Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 15, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #8,701 of 18,491
Have the SOtM cables reduced the RF noise at all?
Definitely yes. Now, have they reduced it more or less than the WAVE or other cables? I can't answer that. The SOtM cables have a filter box in the middle of the cable that filters out noise. The cables, and the filtering box, are actually quick large and substantial (a much bigger size than I had expected). I don't know if the size really matters, but it is what it is.

The filtering technology on the BNCs are the same as the ones on their Cat7 Lan and USB cables. The background is very quiet (noticeably more than stock). I'm not really sure how to quantify background noise and compare it to other cables, but I am happy with the sound of the SOtM cables.

They also have a higher, and much more noticeable, resolution compared to the stock and moon-audio ones. The bass is also much better (more quantity and higher focus). Also, the treble is much, much better. I never really understood why everybody liked increased treble. I always thought treble was harsh and hurt my ears at times. With the SOtM bncs, I now understand why everybody likes treble. The treble sounds absolutely amazing on the SOtM cables. I had expected a better low-end from the reviews I've read, so the increase is quality of the treble really caught me off guard. I don't know how to describe it other than it felt like hail before, and now it feels like a a dense sprinkle of rain.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #8,702 of 18,491
Definitely yes. Now, have they reduced it more or less than the WAVE or other cables? I can't answer that. The SOtM cables have a filter box in the middle of the cable that filters out noise. The cables, and the filtering box, are actually quick large and substantial (a much bigger size than I had expected). I don't know if the size really matters, but it is what it is.

The filtering technology on the BNCs are the same as the ones on their Cat7 Lan and USB cables. The background is very quiet (noticeably more than stock). I'm not really sure how to quantify background noise and compare it to other cables, but I am happy with the sound of the SOtM cables.

They also have a higher, and much more noticeable, resolution compared to the stock and moon-audio ones. The bass is also much better (more quantity and higher focus). Also, the treble is much, much better. I never really understood why everybody liked increased treble. I always thought treble was harsh and hurt my ears at times. With the SOtM bncs, I now understand why everybody likes treble. The treble sounds absolutely amazing on the SOtM cables. I had expected a better low-end from the reviews I've read, so the increase is quality of the treble really caught me off guard. I don't know how to describe it other than it felt like hail before, and now it feels like a a dense sprinkle of rain.

Maybe burn in will help with the bass.

I've decided that I'll just go straight to the Wave cables (once my bank account recovers from buying Abyss 1266 TC and TT2 in the same month), just not sure which of the Storm or Stream to go to.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #8,703 of 18,491
Thanks, great to hear slightly different opinions on things.
But your Apple Music is perhaps a poor choice as it’s already been butchered by apples conversion codecs? It’s not flac quality is it ?

I am using Apple Music (as in the "new" iTunes to manage my playlists). The tracks were encoded in Apple Lossless codec. Even low res files benefited from the M-scaler.

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #8,704 of 18,491
Hey guys, I know this is an Mscaler thread (I haven’t opened that box yet) but I just unpacked the TT2 and it rattles a little bit. Not like there’s anything free floating inside, it just sounds like something moving on a rail. No sign of damaged, it was sealed tight but my power conditioner arrived damaged so I’m a little paranoid. Is that normal? (the rattle not my paranoia)

Oct 15, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #8,705 of 18,491
Hey guys, I know this is an Mscaler thread (I haven’t opened that box yet) but I just unpacked the TT2 and it rattles a little bit. Not like there’s anything free floating inside, it just sounds like something moving on a rail. No sign of damaged, it was sealed tight but my power conditioner arrived damaged so I’m a little paranoid. Is that normal? (the rattle not my paranoia)

The colour balls are loosen by design.

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #8,708 of 18,491

Yeah it's the ball bearing buttons. I freaked out too, months ago. (When we press the ball-bearings they perform action on buttons behind them.)

The colour balls are loosen by design.

Steel ball bearings, not coloured buttons.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #8,709 of 18,491
My mscaler rattled so I opened it. There was an extra very small screw rolling around. Not a joke. Distributor offered to take it back but shipping and insurance was on me. I decided to close it up and keep the screw as a spare. So far so good.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #8,710 of 18,491
I have done testing with and without the mscaler connected to TT2. I listened to TT2 on it's own for roughly a week, and TT2 sounds great on it's own.

However, I added the mscaler to the mix and I'm not going attempt to describe the difference as I will fail at trying to describe it.

The music seems more musical and it's much easier to follow quieter background instruments that are usually obscured or hard to follow by louder up front instruments. I don't read music, but it feels like it's easier to hear the starting and stopping of notes, the timing of instruments/notes seems much more defined.

When I listened to TT2 on it's own, compared to having the mscaler in the loop, the music seemed flatter, take flatter with a pinch of salt, as TT2 on it's own sounds great, but flatter is the word I would use to describe the difference between tt2 and mtt2.

When I rebuilt my Nuc and stuck it in a fanless case, I reconnected the mscaler to tt2 and that night the music sounded magic, and I was using my Aeon Flow Closed headphones, which I'm not too keen on, but that listening session was one of the best sounding that I've had out of my setup to date.

Anyway, Rob, I'm sorry, you're mscaler does work, but it's just bloody hard to describe the changes it makes to music other than saying "it sounds better than tt2 on it's own".

It does however make things seem more spacious and it's easier to hear and follow all the different instruments, also the timing of things. I can only presume that I was smoking crack when I said I couldn't hear the difference between tt2 and mtt2 the other week.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #8,711 of 18,491
I have done testing with and without the mscaler connected to TT2. I listened to TT2 on it's own for roughly a week, and TT2 sounds great on it's own.

However, I added the mscaler to the mix and I'm not going attempt to describe the difference as I will fail at trying to describe it.

The music seems more musical and it's much easier to follow quieter background instruments that are usually obscured or hard to follow by louder up front instruments. I don't read music, but it feels like it's easier to hear the starting and stopping of notes, the timing of instruments/notes seems much more defined.

When I listened to TT2 on it's own, compared to having the mscaler in the loop, the music seemed flatter, take flatter with a pinch of salt, as TT2 on it's own sounds great, but flatter is the word I would use to describe the difference between tt2 and mtt2.

When I rebuilt my Nuc and stuck it in a fanless case, I reconnected the mscaler to tt2 and that night the music sounded magic, and I was using my Aeon Flow Closed headphones, which I'm not too keen on, but that listening session was one of the best sounding that I've had out of my setup to date.

Anyway, Rob, I'm sorry, you're mscaler does work, but it's just bloody hard to describe the changes it makes to music other than saying "it sounds better than tt2 on it's own".

It does however make things seem more spacious and it's easier to hear and follow all the different instruments, also the timing of things. I can only presume that I was smoking crack when I said I couldn't hear the difference between tt2 and mtt2 the other week.

Wait! The mScaler works? Damn, my wallet.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #8,712 of 18,491
Are people generally setting these up side by side? They are so compact that they are lost in my sanus rack sitting on their own shelves. And the Wave cables, while beautiful to behold, are heavy beasts. Side by side might help to support the cable but not sure if the 2 pieces should be isolated from each other. Also the way the power cord is configured, I assume an upgraded PC isn't something peeps are doing?

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #8,713 of 18,491
@Amberlamps - maybe smoking crack that night? How was the koolaid?

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #8,715 of 18,491

Users who are viewing this thread

Back