

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #9,264 of 18,408

Weird... just happened to me. Tried powering down mscaler but to no avail. Cycling through the H2 inputs corrected it.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #9,266 of 18,408
@racebit
IMO, the latest HQPlayer 4.2.0 'poly-sinc-long-lp' enters the realm where it is indistinguishable(*) from WTA1. It's now available (on HQPlayer website) for any HMS owner to download and test using USB for A/B comparison (A: set PCM Mode, DAC bits=24, filter=poly-sinc-long-lp, dither=none, rate=768k (HMS does pass-through) or B: set filter=none so HMS does the upsampling ). If you run the test on a x64 CPU then Jussi uses 80-bit extended precision floating point. The SQ is unlike anything else.

When you say "indistinguishable from WTA1" I assume you mean mscaler WTA1. Because if I understand correctly all Chord DACs have a WTA1, and mscaler is just a (better) replacement WTA1.
In fact when we feed any Chord DAC with 705.6K we are disabling the DAC WTA1, replacing it with another upscaler which may be better, but may also be worse.
Looking strictly to number of taps, do you know the number of taps of the poly-sinc-long-lp?
My concern is that as Jussi states many taps are not required, his filter may have much less taps than even Chord DAC WTA1, which we are replacing. So it could be a downgrade instead of an upgrade.
Of course more important of all is how it sounds in the end. So back to the beginning it seems you say HQPlayer matches mscaler WTA1, so much better than Chord DAC WTA1.

I am in the process of testing HQPlayer myself, but unfortunately I could only get 352.8K to work. Setting 705.6K does play but with a clicking digital noise.
My desktop is a 10 year old dual core i3 with intel integrated graphics. Soon I will get a new 8 core 7nm Ryzen, and will test 705.6K again.
As expected any output rate not multiple of input rate (even 48K or 32K output rate) gets me CPU overload and will not work, while 352.8K being multiple of 44.1K works fine.
No GPU needed. It seems GPU is only required for DSD (Vade retro Satan!!)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #9,267 of 18,408
@racebit
WTA1 is in every chord DAC and the mscaler. It's the upsample to 16fs or 705.6/768.
It's a combination of mathematics and implementation. The math is straightforward ...but needs to be executed at high precision at high tap counts. RW has shown how high we need to go to cross over the uncanny valley where music begins to sound real. All mscaler owners know of what I am taking about.

Implementation on FPGA has its challenges and RW has overcome those. Implementation on CPUs has access to more cycles and compute resources so the burden is somewhat less. I run HQPlayer's poly-sinc-long-lp filter at 16fs PCM on my Core i7 at only 10%. Its has well over 1M taps, BTW.

My claim is that we've reached a cross roads. (Good for music lovers), where software upsampling produces an equivalent (or better) bit train to WTA1. To make them sound the same you need to provide equivalent signal paths and manage the source RF noise differences.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #9,268 of 18,408
Just got this USB to optical adapter today:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0779S6NC6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V2D1K3Z

Works perfect up to 192K/32, Windows 7-10, Linux, Mac. ASIO driver. I recommend to people missing an optical output to connect to Chord DAC or mscaler.
At this moment I am using it, together with Chord USB and motherboard optical, to have 3 apps (foobar, MPC-BE and HQPlayer playing simultaneously on my desktop, to 3 different DACs and 3 different headphones. Now I am searching on amazon for two more pairs of ears...

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #9,269 of 18,408
I notice Sean Jacobs and Paul Hynes keep coming up when discussions turn to PSUs. As well as producing 3 grades of unit (SR4, 5, 7 & DC1, 2, 3) are their products basically the same, has anyone experience of both?

SR7 is the best one if your willing to wait a year... and again... I need to push this into your mind I don't care what anyone else tells you here... 9V or 12V message the creator himself if you need to and DO NOT use another power supply other than the one provided (mains) officially or you void your warranty....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back