Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,491 of 18,435
Can you explain the differences between the two kinds of ferrites and why one improves things but the other makes them worse, or is it that this is just what you’ve found?
A while ago when I tried to wrap my head around ferrites I called Fair Rite and had a discussion with an application engineer. Here is the summary: the materials permeability can be changed to target different frequencies. By splitting a ferrite core you increase the q of its filter characteristics and push its peak frequency higher. Ferrites are most effective if they are tight fitting and the more surface area that is in contact with the shield increases the effectiveness. Some have stated the split in a snap on might make a lens for rf to migrate out.
My personal experience is between Blu2 and Dave I used 16 clip on high frequency ferrites which was very effective. Directly into Dave from a source I’ve found using both lf and hf non split core ferrites that are long with more surface area to be very effective. I don’t have an HMS yet so I can’t comment on what works best there but I’ll try lf ferrites that are not split core since the hf rf issue has been addressed internally

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,492 of 18,435
A while ago when I tried to wrap my head around ferrites I called Fair Rite and had a discussion with an application engineer. Here is the summary: the materials permeability can be changed to target different frequencies. By splitting a ferrite core you increase the q of its filter characteristics and push its peak frequency higher. Ferrites are most effective if they are tight fitting and the more surface area that is in contact with the shield increases the effectiveness. Some have stated the split in a snap on might make a lens for rf to migrate out.
My personal experience is between Blu2 and Dave I used 16 clip on high frequency ferrites which was very effective. Directly into Dave from a source I’ve found using both lf and hf non split core ferrites that are long with more surface area to be very effective. I don’t have an HMS yet so I can’t comment on what works best there but I’ll try lf ferrites that are not split core since the hf rf issue has been addressed internally

Thanks, that helps, and I can see why solid core might be more affective than clip-on though I’m still unsure why higher frequency or greater leakage of RF from the ferrites makes things worse than no ferrites at all. Odd.

Anyway, Nick’s add looks good, and they’ve put it opposite a review of a Chord amp. The add says “Handmade in the Vale of Belvoir”, but maybe he should have used John Franks’ “Fred in his shed” quote.

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,493 of 18,435
Thanks, that helps, and I can see why solid core might be more affective than clip-on though I’m still unsure why higher frequency or greater leakage of RF from the ferrites makes things worse than no ferrites at all. Odd.

Anyway, Nick’s add looks good, and they’ve put it opposite a review of a Chord amp. The add says “Handmade in the Vale of Belvoir”, but maybe he should have used John Franks’ “Fred in his shed” quote.
Perhaps Rob is using hf clipon ferrites? I too don’t understand why it would be worse?

Nov 2, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #2,494 of 18,435
Can you explain the differences between the two kinds of ferrites and why one improves things but the other makes them worse, or is it that this is just what you’ve found?

Here’s @Rob Watts original quote.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.885042/page-163#post-14572281

Notice he expected clip on ferrites “to make no difference”, and was surprised that they sounded worse.

I am pretty sure he would expect solid core ferrites to make no difference as well. And they might even sound worse, for whatever reason the clip on ones do.

He was aware of the RF issue in the Blu2 and took steps to design it out of the M Scaler. I can’t imagine he intended it to be necessary for people to spend nearly £500 on additional cabling.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,495 of 18,435

Thanks for the comment on the advert. I’ll take the Fred in the Shed comment hopefully in the light hearted way I think you mean.

@Rob Watts was I think as surprised as anyone that clip on ferrites could actually make HMS worse as that is completely counterintuitive. I have linked his name in case he wants to comment but I’m not sure there is much more to say.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,496 of 18,435
Thanks for the comment on the advert. I’ll take the Fred in the Shed comment hopefully in the light hearted way I think you mean.

@Rob Watts was I think as surprised as anyone that clip on ferrites could actually make HMS worse as that is completely counterintuitive. I have linked his name in case he wants to comment but I’m not sure there is much more to say.

Indeed, it was meant in a light-hearted way. I’m not sure why there’s a problem with something being handmade, and it gives an arts and crafts feel to the advertisement, balancing out the “The Art of Music, the Science of Sound” banner at the top of the ad.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,497 of 18,435
Indeed, it was meant in a light-hearted way. I’m not sure why there’s a problem with something being handmade, and it gives an arts and crafts feel to the advertisement, balancing out the “The Art of Music, the Science of Sound” banner at the top of the ad.
In France it is common for small businesses to label their products 'artisinal' because that is perceived as 'made by an individual, with a passion for their product, who will focus on the quality of the product, rather than trying to cut costs/quality'.

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #2,498 of 18,435
In France it is common for small businesses to label their products 'artisinal' because that is perceived as 'made by an individual, with a passion for their product, who will focus on the quality of the product, rather than trying to cut costs/quality'.

Presumably, there’s no hand assembly at Chord, and it’s all done by machines in something that couldn’t resemble a shed, such as a temperature-controlled, air-filtered environment.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,499 of 18,435
Nov 2, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,500 of 18,435
Nov 2, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #2,502 of 18,435
Do you need to start with a relatively high quality source to make the M scaler worth while or could you use Apple Music or Spotify as a source?

I can confirm with a pair of extremely resolving headphones (aka Focal Utopia), you will even hear the difference with Apple Music (at the highest bitrate).

I didn’t test it with less capable headphones as I found it really a waste what I was hearing on the Chord Dave + M scaler.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #2,503 of 18,435
I’m not sure what Nick has in his cables but here is what I would have in a custom coax cable
Cable $30
Trompeter milspec connectors $30
Fair Rite ferrites $20
Misc heat shrink nylon braid etc $5
Labor 1hr @ $75
$160 x 5 (cost of goods sold x 5 is about what it takes to stay in business) = $800 so Nicks pricing is about right

Andrew you paid Chord $9000 for a $100 FPGA where is your whining?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #2,504 of 18,435
16DF18F3-6E19-45F5-B9EB-8FA9438BE783.jpeg
I’m not sure what Nick has in his cables but here is what I would have in a custom coax cable
Cable $30
Fair Rite ferrites $20
Labor 1hr @ $75
$160 x 5 (cost of goods sold x 5 is about what it takes to stay in business) = $800 so Nicks pricing is about right

The prices are listed in the ad:

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #2,505 of 18,435
Cable $30
Fair Rite ferrites $20
Labor 1hr @ $75

Andrew you paid Chord $9000 for a $100 FPGA where is your whining?

Bluejeans can make a competent cable using Canare connectors and Belden cable and make money for £15. Add a fiver for ferrites tops. £20. A bit for postage, £30 mebbe. Times 2 £60.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/digital-audio/index.htm

Difference between a Chord DAC and these wires is called Rob Watts. Every claim he makes he can back up with measurements and theoretical modelling. You really think a wire should be more expensive than a Mojo?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back